1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the **** do i set this up

briefly 2 pcs in the house i have the internet connection downstairs blueyonder

and the lads got a pc upstairs i have brought a d-link wirelless g kit

i have router box dongle and some kind of blue phone cable where the **** does it all go and into what connections no ****ing instructions in the box

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Plug the wireless router in, use the network cable supplied and plug it into the back of the pc, turn on the router and run the disk, go through the install part like are you using a bt line etc it will then ask for your username that will be your sign in name and password you use to run your existing ADSL, then you will be asked if you want to use encryption, i used 128 wep, click next and it will give you a encryption key (write it down and keep it safe) finally save it, that should be it on the main computer side, then go to your other computer, not sure if your using a pci or usb card, but all you should have to do is plug it in, run disk, then after install there should be software that you can search for a wireless connection, hit search and it should find your downstairs connection, click connect, and it will ask for wep key, put in the key that you wrote down earlier, that should be about it, if ive missed something im sure somebody will point out.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
On the back of your pc you should have a socket that looks like a phone socket, with normally 3 squares above it, thats your network connection, if youve not got one i would recommend getting one, around a tenner on ebay.
as the main computer is better if its wired you can unplug it if you like after running install disk.

pci card Item number: 290069774745

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi fozzy cheers yes i do have like a phone socket in the back of the pc but the lead supplied dosnt fit its to big any other way

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
redliner said:
hi fozzy cheers yes i do have like a phone socket in the back of the pc but the lead supplied dosnt fit its to big any other way
Hi
thats more than likely the Modem socket, i would recommend getting a PCI network card, they are cheap enough and easy to install, i believe the router requires a network connection at setup.(need it plugged in)
Dont get one from pc world(they will charge you £40 for one) pop into your local pc shop dont pay over £15 for one, they are around £8 to 10 on Fleabay.
it should be straight forward enough then, make sure you then have anti virus installed and both pc's are firwalled, i use zonealarm, its free

www.zonealarm.com

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Most modern computers come with a onboard network connection, im guessing yours is a few years old, thats why you need the network card.

·
5,456 Posts
Whoops

You may not have an ethernet connection on your PC. Thats what you need to plug the cable into. You can buy a network card from any PC shop, and it will slot straight in. Its a very easy job to do, take the side of the PC off, and the card can go into any of the slots. If you are running XP, it will ooad drivers for the new card, so plug it in, and hey presto,, you have somewhere to plug the cable into.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
No problem, if you need any more help let me know, thats all ive been doing over crimbo is installing wireless connections for family and friends, in fact im doing one tomorrow if the router turns up.
cant say im a expert on computers, just spent years fiddling with mine.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right i do have the phone socket thing on the back of the pc i didnt think i had

i have connect the blue supplied lead that came with the router what do i connect the old lead to that was already in the pc

im getting there now bit by bit

·
5,456 Posts
2 helping is better than 1

I see Fozzy has been replying, and helping, but 2 maybe better than 1.
If that is the old lead that you used to connect either to a modem, router, or the phone line then its not required.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Where is the old lead going to?

you plug in the network cable into the back of your computer, then the other end goes to to the router, you then have coming from your router a phone cable, that goes from your router to your phone socket, make sure you have a filter in your siocket, one for phone and other for adsl connection.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
can i confirm your on a bt line and your using a ADSL router modem? not just a router?

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think the router is busted tbh i had it from pc world tonite
and it says returned on the box the barstuds :mad:
its going back in the morning lol

its not even picking up the pc

fozzy or whoevers out there which is the best one to buy with support and stuff i am on blueyonder broadband

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Im with pipex and im using a Linksys broadband router Model number WAG54GS its ADSL2 enabled aswell, get then either a PCI wireless card, or if you dont want to pull the case off the pc upstairs get a USB wireless dongle.

one thing worth checking, check to see if your network driver is installed, go to start/control panel/system/Hardware/then device manager scroll down and see if there are and yellow crosses by network adapters, if thats the case your network drivers are not installed,ive seen it before where people cant get routers working when in fact its motherboard driver issues.

So if your on a BT line with Telewest the above modem router will work, its xbox live compatable aswell if thats your bag, i use one and i set one up for my oldman crimbo time also, no trouble in a year, and one touch setup, make sure if you buy a rounter it will work with telewest as telewest are not around here so ive no idea, but if its a bt line it should be fine.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
redliner said:
thanks for all your help fozzy appreciated mate
No worrys, im off to bed now, sore fingers :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts