Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a performing the mods below, I vowed that I would not "play" any more, but it would seem that enough is never enough for long http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

So, I have an Evo 6, HKS induction, Magnex down pipe/CAT pipe and Blitz Nur Spec R CAT back, Ralliart ECU, ARP Bolts and an upgraded fuel pump.

It's been dyno'd at 345bhp at the LTR RR day and runs at about 1.3bar sustained.

My question is this. If I fit an electronic boost controller which one do you recommend Given I'm not going to do any more upgrades.

Also how much boost are you guys running with standard internals and the ARP bottom end bolts and what do you think is realistic in terms of sustained and peak?

If the boost controller is not the best step forward for about 900 quid what is?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What?? GBP 900 for a boost controller?? Or do you mean you have 900 to spend and want amongst other things a BC? I am getting the Apexi and it's not even 300.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I achieved almost 360 bhp with a blitz boost controller, standard engine, at 1.6 bar boost. Thorak achieves more than this - around 1.7 bar, no problems, standard engine.

I wouldn't go above 1.5 bar though without water injection for extra det protection.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Claudius, Thanks, yes I did mean I had 900 pounds for the next upgrade step and that it may well turn out to be the electronic boost controller. Where are you sourcing the Apexi kit and why did you choose that model above the others?

Blade, do you mean 1.5 bar sustained? And if so, how do you ensure the fuelling is acceptable with a non-programmable ecu?

Do these boost controllers allow you to set a peak and sustained level of boost, or do you just set one of them to a level where the other turns out to be acceptable after watching it closely?

Cheers

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boost controllers are fully programmable for all the functions you mentioned. I really can't speak for the other but I would go with the HKS EVC IV. The only reason is because I know how to set it up and use it....they are all good including the Blitz and the Trust.
The good thing about a boost controller is that it maximises your boost curve using funky fuzzy logic technology(remember I'm refering to the HKS item here). Then you are able to program your scramble boost at a set level and set time.
Which one you go with in the end is up to you...they are all good and do serve exactly the same purpose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naunt,

Yeh, it was 1.5 sustained, and the ECU was reprogrammed by Power Engineering to provide more fuelling. Would peak higher.

My understanding is that with the blitz the settings allow control the opening of a valve which bleeds boost and in turn controls the maximum boost of the turbo.
The longer the delay before it opens, the higher the boost pressure. I imagine it is much the same as with other boost controllers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I chose the Apexi because they make very good stuff and because my dealer told me in length why it is better than the others, describing functions etc. The downside is it is very complicated to set up right so he will have to do it. I think the Blitz or HKS has some more auxiliairy functions, but as I am getting a screen with all the engine parameters, I went for the best BC, not for the one with the most gadgets or displays.

The Apexi has two sensors for boost, one nearby the turbo, and one at the intake manifold. It modifies the injection to allow for more boost with more fuel, but can be set freely, so watch it not to explode the turbo!

The delivery was delayed again, I'll have to wait another 2 weeks, but I will let you know once I have everything installed, how it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.