Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

We recently purchased a non-running Evo 5 project. We had hoped to use the existing exhaust (Fujitsubo), but corrosion has taken its toll.

We prefer a standard exhaust (non-angled) and quiet due to neighbors/laws.

The HKS Silent Hi Power is our top choice currently, but understand it is not a full 3 inch tip to tip. There is a neck down at some point - possibly at the resonator? We are adding a 3 inch elbow/down pipe and would like to maintain to the rear.

We've read where folks modify this section for full 3 inch - ask if folks could offer an image or instructions on how to accomplish.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thetyrant: Thanks for the response. Goal is only 400, but hate to be inefficient at 'upgrades.' We aren't even positive where the issue is.

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
thetyrant: Thanks for the response. Goal is only 400, but hate to be inefficient at 'upgrades.' We aren't even positive where the issue is.
If you want 3" then i would go the magnex 3" from rossport with rolled in tailpipe version if there is still 2 options, the rolled in tip is much quieter than massive slash cut version and makes sensible amount of noise, might need to add another silencer if you want it really quiet as true 3" and oem type quiet is tricky!

·
Registered
563 Posts
The pipe through the centre of the back box is significantly smaller than 3" (likely a significant part of the reason they're so quiet). You couldn't really fix it without replacing the back box altogether.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VR-4Squid: Excellent info! Unfortunate though...nonetheless, quiet is the requirement for the area along with a OEM like install. We ended up ordering the HKS Silent Hi Power system...

Appreciate the comments folks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
VR-4Squid: Excellent info! Unfortunate though...nonetheless, quiet is the requirement for the area along with a OEM like install. We ended up ordering the HKS Silent Hi Power system...

Appreciate the comments folks.
I had a HKS hi power silent, i can confirm it's very quiet, too quiet infact... it's wrong on an evo!!! :crackup:

I remember it being 3" but tapering down in parts to 2.75", it's obvious to see where these parts are. Cutting and welding will be required to make it 3" but if I'm honest I'm not sure if it will be worth it. Good luck anyway!

·
North Wales RO
4,842 Posts
If you were after quiet then you have ordered a good system. I had mine on a VIII 260 for years and it was quiet.

I'm sure the mid pipe was mild steel which was one of the downsides. It was still a nice exhaust though.

·
North Wales RO
4,842 Posts
In fact, on reflection mine wasn't silent it was the Hi-Power. Too many beers!

Wow, the silent really will be quiet!

·
Tarmac Tyre Shredder
14,514 Posts
Ive had both the hks hi power 409 and the hks hi power silent

Both nice sounding exhausts..the silent is full stainless and quality..the 409 isnt all stainless and will rust...and curves around the diff which is crap imo

The silent is VERY quiet and a bit restrictive...but still nice

The 409 is louder but not by that much....pity it isnt full stainless

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All - appreciate the comments.

Even if unable to 'correct' the sections to 3 inch, a quiet system is a requirement no matter...especially where we live with lots of interested folks (ie neighbors).

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I did this modification to mine, pic of the offending narrow section attached.
If you buy 2 or 3 x 3" stainless flanges and a few gaskets you can weld the flange to the pipe (after you've chopped it) and then use the other flanges to take up the space. I got away without the 2nd flange as my system was off an 8 which is slightly longer than the 9 to start with.
It seems that everyone that's had a HP Silent fitted says they found it too quiet :lol:

If buying used make sure the hanger/ fitting kit is included as it mounts very differently to the Super Dragger. Also if your car is lowered within an inch of its life you may struggle as the backbox is 2x the diameter of the Super Dragger.

The main reason for my change was aesthetics, I didn't like the look of the tapered tailpipe.
It is very quiet when driving normally but once you floor it sounds like a jet fighter. I also run a silenced decat with that eliminates the cabin drone when on a long run. Might have a change and pop the HKS back on this summer.

Short vid of the 2 exhausts. I'm running a TTS214b (which sounds horrific when coming on boost) and circa 550hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
The internal diameter of the piping (2.5-3 inch) isn't the limiting factor for top end power - unless you're shooting for 600+HP

I used to insist every exhaust I have must be 3inch or more or I am going to lose performance - I was wrong. I ran 21 psi boost on my DR750 Turbo'd GTO - easily 500+ horses based on how it beat other 450+ hp cars with the stock cat-back 2.75 inch system!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts