Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Re: Re: High milage

Big Elliott said:
Offer the bloke 9.5k for it ,, thats all its worth .. ;)
2000 Evo 6 gsr worth about 13k-14kin average nik with average miles.

So u saying knock 3.5k - 4.5k off for the mileage.

Gonna be a hard deal to strike with him i think.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Go and look at it.

Mileage means nothing, it's just a number on the dash. newer cars can take the mileage, it may have been a mtorway cruiser and pampered, there's one way to find out.

IMO it's age more than mileage that kills cars, I have a 99 323i with 105k on the clock and it drives perfectly. But then it's sat at 3k rpm on a motorway all it's driving life and has FSH.

A car thats done 80k miles of easy motorway work is going to be in a better mechanical state than one thats done 50k miles of short hard journeys.

Then again it might have done 80k miles of hard short journeys :crackup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
jameswrx said:
Go and look at it.

Mileage means nothing, it's just a number on the dash. newer cars can take the mileage, it may have been a mtorway cruiser and pampered, there's one way to find out.

IMO it's age more than mileage that kills cars, I have a 99 323i with 105k on the clock and it drives perfectly. But then it's sat at 3k rpm on a motorway all it's driving life and has FSH.

A car thats done 80k miles of easy motorway work is going to be in a better mechanical state than one thats done 50k miles of short hard journeys.

Then again it might have done 80k miles of hard short journeys :crackup:
Fair comments , but try telling the majority of people millege doesnt matter.. realistically it does..

If this bloke here buys that with 80k on the clock he wants his head testing because by the time he.s had it a while and put his miles on the car will be a 90 odd thousand mile evo which will be worth didly squat . this car is only viable to buy if it is bought for peanuts, then when this geezer comes to sell it he can also sell it for peanuts which makes the car viable to other punters.

thats my opinion anyway ..

Check TOMSYS car in for sale on here 12.5 k open to offers.. Well decent compared to the one in question. :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Yep agree'd, but people just put too much stigma on high mileage especially 100k miles it's like some mystical figure or something. It's just been drilled in our heads as older cars can't take it, one day it won't mean a thing.

I know people who've bought Jap imports with no history and because it says 50k on the clock they are happy. A work colleague bought an Impreza import which had 55k on the clock which to me realistically looked to have done around 90k+ miles (when compared to my old mileage verified 88k mile wrx on the same year which was the best condition car I've owned underneath etc and much cleaner/less wear than his) The dealer told him it had Jap history, but it could be laundry receipts for all he knows and it's deffo been clocked IMO.

It's a good bargainig tool and everything has it's price, I wasn't suggesting he should pay that for it ;)

what I was getting at was it's better to buy a genuine looked after car than one with sketchy history.

·
Registered
160 Posts
jameswrx said:
Yep agree'd, but people just put too much stigma on high mileage especially 100k miles it's like some mystical figure or something. It's just been drilled in our heads as older cars can't take it, one day it won't mean a thing.

I know people who've bought Jap imports with no history and because it says 50k on the clock they are happy. A work colleague bought an Impreza import which had 55k on the clock which to me realistically looked to have done around 90k+ miles (when compared to my old mileage verified 88k mile wrx on the same year which was the best condition car I've owned underneath etc and much cleaner/less wear than his) The dealer told him it had Jap history, but it could be laundry receipts for all he knows and it's deffo been clocked IMO.

It's a good bargainig tool and everything has it's price, I wasn't suggesting he should pay that for it ;)

what I was getting at was it's better to buy a genuine looked after car than one with sketchy history.
I love a good old dispute ;)

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Re: Re: Re: High milage

SUSSEX REIMS said:
2000 Evo 6 gsr worth about 13k-14kin average nik with average miles.

So u saying knock 3.5k - 4.5k off for the mileage.

Gonna be a hard deal to strike with him i think.
Ignore 'Big' Elliot. He has no idea what he is talking about, and the more he posts, the more convinced i become he will never own an Evo. He won't buy one because he tries to value them like Mondeo's and therefore cannot bear to part with money for a car older than 3 years or with more than a few miles on it.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Could be worth a look with a view to a cheeky offer of about £10k or £10,500. Especially if you haven't got to travel miles to see it.

It is high mileage but as James says if it has been serviced at the intervals it should theres no reason why it should be a shed.

It will be due a second cam belt change at 90k (due every 45k) so that is another bargaining tool, unless it has been done for the second time already.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: High milage

Weebl said:
Ignore 'Big' Elliot. He has no idea what he is talking about, and the more he posts, the more convinced i become he will never own an Evo. He won't buy one because he tries to value them like Mondeo's and therefore cannot bear to part with money for a car older than 3 years or with more than a few miles on it.
Ignore 'Weebl. He has no idea what he is talking about, and the more he posts, the more convinced i become he will never sell his Evo. He wont sell because he cant handle the fact that there is such a thing as depriciation and the cheaper you get a e6 the cheaper it makes his e5, He trys to value them like Ferrari GTO.s due to the fact he wont accept he drives a super mass production , Seven year old four door family saloon that is made for going to the shop and getting your milk in, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High milage

Big Elliott said:
Ignore 'Weebl. He has no idea what he is talking about, and the more he posts, the more convinced i become he will never sell his Evo. He wont sell because he cant handle the fact that there is such a thing as depriciation and the cheaper you get a e6 the cheaper it makes his e5, He trys to value them like Ferrari GTO.s due to the fact he wont accept he drives a super mass production , Seven year old four door family saloon that is made for going to the shop and getting your milk in, :rolleyes:
Got an Evo yet?

No?

Did not think so :)

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Just spoke to a trader (who deals in sports/performance including Evo's) he would only bid £7500 for that car if the history stacked up and it didnt need any more than £300 spending on it:eek:

But as you say a engine/gear box rebuild and new suspension it could be like new.

Jez

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
InsBro said:
Just spoke to a trader (who deals in sports/performance including Evo's) he would only bid £7500 for that car if the history stacked up and it didnt need any more than £300 spending on it:eek:

But as you say a engine/gear box rebuild and new suspension it could be like new.
Yea Jez, he is a trader though, when did a trader last talk anything other than drivel when it comes to pricing cars?

He will 'bid' 7.5k on it, spend 300 quid including a quick polish and knock it out for 11k all week.

The only way he would actually get the car for 7.5k is if it was at auction and he was the only one there.

The fact remains, Big Elliot won't get an Evo due to simple maths, other people are willing to pay more than him for the same car, ergo it will sell to the bloke with more money.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
This arguement again? :rolleyes:

Cars these days are good for well over 100,000 miles due to advances in technology etc etc etc. Mitsubishis are renowned for there reliabillity and if the car has been well looked after they will go almost forever it seems!! My old carisma has just reached 150K and is still going strong!!

What you have to ask yourself is, along with the high running costs of an Evo can you also afford any minor part replacements it may need?

Personally I think you'd prob get something with much lower mileage hence reducing that risk for similar if not slightly more cash.

At the end of the day its all about risk with cars. Generally the newer and lower the mileage, the less risk of problems but that doesnt mean to say a 5 year old car with 100K will pack up tomorrow!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts