Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you technical guys know the exact material specification of the exhaust manifold that HKS sell?

Cheers in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can tell you that my union for egt guage was tig welded in place,and they said something about no feed wire to the welds ???????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it is stainless steel, but want to know the specification number. High temp, high tensile.

Come on tech bods, HH6, Lightspeed, Evoboy, anyone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably AISI 304 or 316.

Unless they make a big marketing point of it most tuners are pretty cagey about material specs and the like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lightspeed is probably correct , it oxidises when subjected to exhaust heat like 304 , so u lose that expensive polishing :(

Best material is inconel , u aircraft types shud b able 2 pick up some ahem cheap ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers chaps, I'll have to do some more research, I was just interested to know the spec HKS used so as to know the quality and temp resistance.

Evoboy, I'd love to use Inconel 718 or 601, but it's price is horrendous even for me. Certain materials are another possibility such as Hastalloy X, but price and availibility are again not good.
Heat resistant stainless is cheaper and easier to obtain, I just have to collate some more info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beryllium is a material that when added to metals such as copper, nickel or aluminium, increases their strength and ability to withstand extreme heat and remain stable (crystalline structure). It's properties are unmatched by any other material.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Original Post:
Beryllium is a material that when added to metals such as copper, nickel or aluminium, increases their strength and ability to withstand extreme heat and remain stable (crystalline structure). It's properties are unmatched by any other material.
Do Not, I repeat Do Not start cutting away at Beryllium. It is a extremely harmful to inhale its dust and for a small percentage of the population fatal. Beryllium is also a controlled substance since it is required for certain types of nuclear weapons.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Original Post:
Cheers chaps, I'll have to do some more research, I was just interested to know the spec HKS used so as to know the quality and temp resistance.

Evoboy, I'd love to use Inconel 718 or 601, but it's price is horrendous even for me. Certain materials are another possibility such as Hastalloy X, but price and availibility are again not good.
Heat resistant stainless is cheaper and easier to obtain, I just have to collate some more info.
Hastalloy X and Inconel 718, Waspalloy are all a pain to work with. There abrasive, gummy and harden while you cut them.

If some one scrapes a couple of flakes off and send it to me, I could analyze it and tell you what they use.

Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do Not, I repeat Do Not start cutting away at Beryllium. It is a extremely harmful to inhale its dust and for a small percentage of the population fatal. Beryllium is also a controlled substance since it is required for certain types of nuclear weapons.

my lad said he felt ill after cutting up some old works Honda brackets to fit on his pushbike !!
hhhhmmmm !
still,like most things,im sure a couple of beechams and a good shag will cure it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Berylium copper is a very common spring material used in electronics. It is totaly safe. The purer forms of Berylium are not safe to work with at all without special precautions. Strength to weight ratio is unmatched by anything including composites. Other than safety aspects it is somewhat hard to work with. It is very expensive.

Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Erik,

Don't worry mate, we're not going to be using beryllium, well I'm not anyway, don't know about custard ;)

A lot of materials I use are a pain to work with so I'm use to it, although the costs of Inconel make it prohibitive for me.

If I can find a HKS manifold to scrape a couple of flakes off I'll sent them to you, it seems that this may be the only way to find out what the material spec is!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one easy way to test firstley is to get a good magnet and if it is 304 then there will be some reaction , if it is then it will be 304 or less . 316 upwards is better for heat and is used for lots of exhaust manifolds buy many companys .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whilst this is intresting tread on metal work, I was wondering if anyone has used this manifold and had any improvements, apart from doshing out £1.2k and having shinny metal that soon tarnishes, most tuner recon its more restrictive at certain revs than the standard, any official verdicts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.