Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, would any of you lot know how to fit the shims from coordsport?
The reason I'm asking is because I received the shims in the post just the other day
and although Coordsport informed me there should of been instructions with the shims....guess what?
No instructions!!! I'm so desperate to stop the noise coming from the pads any advice on fitting them
would be very much appreicated!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:HELP ON FITTING ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS

Remove the pads from the calipers and remove the calipers from the hub. Thoroughly clean the calipers of brake dust with a suitable solvent. The anti-squeal shims are a direct replacement to some shims that are fitted standard. If you look at the caliper where the sides of the pads rub against the caliper you will see them. You will need a high torque bit to remove old and fit the new shims. The high torque bolts should not be that tight, but make sure you clean all the crud and old brake dust out of the bolt head before you try to remove it. Its also a good idea to smear copperslip grease all over the shims and on the back of the brake pads, where they contact the pistons, as this helps to damp out vibration and so squeal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS FROM COORDSPORT!

Clive, thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go tomorrow!!

Top Man for replying.:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS FROM COORDSPORT!

Brent, do me a favour m8 and let me know how you get on.I have the very same shim`s fitted and the brakes still squeal like a No.49 Bus! :(

Richi. ( Coordsport grooved disks and Pagid Blue pads :( )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RichiWW

how are those coorsport grooved discs holding out
no warping so far

have you done track days with those discs?
and do you also use brake ducts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS FROM COORDSPORT!

RICHIWW

No problem matey, as soon as its done (hopefully in the next fews days) I'll get back
to you.
What pads are you using? I think I'm right in saying that it comes down
to the make and type of pads you use.
Never had this poxing problem when I had the standard pads on it!!!

God knows! Its way too late I'm checking out.......Zzzzzzzzzzz.....

Laters:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Cheers Brent :) Not too sure on the exact type they are, all i know is Pagid Blues , and were on the car when i bought it,only had her two days...since Friday ;) Theres a couple of things that are bugging me about the car though, and as such i am contacting the dealership where its had most of its servicing done, hoping to rectify the faults, at that time i will also endever to find out more facts reguarding the brakes and car as a whole.

The car has been on one track day with the disks and pads, apparently, with the previous owner.Not too sure how hard he drove though.The braking squeal dissappeared the other night after so particulary hard braking, and all you could hear then was a pleasing kind of grinding? noise..very pleasing to the ear :)however the squeal is back again now after having to drive through Leeds at a more sedate pace last night!

One thing that did alarm me though, is that after 5 or 6 hard braking sessions into corners on my favourate bit of track ;) (we are talking 120 down to about 60 each time) at the end the steering was wobbling very badly upon braking (read warped disks!?!), however, once cooled back to normal they appear to be warp free again.Not satisfied though, as they didnt get *that* much stick! :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re:HELP

Richi,

Sorry to say it, but it sounds to me like your disks are warped, especially if it gets increasingly wobbly as the brakes get hotter.

I'd throw it back at the dealer and get them to change them FOC - they shouldn't argue if you've only had it a few days. Don't take no for an answer.

Hope you're enjoying the car apart from that ;)

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed, those are the symptoms of warped brakes. OK when cold, steering wheel wobbles more the hotter they get.

Hopefully as you have only just got the car you hsould be able to get a refund.

My brakes went at 7500 miles. CCC are refusing to even skim the disks as they say brakes and clutches are not covered on an Evo, although Ralliart said that CCC will normally approve a skim at less than 9000 miles. I will probably get the Godspeed disks which people have had good experience with.

Evo's are great, but the standard brakes warp under less provocation that those on an everyday familiy saloon (my previous car diesel fiat Marea did over 55000 on its standard disks and i used them harder than i have used the Evo ones so far).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Cars booked in Thursday for checking over.

I bought the car privately, though the dealer where i`m taking it is the place where the disks were fitted, they have only covered 2000 miles so i`ll see what they have to say.

Thx for the advice :)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Godspeed do sound like the ones to go for, though even if they dont warp, do they still get to warm to operate correctly??

I could got the Tarox disks on my old 200sx glowing red at night... and no warping there! (though i have to say they didnt actually stop that well once in that state!) :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts