Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've an import GSR 6, which does not have a rear fog fitted.

What are the options available, and how much would I be expected to be held ransom for.

I noticed the TME on the Forge motorsport stand at Autosport had a very natty strip under the rear valance? Is this a dealer fit??

Thanks...John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got mine cut into the bumper, like the official UK cars. Take it to a local dealer, they should do it. If not, speak to Roger Clarke. They did mine for me, but I bought my car from em.
Cem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did my own after finding the reversing light bodge on mine. RING square rear fog light from Halfords at £6.99. I just had to extend the wiring.
If you do fit a light under the rear valance then watch out. The light has to be 250mm from the ground and it just about makes it by 5-10mm if its flush with the bottom of the valance. I assume thats why Ralliart cut one in the bumper.

Where did you get the car from? If you got it from a dealer take it back and say they sold you an unroadworthy car and demand they fit a fog light immediately. If there is no rear foglight wiring at all then I would be very worried as it needs a rear foglight to pass the S.V.A.

Incidentally according to the S.V.A. you shouldn't fit the foglight switch on the blank panel on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (opposite the ignition switch. The blank panel is actually where the manual choke goes on the standard Lancer). According to the previous owner his car was recalled for an S.V.A. audit and they made the importer move the switch! My switch is now in the recess below the front fog light switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
H.H.6,

I believe my car also had the dodgy light cluster rewire for the SVA, but the previous owner reverted it back.
I bought the car from a dealer in Fife who had a closing down fire sale, two weeks after I bought it, so I can't really see me getting out of it that way. I'll just have to splash the cash.

The rear fog I seen on the Evo TME was just like a row of led's, probably 5 to 10mm in height.

...John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is the off side rear reversing light used as a fog light on your motor or not?
Is it working at the moment?

If you already have the wiring for the rear foglight, as it sounds like you do, it is easy to fit your own legal foglight.
If you have the reversing light mod. then take off the trim panel in the boot behind the off side light cluster and have a look at the wiring. The original cable to the reversing light will have been cut and a new cable will be connected to it. This is the feed from the fog light switch.
You just need to break the joint in this cable and extended it to your new fog light. Run a cable back from your new fog light to the light cluster and joint it to one of the black negative cables which fix to the bodywork. Running the cables down to the fog light is a bit tricky but if you take the light cluster off completely you will see you can drop the cables down behind the 'Lancer' logo panel.
Don't forget to reconnect the reversing light cable back up and change the bulb for a normal clear one. If there is a light fitted to your car then it has to work to pass the MOT. Don't think because you already have one reversing light that you don't need to reconnect the other.
I installed my fog light in about half and hour including fitting and soldering all the joints (better than crimping, no corrosion of joints).
If you want more precise details on how to do it including wire colours, where to mount the light etc. then let me know. Incidentally if you mount the RING Foglight (Halfords £6.99) under the valance on the horizontal plastic support bracket then the Foglight will be too low to the ground. Mount the Foglight further back on the sloping valance backing. Not only will it be at a legal height but it will be flush with the bottom edge of the valance making a better looking job of it.

I assume the LED type light you mention is a long LED type brake light. I don't know the legality of using those lights as a fog light but I don't see a problem.
You can get the LED lights from Halfords as well, I think they are about £30.

If you lived a bit closer to me then I could fit it for you! (Hampshire btw)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to be a fairly common problem with grey 6's. I bought mine with fog light switch to the left of the steering wheel where the manual choke would go. It even has a liitle red light on the button to tell you when it's on but there is no rear fog, or evidence of wiring that could have fed the power to one!

I've got 18 months to sort it out but if anyone who knows his electrics is at the Aldershot R/R day next month I'd be grateful if someone could have a quick look.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where abouts are you?
I'm not too far from Aldershot, I am actually near Liphook. If you want a proper rear fog and you are not too far away then I will see what I can do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm near Bromley in Kent, but any old excuse for a drive! Seriously, I may take you up on this - thanks

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if you are coming over for the Aldershot day then I am about 15 miles away from it so you could come over before/afterwards. I hope to go to the Rolling Road day but if not the offer still stands. Talk to you nearer the time. My mail and ICQ is above.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've given it a good once over and cannot see any evidence of anything. After a near miss this morning off night shift with an Orion I'm getting the garage to fit the bumper version when I get it serviced next week.

Total lazy b'stard I know, but there you go.

H.H.6 Thanks very much for your help.

...John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts