Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am thinking seriously about changing from my Evo 8 FQ-300 to a Golf R32. I have seen a nice black one but am in a quandry as to whether the deal is right or not. It would be a straight swap for mine. The R32 has done 9k miles and mine has done 30k miles.

I just dont know whether I will regret it more than whether the deal is right or not. I am confident I am getting a reasonable deal for my Evo but just dont know if I should give up the Evo for a golf.

Reason I am doing this is because the move of my work means service intervals due to extra mileage will be a killer!

At 30k my evo is possible to sell anymore and I will struggle I think as no one like high mileage sports cars (especially turbo ones).

Can someone tell me what their impressions are of the R32 as I am test driving it on Thursday, what is it like as a daily driver and is it going to be a big mistake?

As the sun starts to come out and my car stays clean for longer I am getting more and more peoples heads turning and some saying how much they like my car. Its going to all change if I do the deal........

Id the R32 a good car people? I ask as I have always valued your opinion over any forum that is dedicated to golfs or hot hatches thats for sure!

Napier

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
To be honest mate you will enjoy the Golf for about a week then get bored and want an Evo again ! It's always the way !

Mind you the Golf will hold it's money well which is always a bonus :D

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
If you don't want an evo anymore then IMO that is a great deal to swap for the R32.

They are meant to be an excellent car, and you are right about the mileage on the VIII, the R32 will not lose much money and is probably a better car to do high mileages in anyhow.

They are however about the same on fuel consumption due to their lardy weight.

As you know, i have just moved downwards to a FRS, and I love it, (and am not yet hankering back after another evo) however it is a lot cheaper to run than either of your choices !

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Good all round car. Top Spec, grips well, no turbo lag. A car that will blend in as some folk like that.

It will not beat an Evo for fun and thrills, but if your milage is going jump up, I'd rather be in the golf as the Evo is a poor car for long journeys IMHO.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I owned an R32 for a year i was very impressed however i do like to change my cars if i see something else that catches my eye. I did part x it for a RX8 and regretted it big time. The thing that i found most annoying about the R32 is the short gear ratios i.e. 0-60 requires 3rd gear without caning it too much but as a daily driver i found it perfect. Fantastic interior with the leather konig bucket seats(heated) good stereo 6cd in dash changer comfortable motorway mile muncher. Dont get me wrong the car is quick but just not as brutal as a turbo. I found that when i purchased mine that VW do a long life service plan so your cars computer defines when it requires a service so depending on how hard you drive it the service intervals will be between 9000-18000miles unfourtunately for me it was 9000 quote was £186 for that service which isnt too sad, tyres are a little expensive 225 x 40 x 18 but the pilot sports offer great grip in all weathers in the wet it can let go if you take the **** on roundabouts etc but its reasonably easy to control.
If your planning on keeping it i would certainly look into paying these guys a visit in oxford www.auto-amd.com who are regarded as very good vw-audi tuners a can sort out a package to suit you im sure a 300 bhp R32 would be just as rewarding as an VIII, just be aware that it is quad cam i'd imagine thta would be expensive come service time, as for mpg yes it can drop sub 20's on a blast but can see 25+ on a run realisticly i think its cheaper than an evo as i usually got around 230-250 miles per tankfull

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
why are they so heavy?

Why is the R32 so heavy does anyone know?

Is it fun to drive? I have driven allot of cars in my time and the evo is far the best I have been in. Not with regards to ride quality but definately the best for cornering and steering.

I hear the brakes on the R32 are good too does anyone know what these are?

Still unsure however your comments are helping me stop worrying that I am doing the wrong thing ;-)

Read some good reviews however due to weight and its power I think I will want an evo again sometime soon. Still this is the reasonably sensible option for now.

Napier

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Think the golf weighs in around 1500kg it has no space saver just a puncture repair kit to keep that weight down, however this is how the salesman put it too me when i swapped my STi7 for the R32 " its going to different for you sir no special turbo just a big engine in a small car " if you can live with that then go for it.. as for the brakes they're VW racing i think nice blue calipers good stoppers but then the evo's do feel particularly poor in that area sometimes. The cars weight does have a downside making it sluggish to the evo but it has got a 3.2ltr engine in the front and a lot of the comforts you dont get with some jap cars but the extra weight does make it feel incredibly stable on the other side of 150mph :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
I traded my first evo in for an R32... the fact that i am now driving another Evo VII again says it all really!

Nice cars, well built, comfortable, heated seats..... but no excitement whatsoever!

Just depends what you want, mine lasted 3 months!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3 months!!!!!!!!!

Yours lasted 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do love the drive of my evo and am worried I may not be able to give up the fun.

Is it really that boring, is there no fun ellement to it? Is it good with overtaking does it have some good power?

hmmmm not sure it is going to be enough fun :-(

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what does it sound like

Every review I have read says that there is a loud boom at low revs but the engine exhaust note sounds great.

Is this true, does it sound better than the evo is I guess what I am asking as the evo is the loudest car I have driven too.

Napier

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
The other alternative is to get a cheapo diesel daily driver and keep the Evo for weekend fun etc. Depending on your mileage and what you buy it might not be too much more expensive.

Steve.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Get a motorbike! and keep the evo!

for boring commutes Mway journeys etc I always use the motorbike.

fairly cheap to run and is something different (a new toy!!) and traffic delays are a thing of the past. U can get something modern fast and reliable for £2k easily.

If you don't like the idea in the winter, just use in warmer weather and you will still reduce ur evo commuting mileage and have just as much fun!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The R32 is an excellent car, especially if you are clocking up the miles (we all know EVO's don't make much sense financially if you are doing higher miles).

The R32 is even better if you get the AMD upgrade to 280 bhp. My mate bought one over a year ago and got the upgrade done, its very impressive and has virtually identical performance to a standard Evo6.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
mike_turbo said:
steve, on that note, i have just sold my "daily driver" as i dont think it was saving me any money really... :cry:
What was the daily chugger and what sort of mileage were you doing Mike? The financial sums depend mainly on how cheap your cheapo car is to run and how much money you were wasting on petrol/servicing etc in the Evo.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motorbike

I see the logic in a motorbike however I was never that good on a bycycle. I always thought I was but managed to cycle into a lamp post once! So on reflection motorbike + Napier = dead Napier.

Therefore buying a motorbike would cost me more than the evo.

hmmm If I am going to get bored of the R32 do you guys think I should just stick with the evo then? Won't the shape of the evo 8 with the big spoiler look dated soon as I think in a year or two it will. It is becoming a bit chav now with the amount of hoons being able to afford one and drive one like idiots.

I used to have a Lexus and that was really comfy, I dont want that soft wallowie ride again as it drove like one of my slippers (if ever you could drive a slipper ;-) I still need a sporty drive with fun second gear and good pull for over taking. I find the evo the safest car I have driven as overtaking is easy. I speed less in it too believe it or not as in the Lexus I used to do over 100mph all the time not thinking about it as it was so quiet. I never fall asleep in the evo it keeps you sharp and you are very much involved in the drive. I don't enjoy the build quality so much and have a fear things may start to go wrong with it and get even more costly. I think it is best to bail out of this one now due to the mileage and maybe come back at a later date if I really can't part with the evo power.

However on the subject of next car this R32 problem is still one I am not enjoying.

Can someone elaborate on the sound of the enginer, what is this boom you get from the reviews I have read, is it noisey, does it sound good? I used to have a FTO which was V6 but not particularily noisey... it sounded ok but not evo or scoopy sound.

What is the ride like, is it soft, does it wobbly round corners can you drive it hard and does it feel sporty?

Napier

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have driven the r32 a couple of times and as a daily driver with a bit of poke it is a good car. Much better built than the evo and far more comfortable. It is a good hot hatch but in terms of performance it is nothing compared to the evo. Its well planted and feels quick as long as you have never driven anything like the evo.
The brakes are good anf the exhaust note is pleasant enough but no where near as loud or aggresive as the evo. there is actaly a mod done by a lot of owners that removes a valv of sme description within the exhaust to give it more of a burble.
You will want to keep in mind the amd tuning package as you will want this done. I drove the r32 after driving my chipped 1.8t anniversary and whilst the r32 felt more planted, in comparison to my turbo it was sluggish.

Hope this helps.

Lee

1 - 20 of 47 Posts