Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my 6 week old Helix 6 paddle clutch plate leavered off my fly wheel, after only 2000 miles of reasonably carefull miles. I am obviously trying to get a refund from Co-ordsport and was wondering if anyone else had experienced problems with one of these clutches. I do realise that this was a com/tion clutch and not totally suited to every day driving, but I would hope that it would last longer than it did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have just had my 6 week old Helix 6 paddle clutch plate leavered off my fly wheel, after only 2000 miles of reasonably carefull miles

Do you mean the clutch is gone?? That's not a very good lifetime! I am really surprised. I heard paddle clutches makes a lot of noise and vibrations. Do they? Hopefully you will get a (partial) refund or a discount on a new one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya Claudius,
Correct the clutch has gone, the plate was totally welded to the fly wheel on 2 of the 6 paddles, this has also knackered the fly wheel. I am trying to get a refund from Co-ord. but have not purchased the replacement from them, I'll let you know how I get on.
I personnally would never get a paddle clutch again, they are solely built for comp. use which makes them very hard work to use on the road, they overheat very easily and you are correct in thinking they are very noisey, they can also cause vibrations.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say that you are probably not going to get a refund, as it is quite a well known fact that paddle clutches are not for normal road use and using them in everyday traffic is about the most knackering thing a paddle clutch could face. It'll deal with a special stage anyday, but the M25 at 6pm is hell.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do now realise that this clutch isn't intended for road use. I rang Co-ord for a standard replacement clutch and was told that it could be up to 6 weeks for delivery, they then suggested the Helix 6 paddle clutch, as far as I'm aware this is one of 3 clutches that Helix do and also the most unsuitable for road use.
1 - Organic full plate clutch - Fast Road.
2 - Ceramic 4 paddle clutch - Race/comp.
3 - Ceramic 6 paddle clutch - Comp. only.
Why was I suggested the 6 paddle clutch?? Why was I not advised that this clutch is not suitable for road use?? Could it be it was the only one they had in stock and also the most expensive!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right your clutch is only for competition use and the person that sold it to you a) doesn't have a clue or b) ripped you off. As it was co-ordsport I would guess it's a combination of the two...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just ordered the ap racing formula clutch kit for the evo v.
It's just a standard type organic clutch but improved with better cover and better materials of the disc.

It cost around 380£ and it's avaible in a few days from graham goode.
I will let you know how it works!

The better choice is probably a twin plate clutch but they cost more than 1000£!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've gone for the Organic full plate Helix clutch as it uses the same clutch cover as the one I brought with the 6 paddle plate, it cost me £135.00 for the organic plate which I brought through Dave Stellens who is a very helpful and knowledgeble transmission expert and is well worth a call on 01245 231366.
I'll be intrested in how you get on with your AP clutch Maxi, hopefully I'll have mine back on the road today....post my results later!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you've started to use Dave's services? When I contacted him first, it was refreshing to talk to someone who really knows what he's talking about and doesn't try to rip you off, but gives you a few options and explains them. Sadly I can't use his services anymore as I live in Germany now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iam being quoted £1200|PLS| for a Daikin twin plate kit, can anybody tell me if it is worth buying. I saw a OS Giken twin plate with fly wheel for about the same price ex-Japan. Which is more worth buying?

Lawrence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I been driving my car all weekend with the Helix Organic full plate clutch fitted and i can honestly say i'm glad the 6 paddle clutch broke. The clutch has a beefy solid feel, slightly stiffer pedal than standard and feels perfect for road use, all I can say is do you really need that noisey, stiff and harsh twin plate/paddle clutch for fast road use!!!!

Hows the AP clutch Maxi?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't already have my ap formula clutch kit as I'm waiting the parts from graham goode(I ordered some other things as the HKS intercooler,pillow ball top mounts,etc.),and anyway my evo is at the body work shop as the front bumper have to be resprayed,and then I also have to get my proflex serviced.

I'll let you know about the clutch when I get the evo back!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts