Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Leo and I'm from Malaysia. I currently drive an evo 7 and these are the modifications I have done to the car so far ;
- HKS Super SQV
- HKS Intercooler piping kit
- HKS Cams (272/272)
- HKS Aluminium Cam Pulleys
- HKS Racing Suction Kit
- HKS GD Clutch Max
- Custom decat
- Apexi Hayabusa exhaust
- Power Timing belts
- Power 1.2mm metal gasket

I plan to get an F-CON pretty soon...BUt here's the problem,
I am running at 1.2-1.3 bar boost. Just recently I tried replacing the spark plugs, spark plug cables and added some grounding wires by Pivot. I used HKS Super Fire Racing (8) plugs and NGK cables. After installing the items, I found that the car tends to misfire at times. I don't know what's the problem and I was wondering if the experts here would like to shed some light. I'm still very new at these and I am so very eager to learn. I was thinking it could be the gapping for the plugs. I have read that (8) plugs are fine on the evo 7. If it is the gapping, how would I know if the gap is correct? I think the gap should be 0.6mm to 0.7 mm. I may be wrong about the plugs so, is it too cold? What should I do? Thank you very much!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Why did you change the head gasket to a THICKER one? Do you want less power??

Why did you change the cables? Put the OEM back on.

What did you get the I/C piping kit for? Looks?

Turn up the boost!

Nice exhaust! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the Head Gasket so that I could boost higher.

I thought NGK cables were good?

*laughs* yeah, the intercooler piping is more for looks than function. BUt it's really cool though!

Yeah that's what the gasket is for, more boost. I'll do this with the F_CON. I want to get an evc, but I saw the new one with the blue screen from HKS and it's super cool. I want to wait and get that....

Thanks alot CLAUDIUS!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Darkness,
I think it's pretty obvious that if u have misfiring after installing those plug wires etc , this shud b the first place u look 4 problems :)
BTW , at this level of tuning it's a waste of money 2 fit plugs , THEY MAKE NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Original Post:
I changed the Head Gasket so that I could boost higher.
At this low level of tune, the head gasket will only reduce enfine performance since you lower the compression ratio!

Original Post:
*laughs* yeah, the intercooler piping is more for looks than function. BUt it's really cool though!
I like it as well, but it's so expensive for what you get!

Original Post:
Yeah that's what the gasket is for, more boost. I'll do this with the F_CON. I want to get an evc, but I saw the new one with the blue screen from HKS and it's super cool. I want to wait and get that....
I've seen the EVC 4 with 3D mappable boost depending on throttle position etc. That unit is, however, NOT RPM MAPPABLE and I therefore didnt get one. Still running the A'PEXi AVC-R.

So you want an FConVPro? Do you know that you cannot program it? Only some Japanese tuners possess the necessary hard and software to access it (Bozz Speed for example). So how are you going to fine tune it then?

One last thing: you changed the head gasket to run more boost; what do you consider a lot of boost? People in Europe just run 1.5 or more boost without even changing the ECU or the plugs!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darkness,

I'm from Asia too, and I was just in Singapore last week at Garage-R. If you live in KL, I'm sure you must have heard of it? If not, go check them out and talk to Lester. He should be able to sort things out for you.

Having said that, I agree with what Claudius and Evoboy have said-- check your plugs and those wires... where there's smoke, there's fire!

I see you've fit the 272/272 cams. I've just gotten them myself, but haven't yet tried them. Question for you is:

1) What sort of difference did they make (power, where in the revband, idling?); and
2) Did you change your valvesprings when you put in the cams? Or stayed OEM?

Many thanks! Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CLAUDIUS!: *laughs* The intercooler piping cost me about RM2300. That's in Malaysian Ringgit. Yeah, it's abit pricy but it makes my engine bay look so cool! Yup, yup, the head gasket will lower my compression thus making my cars performance slower, but on the other hand, my cams are there so it kinda compensates alittle. As for the F-CON, there is a main distributer here by a company called Aerotech. They include 4wd dyno and tuning. It's gotten pretty good reviews but it's a little pricy too but hey, you want quality, you have to cough it up alittle rite?...*laughs*
I know that in UK people are boosting their cars without changing much but here in Malaysia, the weather is hot and humid. Things tend to wear out faster. I've heard that a 'STOCK' evo 7 blew his engine while taking it for a spin. But of course, he was 'whacking' it. As for me, I'm a little scared too of overboosting the car and then blowing the engine so, the gasket is just to let my mind be satisfied...*laughs*

hesperus: Hello. Yes, I've heard of Garage-R. Pretty cool. Thanks alot but I've alredy sorted out the misfiring problem. Turns out it's the gapping. HKS comes with a gap of 0.4mm but evo 7's need a gap of 0.6-0.7 mm. No worry's , no fire came out...*laughs*. As for the cams, I have cam pulleys and the valve springs too. I suggest you get the valve springs as the OEM ones are not stiff enough. the idling depends on the settings of the campulleys so, I don't know how it is with normal campulleys. As for the power band, the power is smoother. On the stock evo seven, you usually feel the pull at about 3000rpm. With the cams, the power is spread out. That's what I think. But, I haven't actually set the cams properly. I'm waiting to do it alltogether with the FCON. *smile* 'cheers'

Evoboy: Hmmm, the plugs may not have much difference but, in black and white it's only logical that by modifiying the ignition, you should be getting better response ,no? I'm not sure cause I'm still young, only 18 and I admit that I have so much more to learn but thank you very much for your imput. Please do tell me more. Thank you very much...

THANKS ALOT GUYS!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Darkness,
Respect dude , 18 and he already has an Evo 7 :) , is it difficult 2 get insurance over there at your age ? how much do u pay 4 it ?
Seem's like the Japanese performance scene is pretty big over there , how much did u pay 4 your 7 ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evoboy: Thank alot buddy. I'm very grateful to be driving an evo7 but there are plenty like me here in Malaysia. Umm, the car is under my dad's name so no problems there. My dad owns a car business so it's alittle easier to do things around here *grin*. As for the price of the car, I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my dad about it.
In Malaysia, the Japanese performance scene is picking up slightly but its difficult to grow due to the restrictions of the rules. There are more enthusiast now cause the JGTC (Japan Grand Touring Championship) is held in Malaysia in Sepang F1 circuit as a special round outside of Japan. It's really cool! I'm currently in a club called JSOC ( Japanese Sportscar Enthusiast Club). It's great getting to know other enthusiast and sharing knowledge about stuff. Good way to socialize too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.