Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home today I felt the cars handling seemed to be strange.I stopped thinking I had a puncture but no all 4 tyres are fine.It feels just like having a flat tyre esecially turning and also when steering from side to side on straights.Suspension feels solid and AYC light is not on but something feels wrong.Anyone got any ideas????
I also noticed the speedo was dead,checked the fuse and the speedo works but again I don`t think it is correct.

Stuart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Difficult to diagnose without driving or seeing the car.
All I can suggest is to check the ride height and then check all the suspension bushes and links for any damage or looseness.
Disconnect the AYC fuse link and if the problem is still there then it is probably something else. Check out the simple things before condemning the AYC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heave Ho Six......
Where can I find the fuse link for the ayc and is it marked?
I found the fuse box under the bonnet and in the drivers footwell but did not see anything for ayc.
I have spoken to a few people today and I don`t think it is the AYC but it does not hurt to check.

Stuart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AYC fuse is actually next to the battery terminal. Think you have to unscrew it to remove the fuse. (not sure as I haven't needed to yet).

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone confirm what silversix has said.I would like to be certain that I remove the correct fuse.Also is it marked AYC?

Stuart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stuart,
Silversix is correct the fuse is next to the battery ,think you have to remove the plastic cover then unscrew the fuse.

Might be better if you get a workshop manual.
co-ord sport have them for £30.

hope this helps
delboy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Fuse Link for the AYC is actually situated on the Positive battery connection terminal. To remove it you need to disconnect the terminal from the battery and carefully prise open the plastic covers below the terminal. You then need to undo the bolt that holds the fuselink in. By the way the AYC fuselink is the one on the left that looks like an axle symbol, the other is for the ABS system. An alternative to undoing the fuselink is to temporarily disconnect the AYC relay. The AYC relay is in the engine bay on the rear bulkhead directly below the VIN plate (or in other words on the rear bulkhead in line with the right hand top side of the engine cam cover). I have just had a look and it is just a case of rolling up the rubber sheath and uncliping the 2 clips on the connector and pulling it out. I wouldn't leave the relay disconnected for long period as water may get into the connection. You may get error codes appearing when you run the car with the AYC disconnected but they can be reset by disconnecting the battery for 15 seconds. The car can run with AYC disconnected without harm, the AYC just acts as an open diff when not in operation.
Remember when you disconnect the battery for longer than 15 seconds the engine ECU will be reset. It is adviseable to run the engine for 15 minutes on idle after reconnection in order for the ECU to work out the correct settings for your engine.

Remember to check all the other suspension components as suggested before for damage, wear or insecurity. Its also worth checking for leaking dampers or a broken spring. Do this before fiddling with the AYC as it will be easier.

Can you clarify the symptoms a bit more? Front or Rear? Left or Right? Does it pull to one side while cruising or under braking? Any noises? Is it better or worse on full lock/partial lock?

As I said before it is difficult to diagnose problems like this over the internet and you may have to wait until the garage can look at it next week.

Let me know how you get on and I hope its nothing serious.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wouldn't it be easier just to pump the tyres up a little and check the handling.
AYC on flat tyres is like trying to shag a fat bird on a water bed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shorty....
I did not have a flat tyre,that was the best way I could describe it.Anyway the problem has sorted itself out so I am happy again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Original Post:
AYC on flat tyres is like trying to shag a fat bird on a water bed.
I've never driven an AYC-equipped car for any great distance, but strangely I now know how it feels....

Comedy gold my son!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You weren't coming off the sliproad from the services onto the M1, going north, near Nottingham when this occurred, were you?

Before you all think I'm mad, there's logic to this. Same thing happened to me one night, car started to pull a bit to one side, steering felt odd. Pulled over and checked, no flat, all tyres OK. Drove slowly to next exit, back on to the services, checked again. Couldn't see anything untoward, but worried about it all the way home.

Then, blow me, if it didn't happen again, in daylight. And I could see the problem... the motorway at that point has some wear ruts in it for about 1/2 mile. And the car was tramlining in them!

Worries you though, because when it seems to fix it itself, you're so concerned it'll do it again or something will drop off that the slightest road noise or bump seems like the sound of doom!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I must admit that the roads up and around leicester and above are like Bloodaxe mentioned.I thought I had warped disc ,the same day I had new pads fitted for Cadwell on the journey up.
Strangely it stopped on the track' but began again on my trip back and stopped at some where near northampton.Weird!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got rid of the fat bird ,the car drives perfect.
Ya cant have toooooo many fat biords in the back cause it distablises the AYC.
Am in in a chat ROOM ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
U may have driven thru some spilt diesel , this happened to me and it made the car feel like it had a couple of flat tyres for a good few miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts