Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just had an uprated fuel pump and boost fuel valve (so the invoice says!) fitted to my IV. Boost has also just been upped from 1.1 to 1.2 bar.

Considering the small increase in boost pressure, it feels a sh1tload quicker, but after trundling round for a while I have noticed that the car seems to hesitate for a split second before the power really comes in. It's almost like planting the throttle in an auto ... that brief pause you get while the box kicks down :confused:

Just wondering whether this could be related to the infamous "wiring mod" that IVs are supposed to have done. I did mention this to the guy that did the job, but he says that the manufacturers of the pump say that it bolts straight onto a IV, and is good for 500 BHP.

Anyone shed any light on the subject?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
what kind of boost fuel valve has been fitted?? sard, fse?? has it been set to the correct pressure? it should be at 3.0bar with vacuum pipe disconnected.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WULLIE said:
what kind of boost fuel valve has been fitted?? sard, fse?? has it been set to the correct pressure? it should be at 3.0bar with vacuum pipe disconnected.
Thanks for the reply WULLIE ... doesn't give a make on the invoice :eek:

I'll find out tomorrow and post this up :)

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pump and boost fuel valve are both Sytec.

Had another chat with the guys this morning, and it has been suggested that maybe pressure is a little too high, with the resulting overfuelling causing initial hesitation.

Should be going back to have this seen to next week :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the walbro pump fitted to mine with the standard fpr and its overfuelling as well.

I have an E6 GSR turbo fitted which was running 1.2 bar when the fuelling was checked.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you get the same sort of effect Jay? Does the car feel flat/hesitant when the mixture is very rich?

·
Registered
401 Posts
car hesitates around 5-5.5K rpm. I thought it was my boost controller not setup right until I had the fuelling checked on the rollers.
I'm going back to Star Performance tomorrow to have a chat with Sam (The Dentist) as he's there mapping a couple of cars there, to see what he suggests from my graphs.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evo 4 Jay said:
car hesitates around 5-5.5K rpm. I thought it was my boost controller not setup right until I had the fuelling checked on the rollers.
I'm going back to Star Performance tomorrow to have a chat with Sam (The Dentist) as he's there mapping a couple of cars there, to see what he suggests from my graphs.
Sounds like the same kind of problem.

Would be very interested to hear what Sam has to say ...

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Mick
didn't think that Sytec/Glencoe did an adjustable fuel regulator for an evo application.....
.....check which one they've sent
personally I'd go for something like e.g. a Sard

- guess the pump you've got is the 'ITP045 ?'

evo4 jay
the standard fpr can't cope with an uprated pump
so need to have an afpr set at the factory psi
...same problem that the early e1-3's suffer from after an upgrade

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xlr8 said:
Mick
didn't think that Sytec/Glencoe did an adjustable fuel regulator for an evo application.....
.....check which one they've sent
personally I'd go for something like e.g. a Sard

- guess the pump you've got is the 'ITP045 ?'
Thanks Jan.

Don't know what the model numbers are on the two parts, Shawn Taylor Racing just ordered them from Demon Tweaks as being "good for up to 500BHP on an Evo IV" and bolted them on as a fix for dodgy spark plug colour (looked like the car was running lean at high RPM possibly)

Looks like the regulator might be up for replacement when Autronics is eventually fitted if what you say is true :(

A trip up to Lincoln might be in order for the next stage of tuning. I do like what Nick has done to Alan IVs car ...

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RaeTurbo said:
Are you sure its not the ITP116? 255LPH?
Don't know TBH.

Have just been told that it's good for 500BHP.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
this has happened to a few people running larger fuel pumps on their 4. its not the pressure its usually the flow rate that is too high

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WULLIE said:
this has happened to a few people running larger fuel pumps on their 4. its not the pressure its usually the flow rate that is too high
Cheers WULLIE ... will mention this next week :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
fueling

yes mick my fueling is spot on :coolsm:
thats the joys of having autronics, with a super map by nick :D
nice line on my graph, right through the rev range.

car is still going well, even after getting hammered at cadwell, snetteton, and haynes.
i have booked in to do haynes again, cadwell in sept, and i hope to do snett this thur evening ,5.30 to 8.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: fueling

ALAN IV said:
yes mick my fueling is spot on :coolsm:
thats the joys of having autronics, with a super map by nick :D
nice line on my graph, right through the rev range.
Excellent mate :D

Didn't realise just how quick yours is until you drove round me at Snetterton. Even allowing for my dodgy lines, there was quite a difference ... Autronics is definitely on the shopping list at some point!

Off topic slightly ... you going to show up at the campover this weekend, Alan?

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should be there Saturday p.m.

See you there mate :D

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Mick429 said:
Fuel pump and boost fuel valve are both Sytec.

Had another chat with the guys this morning, and it has been suggested that maybe pressure is a little too high, with the resulting overfuelling causing initial hesitation.
Did they not check the air/fuel ratio when they fitted the regulator? If not then i'd start taking the car somewhere else t.b.h. as anyone who is prepared to start messing with things like that without checking a/f ratio afterwards isnt worth the money your paying.

As for the Sytec fuel regulator, it will work fine, although the SARD has a better reputation on here and AFAIK is the better performing unit. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts