Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

after surfing through the archives it seems to me that I should go for an HKS downpipe and muffler. What do I have to expect to pay and which dealer do you recommend?
As I'm a virgin to the EVO scene do I have to worry about my car running lean after the mods (EVO VI TME, will be running on 98ron). Should I also go for the RallyArt panel filter?

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No , u have it totally wrong , THE exhaust system to go for is the Blitz Nurspec R full system , and preferably mate this to a PE downpipe with the cat out , this combination must be specially adapted to couple , but the results.....top stuff.

I now anticipate the full scorn of the non believers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would of course be in your HUMBLE opinion Evoboy, perhaps you could share your documented proof with us all.

Rgds Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Scoobymike!

Where are you from?

I think the BLITZ exhaust system with the power engineering downpipe is a good choice,but probably not better than the HKS exhaust.It depends what you are looking for.

The blitz exhaust is a cat back composed by the mid pipe and rear muffler. is full stainless steel and is not the same shape at the standard and others exhaust,the mid pipe is straight,but you've got less ground clearance.

The HKS exhaust to go for is the hyper muffler as it has more sound than the hks super draggerhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!
The full exhaust system on the evo is not usually noisy as for other cars,so unless you really want it to be discrete go for the hyper muffler.

The hks rear muffler is stainless steel but the piping is not.
Anyway the quality is excellent!
to change the downpipe with the hks parts you have to go for the extension kit composed of a stainless steel turbo elbow and a turbo downpipe.
If you want to replace the cat you have to buy the part from magnex at around 50£.

The HKS hyper muffler is the one I recommend as it's a full system and probably will fit perfectly,have a nice sound and includes a turbo elbow!

The complete exhaust cost around 900£

You can buy the hks from graham goode racing or tdi.

Don't worry if you just change the exhaust your evo wont be too lean.
For the air filter have a look at the power engineering airbox or HKS rs kit.

www.powerengineering.co.uk www.tdi-plc.com www.grahamgoode.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scoobymike

Have you considered the Magnex system? 3 inch, stainless steel, lifetime guarantee, downpipe, de-cat, mid-section, back box, well made and excellent fit. And because it doesn't have to be shipped all the way from Japan, it only costs £500 http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Oh, and it sounds great as well [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and amp;lt; and amp;lt;Don't worry if you just change the exhaust your evo wont be too lean and amp;gt; and amp;gt;

Maxi......I am sorry M8 but you can't just say that. If you are making big changes to the engine breathing (especially decatting), you ought at the very least buy a Lambda and or Knock gauge and possibly EGT to make sure fuelling is still okay.

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all

more than overwhelmed by your responses. I see the opinions are split. Concerning the Blitz system as I have an TME the ground clearance is already less than standard so grounding could be a serious problem. The HKS sounds and looks good but the magnex looks like best value for money. Just heard it is a bit loud but having owned a modified scoob with Prodrive exhaust I think I could stand it.

Where could I get the magnex from? I'll check their site for some piccies.

Maxi

I'm from Switzerland but not too close to the French border. But on 12/13 march I'll be at Lurcy Levy to see my dad driving a F1 car!!!! I won't because I don't wanna spoil the fun with my car (even being an EVO, compared to 700HP, below 5 sec. to 200km/h, it would seem a bit slow!!)

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve,

If we go deeper in to the fuelling subject,I do agree with you.

Monitoring if your mixture is ok and not too lean is always better.

What I was trying to resume is just that I never heard of some people having problems just by changing the exhaust on the evo,and usally you don't have fuel cuts if you don't change
the air filter and remove the restrictor.

My evo v does have slight fuel cuts now with the exhaust and filter but it has probably nothing to do with them,as they were fitted a lot of time before the fuel cut starts.
Probably my wastegate have rust on it and it has to be changed.

Scoobymike,

I have a supersprint full system on my evo v,that was fitted when I bought the car.
It's composed by a downpipe,decat.,midpipe and rear muffler.
The piping is 70mm and the rear is 120mm fulls stainless steel.
The supersprint shoul be,talking about the noise,something like the hks super dragger,tuv approved.
The sound of the evo with a full exhaust is not at all as loud as the subaru.
I've seen many subaru around with full exhaust and they are much noisier than a evo,especially at low rpm.
A friend of mine is looking for a full exhaust and we ve been looking out for the different ones.
DIGIT POWER,in switzerland,recommend the HKS hyper muffler for the quality of it.
If you don't know them have a look at theyr web site,they have a 420bhp evo.

www.digit-power.ch

Let me know the choice you make

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P.S.don't forget that with the magnex you don't have the stainless steel turbo elbow,and if you buy it by itself it costs 285£!!!
The only other downpipe with a turbo elbow is the power engineering one,the turbo elbow and downpipe is in one.
If you don't do any other modifications for the moment,you can fit the full system but keep the standard cat. to loose less low end power.

Maxi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Blitz Nur Spec,

Ground clearance - not a problem, even Pesky had no problems and his was lowered way below standard.

Noise - the Blitz has a removable baffle, without it the car is 'too noisy' over a long distance but it is great to remove for weekends and trackdays. With the baffle in the noise is the same as with the standard exhaust inside the car.

I am happy with my chioce, looks good and has a split personality!http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

car still runs very rich.

kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all
thanks again for the input. I've already visited digit power and as former scooby owner I know more than enough of them. I would never trust them, e.g. their stage two kit for the scooby should have 260 hp, what they call remap is just fitting a bleed valve and a fuel cut defender. At least they offer the HKS stuff for the EVO. If you wanna go for serious tuning go for Sportec (mapper of Le Mans victory Porsche GT1 in 98, also mapped my scoob) or Eggenberger who is the official RallyArt dealer in Switzerland.

BTW what do you mean by elbow turbo pipe? Is it a downpipe with separate wastegate pipe as PE do also for the Scoob?

I really like the looks of the HKS stuff but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The hks turbo elbow is a short elbow between the turbo and the downpipe.
You can see pictures of it at www.tdi-plc.com or at www.takakaira.co.jp,you should look for the hks extension kit.

The power engineering downpipe does the same,starting right from the turbo with two separate piping connections one bigger than the other.

I don't know if you are talking about the same for the scooby,but it's possible.

I thoght that DIGIT POWER was very serious! But if they just fit a fcd to a subaruhttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >!
Do you have the web adress of eggenberger?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a noticeable difference in performance between a downpipe with a turbo elbow like the HKS and PE and a downpipe without a turbo elbow like the Magnex? I also believe the HKS downpipe is not make of s.steel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The HKS downpipe is not stainless steel,I don't think that they made it with normal steel
to save money,maybe there is a reason.
My supersprint is full stainless steel but if it's not fitted perfectly it will vibrate when warm,especially when raining,I think that maybe the stainless steel is more exposed to temperature deformation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Maxi

Eggenberger don't have a website (e-mail [email protected])but it is a very reputable tuning company. They were once one of the most famous ford tuners in Europe (German touring car championship (DTM) with a Sierra, later with Omegas). I'd say they are the most famous Swiss tuners together with Mario Illien (McLarenF1) and Heini Mader (prepares the Formula 3000 engines). Now they do EVOs. Just spoke to them today and they advised me against fitting an exhaust because the car could run lean. Was very surprised because I would have been very tempted to buy an exhaust from them. BTW they recommend Supersprint. I don't really like Supersprint especially the muffler is no comparison even against a standard EVO VI TME muffler.

You could also speak to GTO Evolution (http://www.gtoevolution.ch/) They prepare Group N cars. They did this year's winning car in the Monte Carlo Rally driven by Olivier Gillet. They speak french so it should suit you.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maxi
From various threads you will have gathered the amount of checking thats been done on my car, it is not running lean. I have a mongoose 3 from turbo de-cat system, induction mod and slightly higher boost levels. Unless you are going to run on the rev limiter all day, you should have no problems.

Rgds Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maxi I was replying to Scoobymike who was replying to you OOPS, will have to read less quickly.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts