Lancer Register Forum banner

Hesitation in 2nd & 3rd gear (not on boost)

2K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Salter 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

Have an Evo VII and have a (sometimes violent like hitting speed limiter or boost cut) hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gears. This doesn't happen every time and doesn't seem to happen when the car is on boost.

Have also noticed that the car feels 'sluggish' when moving off in 1st gear.

Mechanic suggested spark plugs but they are only a month old. Had the car mapped last month for 95RON (316bhp/314lbs @ 1.5bar) and a 3 port boost solenoid installed as well as a Walbro 255. (The issue was present before the map and 3 port install)

Have done a boost leak test and all seems ok. Compression test also ok.

Had started to log via Evoscan but cable has failed and waiting on replacement parts for the cable. Issue didn't happen while I was logging the bit I got

Anyone any theories on what could be the possible cause?

I was thinking (initially) boost leak or the turbo actuator failing.

Then thought O2 sensor as it didn't happen on boost.

MAF?

Injectors?

Plugs?

Thanks.
Jim

See less See more
#12 ·
If your car has been remapped, speak to your mapper, see if he raised or removed the boost cut, if raised, roughly what too. If its so violent it feels like the transmission is going to be destroyed (or the hit a brick wall feel), I'd be pressure testing the intake for leaks (you dont say how you tested it?) . If its not that violent, then i'd look at plugs and coils, if you still have the old ones, try replacing them

Stu

#15 ·
Thanks Stu.

Yeah, it was remapped at the start of Sept and this wasn't an issue until last week/week before.

It is very intermittent and only in 2nd/3rd gears as it's climbing up the rev range and usually at lower revs (up to 3000).

It does feel like hitting a brick wall but only for a split second and it goes then again. It is similar to hitting the 180 kph speed limiter.

@Dan-B thanks for the input. The plugs are NGK BR8ES and were fitted end of August.

#18 ·
Haven't had the ability to do much with the car the last few days.

Tried to repair my OpenPort 1.3U cable but it's still not working.

Ordered 4 x NGK IGR7A-G, will have them tomorrow and will fit and see if that makes any difference. The BPR8ES plugs in the car were actually fitted on 30/06/2021 and there was some discoloration from the octane booster I was using. Not using octane booster since the car was mapped to 95RON

#19 ·
Finally got round to fitting spark plugs to the car. Did it late yesterday evening so haven't had the opportunity to drive the car and check if there is any improvement. Will drive over the next few days and check back in.

There was a lot of discolouration on the old plugs.

Will post some pics

#29 ·
Was using an openport 2.0 cable to log my car yesterday and noticed the ABS light doing 'the dance'.

Turns out I got 2 codes (that Evoscan didn't show):
22 Wheel speed sensor (FL) system
32 Acceleration sensor (longitual acceleration) circuit system

I understand the wheel speed sensor code but not the acceleration code.

I do u derstand both feed into the AYC inputs however, my ACD/AYC ECU is disconnected as my pump is out of the car (still 😔)

Could either of these sensors cause hesitation on acceleration?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.