Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

Have an Evo VII and have a (sometimes violent like hitting speed limiter or boost cut) hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gears. This doesn't happen every time and doesn't seem to happen when the car is on boost.

Have also noticed that the car feels 'sluggish' when moving off in 1st gear.

Mechanic suggested spark plugs but they are only a month old. Had the car mapped last month for 95RON (316bhp/314lbs @ 1.5bar) and a 3 port boost solenoid installed as well as a Walbro 255. (The issue was present before the map and 3 port install)

Have done a boost leak test and all seems ok. Compression test also ok.

Had started to log via Evoscan but cable has failed and waiting on replacement parts for the cable. Issue didn't happen while I was logging the bit I got

Anyone any theories on what could be the possible cause?

I was thinking (initially) boost leak or the turbo actuator failing.

Then thought O2 sensor as it didn't happen on boost.

MAF?

Injectors?

Plugs?

Thanks.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the plug gap
What sort of air filter have you ?
Had a similar issue when a hks foam filter started to break up and Lodge in the maf
Will have a look at the plugs tomorrow.

HKS foam filter installed, not that old but will check tomorrow.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if this is happening off boost at less than 2800 revs (boost gauge showing vacuum)?

I have no problem replacing the actuator, just don't want to be replacing parts without need.

Will test the actuator tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to say, the car is holding boost at 1.4bar when up in boost, it's not over boosting and not dropping boost (when on boost - obviously)

·
Premium Member
22,084 Posts
If your car has been remapped, speak to your mapper, see if he raised or removed the boost cut, if raised, roughly what too. If its so violent it feels like the transmission is going to be destroyed (or the hit a brick wall feel), I'd be pressure testing the intake for leaks (you dont say how you tested it?) . If its not that violent, then i'd look at plugs and coils, if you still have the old ones, try replacing them

Stu

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Had a similar issue with my 7, a well known garage diagnosed injectors, which they replaced but this didn't cure the issue. Took it to Mark at MA Developments, he instantly pointed out cheapo plugs and the gap big. It's been absolutely perfect since

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Threw my back out Thursday night so nothing happening in this until I can move properly again.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your car has been remapped, speak to your mapper, see if he raised or removed the boost cut, if raised, roughly what too. If its so violent it feels like the transmission is going to be destroyed (or the hit a brick wall feel), I'd be pressure testing the intake for leaks (you dont say how you tested it?) . If its not that violent, then i'd look at plugs and coils, if you still have the old ones, try replacing them

Stu
Thanks Stu.

Yeah, it was remapped at the start of Sept and this wasn't an issue until last week/week before.

It is very intermittent and only in 2nd/3rd gears as it's climbing up the rev range and usually at lower revs (up to 3000).

It does feel like hitting a brick wall but only for a split second and it goes then again. It is similar to hitting the 180 kph speed limiter.

@Dan-B thanks for the input. The plugs are NGK BR8ES and were fitted end of August.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Thanks Stu.

Yeah, it was remapped at the start of Sept and this wasn't an issue until last week/week before.

It is very intermittent and only in 2nd/3rd gears as it's climbing up the rev range and usually at lower revs (up to 3000).

It does feel like hitting a brick wall but only for a split second and it goes then again. It is similar to hitting the 180 kph speed limiter.

@Dan-B thanks for the input. The plugs are NGK BR8ES and were fitted end of August.
Same plugs I had mate, I'd try a smaller gap.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts