Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Hesperus,

You don't know me but I would like to ask you a few questions about the Apexi Power FC that you bought. I am also very interested in buying that ECU. I own an EVO 4 (CN9A). Now, I know that Apexi make the Power FC for the CP9A (EVO 5 onwards...), but do you know if they make them for the EVO4? I guess the only major difference in the EVO 4,5 and 6...etc is the ECU loom. Do you know if the loom (wiring) is the same for these later EVOs? If so, then I would assume that the same Power FC ECU could be used for the EVO 4? Any other small changes can be easily programmed through the ECU.

Also, please update me/us on your performance gains from the Power FC. I have just purchased a GReddy Profec B boost controller and am contemplating whether to go for the Power FC or the S-AFC. Any recommendations?

Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
akct,

My tuner's dyno/RR is still under repair, so unfortunately I haven't yet had the chance to install it, much less enjoy any performance benefits.

When I was shopping around in Hong Kong for an ECU, I was also considering an HKS F-Con. I ultimately decided on the Power FC because at least with the FC, the unit can be retuned w/o having to send the box in for reprogramming. Also, the F-Con's are tuned in Japan, so they're probably mapped for 100RON fuel. Here in the Philippines, the best we can get is 97 octane.

I currently have an Apex'i S-AFC, which seems to work quite well. However, I wanted something that would really allow me to remap for higher boost-- currently planning on 1.3 bar max with the standard turbine-- or give me the flexibility to grow with any other mods that I may eventually do.

Oh, and I'm not too sure about availability of the FC for an Evo IV. I've noticed that they don't seem to make it specifically for the IV, but like you, I would've thought that the cars are so similar, surely there must be a way to adapt the FC for your car. I'll ask around.

Greddy has just introduced their own version of a fully programmable ECU. I don't know anyone who has used one, but it seems to be an alternative to the Power FC (i.e., both are poor man's Motec ).

Will certainly let you know how it goes. Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
The AFC is designed to remap fuel for higher boost,why would you need to change it ,I will be running 1.6 with the AFC no probs,I must say looking at your posting on another thread your AFC settings seem way out ,E-Mail me, maybe I can Help.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Wazup

his settings will probably be different compared to yours as I don't think he fitted an uprated fuel pump with a different FPR. You have to lean out your mixture as with your setup the car would overfuel badly.
Without knowing your lambda/CO readings on WOT is quite dangerous to map those fuel controllers or even worse to copy someone else's.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
akct,

I know of someone here in Manila who has a Power FC on an EVO 4, but he has rewired the whole harness. I would recommend the new product from Trust/Greddy E-manage. Unlike the Power FC wherein you replace the ECU, the E-manage piggybacks on the ECU. It adjusts fuel and ignition and has the capability of controlling additional 2 injectors.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Thanks for your reply Hesperus. It would be great if you could find out the Power FC compatibility with an EVO IV.

TurboAWD,

Where can I find information about Trust/GReddy's management ECU. Is this similar to Apexi's S-AFC? A question: What are the main differences between the Apexi Power FC (without boost controller option), and the Apexi S-AFC? I know they both handle fuel and ignition timing...are they equally capable in this area? Are there any other advantages in the Power FC over the S-AFC? Does anyone know?

Cheers in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
The super AFC only handles fuel, not ignition, and it is fairly limited (although still very effective).

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
akct,

I think TurboAWD is FAR more knowledgeable in all things Evo than I... comes from owning a 500 wheel HP Evo! (wink, wink!)

Do an internet search (use Google) and you'll find .pdf files of the instruction manual for the Power FC and the S-AFC in english. Those should give you a comprehensive overview of each one's features. I have the files on my PC, but they are rather large, and I don't have access to an FTP. Might take a bit of poking around, but you'll find them eventually (I downloaded the files myself after a bit of searching).

Try the Takakaira website for some preliminary info on the Greddy ECU. I don't know much about it, apart from what I read on there. It looks the part though! |EQU|)

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
akct,

I got the info for the Greddy E-manage from the Tokyo AutoSalon show. It plugs into a laptop and they do have the english version software for it. BTW, I was browsing on some EVO books I got recently and I saw a japanese tuning shop with EVO 1-3 and EVO 4-6 with Power FCs installed. Maybe they have an adapter harness to plug in the Power FC to the stock wiring harness. I'll check again on the shop name and post here asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

First, a big thanks for all your help. Especially Hesperus and TurboAWD. Well, tonight I got my GReddy Profec B boost controller installed - I am extremely impressed! I have a question though...I hooked on an Apexi boost gauge to see how much boost I am running stock. I floored the car and I'm sure I reached max. boost but the boost gauge only read about 0.6 - 0.7 kg/cm^2. Eventually, the LOW boost setting was set to 0.8 kg/cm^2. I thought that EVOs ran near 1 bar of boost? I am not too sure what the conversion between bar and kg/cm^2 is, but I thought they were pretty close? Is this normal for my car to run lower boost (than thought) if standard? My car has a full decatted exhaust from turbo, HKS pod filter and Blitz BOV. I've heard that after these mods most cars are running around 1 bar boost? Please help!??

The HIGH boost setting was set at around 1.1 kg/cm^2. The car certainly feels SO MUCH STRONGER. It's amazing! I didn't experience any fuel cuts - even though I didn't expect any.

Could someone please help me with my question as to why my car was running a lot less boost than other cars with similar mods? Thanks heaps guys.

Cheers and keep up the good work. Forums like these are so useful to people like myself :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Your experience is perfectly normal. The wastegate on the Evos is set at about 0.7 bar or so. However, in the stock car the pressure signal to the wastegate passes through an ECU controlled solenoid that bleeds of some of the pressure so that the wastegate only sees 0.7 bar when the manifold pressure is 1 bar or so. It is in effect a factory boost controller, except the user cannot adjust it. It is used so that the boost curve can be tuned by Mitsubishi engineers to what they determine will be diserable to the end user. It also gives the ECU the ability to drop boost if it detects excessive knock or other engine problems. I believe it also limits boost when the engine is cold. It is the manipulation of this solenoid that allows reprogrammed ECUs to increase boost pressure.

When you install a boost controller, the solenoid is bypassed. Therefore if you switch of the boost controller the pressure signal to the wastegate will not be bled off or interupted, so at 0.7 bar in the manifold the wastegate will see 0.7 bar and will open. Hope you understand my explanation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts