Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a numptie, left the lights on and run down the battery. Its not 100% flat but not enough juice to turn the starter.

Is there any action I should take upon getting it going again from a jump start ? (e.g. will the ECU have reset ?).

TIA

Eric

p.s. - an answer in the next 30 mins would be good

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't worry, you may have to set the clock http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > but no other problems.

Kevin A

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers man ! (that's what I thought).

Saying that, I just had a reply to same message posted to yahoo-groups list and the guy says :

... sure I read somewhere never jump-start an Evo ...

Hmmmm ? ! ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does that mean you have to charge the battery if you can't jump start if what this man is saying? How do you get it running if in the street and don't want to take the battery out? rolling start perhaps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - I'm with you but I was just quoting the message.

Funnily enough, I was speaking to my missus on the phone just now and she reckons she's heard the same.

I'm going to give it a go though - I'll let you know tomorrow if anything bad happens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot of folk get confused, but it's bump-starting cars that is bad for them nowadays. The unburnt fuel poisons the cat.

I've jumped my car plenty of times when the battery was on the way out, just make sure and take it for a good run after, just to charge the battery and that you know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Chunky (sorry I didn't thank you before but I had to go and meet the missus who had the leads).

Aye - no problems - and a good excuse for a spirited drive to charge up the battery http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > - as per your recommendation.

I hadn't twigged that there might have been confusion between 'jump' and 'bump' - but I should've since the missus had the wrong end of the same stick.

... and the clock was fine [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > but the radio channel pre-sets were lost [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/sad1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont think for one second that a good thrash will recharge your battery fully,a good charge over night wouldnt go a miss.if you have a charger.This was a suggestion by a good tech a long time ago_Only trying to help. anna

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depends if he has got one, cause there not cheap and if not used often can be a waste of money that could have been spent on some thing else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could be, but ice doesn't suit an evo it adds weight hust not that good when trying to beat every car on the road. Also this can run your battery down faster or as well, if you get my drift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anna

I know that even a good motorway run is no substitute for a proper long, slow charge, but the last thing you want is to get it started, drive home and then find the battery is flat again the next morning! http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

When I replaced my battery a while ago I got very familair with CCAa, RCs and BCI markings as well as the fact that even healthy batteries will benefit from a good charge every now and again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were a number of messages posted on the yahoo-groups list in response to the same question. Here are a couple of interesting ones for the benefit of non subscribers :

Jump starting it will **** up all sorts of bits, if you have to do it as a
last resort then make sure you attach one lead to the positive terminal and
the negative lead onto a part of the chassis/engine away from sensitive
electrical bits, and try to avoid having said bits in between the two leads.

Is bump starting it an option? If not... good luck.

An ECU reset may well be needed after the jump start. Take the scenic route
home too to get a good charge in the battery.

... and from someone else ...

Do you guys have anti-zap jumper leads? I use these and the circuit breaker
box on the ensures that no current spikes fry your ECU and other electrical
components. Since some have mentioned the resetting of the ECU, is anyone
able to comment on how this is done? Does the ECU learn its environment
like the WRX after being reset? If so how long does this take?

... and another ...

I too had problems when the radio/satnav was fitted incorrectly... for about
three weeks the battery died almost every night.repeated jump starting
appears to have caused no problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read something somewhere about when the battery runs flat...hang on....

Refering to Section 27 (AYC) page 32 of the E4/5 Workshop Manual:

'8. ACTION WHEN BATTERY RUNS OUT
When the engine is started using a booster cable where the battery has completely run down and you attempt to start the vehicle without waiting for the battery to recover a certain charge, the engine can misfire and you cannot start to move it. In such cases, charge the battery suffiently; or, remove the AYC fusible link from the engine compartment relay box to make the AYC inactive before attempting to start the vehicle. When the fusible link is removed, the AYC warning lamp lights up. After the battery has been recharged, fit the fusible link back again and start the engine to ensure that the AYC warning lamp is off.'

1 - 19 of 19 Posts