Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip up the A303 passed an M5 going reasonably fast on a dual carrigeway bit. He then sits behind me all the way along the subsequent single carrigeway bit. the road then goes back to dual, M5 sat right behind me, however as the road is downhill its a favourite bit for plod. And surprise, surprise I see a high vis jacket further on. I slow down and pull into inside lane hoping that M5 will boot it past me. sadly he sees plod as well. So we go past plod one behind the other at a speed that will not risk our licences. Plod obviously sees the funny side of 2 powerful motors not getting caught as he has an enormous grin on his face.

Anyway i give it half a mile and then boot it. road is totally clear so continue in this manner for about a mile or so. as the speed increases the handling gets worse and worse as if the shocks are no longer keeping the wheels properly in contact with the road.

It seems like at 100-110 the car is totally planted, above this its dodgy. Is this normal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oli,

the standard dampers aren't really the dogs ********. Once you start going above their envelope (what a stupid description!) they get quite bouncy and don't damp that well anymore. No springs will help in this case, just a set of new dampers...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Germany on the Autobahn I go often flat out in 5 gear through high speed corner. No problem. Also on our backroads I can reach speeds of over 200km/h and never had that feeling. Maybe since having been on the Ring I'm used to this kind of speed and behaviour of the car.

Get bigger balls;)

Mike

PS: I drove my mates chipped Supra Twin Turbo several times over 270km/h and this gave me sweating palms

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the feedback lads.

I'm guessing that the autobahns are well made and so the shocks don't have so much to cope with. The A303 is not a proper motor way and in places although the surface is good there are alot of underlying bumps. I guess its these that are defeating the standard shocks. When/if I can afford and not have my balls removed by the Mrs for spending money on That stupid F...ing car i'll look at getting better shocks.

As for the size of my balls - it was my passenger that seemed to be suffering the most :).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oil goon, what happened to the M5 (as an interested EVO/M5 owner)!

Suspect he didn't have a problem - more supple suspension. Funny though, you would have thought it the other way round. M5 being built for autobahn, Evo for nasty rally roads!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting....

Having taken my TME upto an indicated 160MPH (probably -10% ?)
on the continent where this is allowed :)

(shame its not here)

I found the car very stable, the road was not that great either I do have to say.

I know the TME has different suspension to the standard 6, but will it really make this much difference ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the point here is that of course the standard suspension can cope with high speed bumps, but it doesn't do it as well as with lower speed bumps. Good shocks don't change their behaviour that much, even if you're doing 200ks.

Scoobymike,

getting sweaty palms at 270ks?? I think YOU need bigger balls

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Michael

usually the Supra has a front spoiler lip which will come out of the front bumper at a certain speed to reduce lift but unfortunately due to Swiss law it's forbidden to have moveable spoilers so I had some front lift, even the bonnet was lifting, quite scary.

Haven't driven on a Finish gravel road, I'll better leave that to you nutters!

Cheers

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Oil Goon is your missus related to my missus or is That f***ing car a standard female term?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that term is the normal female way to speak about the Evo. My girlfriend doesn't even say anything anymore, it's just a certain look that she gives me whenever I (mistakenly) try to explain the need of tuning parts to her. I also make the mistake of telling her the price of them whenever she has given me that look...that usually makes matters worse. But fück it, I do it anyway!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Blade,

the M5 obviously wasn't pushing it too hard (he was doing about 110) otherwise he'd have ponced all over me. 400hp or summat?? Nice looking motor too. Wouldn't mind one at all but I can only afford a cheapo evo. I think he eventually went past me on the M3 as I had gone down to reasonable speeds as there was alot of traffic making it hard to spot plod.

mip
Mines a TME too. It could have been just the frequency of the undulations on the A303 were at a bad frequency for the dampers, or maybe I just got no ****** http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tonguewink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >.

SiKo
with apologies to the MLR female members I think its a woman thing. The best comment I've had from a woman was I like your car its just a shame about those silly holes ain the bonnet and that wing whereas most blokes can appreciate it looking like a beast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
M5 may have 400bhp (425 in my case :)) but weighs 1760kgs. It has a higher power-to-weight ratio than a standard EVO. Mildly modded EVO would match it.

If the road is twisty, or wet, you should have easily left him. My M5 seems to loose alot of its mighty grip when it rains.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just wondered if anyone fancied altering their suspension in the style of the 70s (ie, jack up the rear of the car by about a foot!)

was only a joke :(

amend:
oops! just found it under buying experience. Sorry. paranoia getting the better of me again!
Apologies again! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts