Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a HKS SQV. As i got it second hand, i would like to ask HKS SQV owners, does the sound of the SQV have a very high pitch sound combined with air release sound??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, that's the sound they make, however it is possible to alter this by changing the insert. About 23.00 |PLS| vat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the insert, i look at mine and i don't think mine can be removed, do you think only the newer model can have the insert removed??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have got the MK3 Super SQV (Bullet Shape) then you will be able to remove the insert..gold plate insert suppose to be the loudest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a load of ####. You guys are willing to shell out serious money for a 'sound'. The stock valve works fine. If you really want to waste your money, send your cash to me !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree with Bruce, folking out large amount of money just for the 'sound.' Isn't that a bit of a waste and that is strictly my own opinion. After all everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a really nice loud bang then a loudish ticking noise from the top of my engine and it only cost me £8k

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does a B.O.V JUST make a noise? Is that the sole intention? REALLY? Please let me know, 'cos £200 ish for a noise that sounds like the left front wing is loose sounds silly, or am I missing something?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce

Does BOV really do nothing at all? If that's the case why all the famous tuning manufatures still keep on
brining them out for the market?
Does that means whoever has fiited BOV are considered stupid?
I think everyone has their own preference, but you can simply make your judgement like this ...I think it's not fair at all.

I personally haven't got a BOV fiited on my EVO5 yet, and I am not a professional mechanic at all, so can you please tell me what's the disadvantages? And what sort of problem I might need to face after fitting a BOV?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh wow....how can this subject suddenly turn other way round...!?
I will rather sort called 'waste' money on my car for personal satisfaction instead of sending cash to you...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No one is right,no one is wronghttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

In fact if you fit a blow off valve in a standard evo is only for the sound.
I don't think that spendig money for the sound is a real waste if thats what you are looking for.

The problem is that many times what you get is the sound,but you have some problems too.
With vent to air bov,the air realeased is going outside when with recirculating ones it goes in your turbo again.
When you use the vta,the ecu thinks that the air released is going back to your engine and gives the right amount of fuel for it,but in reality the air is going out so the mixture becames too rich,causing stalling at low speeds and idle problems.

The advantage is that if your boos pressure is higher than standard the upgraded bov will not leak some boost pressure,and in the case of a really high tuned engine maybe it can release the air faster when you shift at high rpm.

It should be useful if you do drag accelerations with a 800bhp skyline,not that much on road applications.

The best way to go is probably a special recirculating dump valve(power engineering or forge)that is not plastic and hold more boost.

If you like the 'pppssssshhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiwwwwwww' made by blow off valves,just fit a HKS induction kit or others and you will be able to hear the air sound made by the standard valve,even if slightly lower than with a bov fitted.
But doing that you spend your money havin a better filter,some noise when accelerating,dump valve noise when release,and maybe a few more bhp!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No one is right,no one is wronghttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

In fact if you fit a blow off valve in a standard evo is only for the sound.
I don't think that spendig money for the sound is a real waste if thats what you are looking for.

The problem is that many times what you get is the sound,but you have some problems too.
With vent to air bov,the air realeased is going outside when with recirculating ones it goes in your turbo again.
When you use the vta,the ecu thinks that the air released is going back to your engine and gives the right amount of fuel for it,but in reality the air is going out so the mixture becames too rich,causing stalling at low speeds and idle problems.

The advantage is that if your boos pressure is higher than standard the upgraded bov will not leak some boost pressure,and in the case of a really high tuned engine maybe it can release the air faster when you shift at high rpm.

It should be useful if you do drag accelerations with a 800bhp skyline,not that much on road applications.

The best way to go is probably a special recirculating dump valve(power engineering or forge)that is not plastic and hold more boost.

If you like the 'pppssssshhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiwwwwwww' made by blow off valves,just fit a HKS induction kit or others and you will be able to hear the air sound made by the standard valve,even if slightly lower than with a bov

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very good explanation of the pros and cons of a blow off valve Maxi.
As you say, on a standard or slightly modified car, the standard one is fine. On a mega-modified big boost rocketship, they do need upgrading.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hks themselves recommend the fitting of recirculating conversion kit for the sqv on evo engines,in their catalogue !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the SSQV on my VI and have to say that I am very pleased with the results, since changing it I have felt the car is quicker through the gears and more responsive (less lag). I DON'T have any problems with stalling or running lean or Idling etc.
Mouton,
can you give me more details about the recirculating kit. I have never heard of it. However mine runs fine as it is and I think it was money well spent. However everyone has their own preferences.
Just my 2p worth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ref mouton . To c2gsr|PLS|evoboy. HKS SSQV recirculation fittings are available for turbocharged vehicles equipped with a factory air-mass sensor.The recirculation fitting allows the pressurized air to be recirculated back into the air intake tract,preventing a rich signal being sent to the ECU.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had an SQV fitted to my Evo V, it does cause some problems on idling and if you allow the revs to drop from a higher figure down to idle it would sometime cut out the engine. It does make a louder sound (especially as I was running it with the Induction kit, downpipe, no cat and hyper muffler) but the engine does feel more repsonsive and holds boost better (I was running 1.2 bar). It also helps to give good flame outs on overun! (due to the richer fueling and no cat)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive just fiited a SQV to GSR and god is it good.
My girlfriend thinks differently however, she says it sounds like a bus and is not at all impressed at how much money I have spent on it.
The car now seems to pull better, but one thing I have noticed is that it dosnt rev to the limit as quickly as it did. Before i would find myself looking at the rev counter just as it reached the redline when I changed gear, now when I look its only around 6000 revs. But the pull of the cars feels so much better, may be its just me thinking its quicker!!!
Getting a HKS super power flow filter when co-orsport give me the right one (they gave me one gone for a STI!!!!!!!!!!!).
See what difference that makes
(Cheers Evoboy)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts