Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone made a comment about replacing headlights.

The ones on my VI are fairly crap, and with no headlight washers they get even worse.

What are the best bulbs to choose? How much? From where? And does the extra heat crack the lenses?

Hey - you guys know the answer! Let us in on it.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the same problem with my V. I just bought the Xenon bulbs from good old Halfords (30% Brighter) - but not the blue ones, they don't last very long, and in all honesty you don't need any extra visual attractions in an Evo do you!

The lights are now brilliant - pun intended

ps they are about £9.00/Bulb I think

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I thought the lights were not up to much so I did some work to find out what was the best solution.

I found out that the back of the headlamp pods are plastic so you have to be REALLY carefull of the heat generated.

I bought the PIAA plasma blue 80W/80W bulbs (althougth they claim they are equivelent to 130W) These bulbs are also non E marked so should not be used on UK roads.

These cost about £75 delivered, but they made very little difference. In fact I am now running the standard bulbs again.

I have since been told that the same power bulbs in super white are the way to go, but I think I'll wait before blowing that kind of dosh again http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Someone also told me that if you start the engine with your new high power bulbs on they can explode!! - If anyone would like to test this, please post back with the result!!

Naunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My GSR came from Japan with the 80w PIAA bulbs fitted and they were ace, despite the Lancer's reputation for poor lighting. When one went last year, I replaced it with a 100w jobbie from Halfords and it puts out about the same amount of light, just slightly less white.

The second PIAA is still going strong (I've had the car for 18 months), but the Halfords bulb I bought about 10 months ago just went yesterday. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice I suppose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Followed someone's advice and had a look on the scoobynet bulletin board. Here's what they say about headlights...

One of the main problems with the standard Impreza, is that the headlights are extremely poor for the levels of performance offered by the car. Traditionally, owners wishing to increase the output of their headlamps would fit higher wattage bulbs (illegal in the UK!). Unfortunately, in some sort of cost/weight saving frenzy, Subaru seem to have equipped the Impreza with plastic reflectors and the absolute minimum thickness of wiring necessary to drive the standard headlights. There have been numerous cases reported of the wiring getting very hot, and in some cases reflectors and wiring melting with higher wattage bulbs fitted. Some owners have been running the higher wattage bulbs without problem for several years. Fit these types of bulbs at your own risk!

Another option are high performance Xenon bulbs, which claim to offer 30% brighter light, for the same power. A growing number of owners are fitting these type of bulbs, including myself, and they do make a noticeable difference. The light produced is noticeably brighter (whiter), especially off-beam, when you can pick up a lot more detail at the edge of the road. As long as you are not expecting them to turn darkness into daylight, then they are a worthwhile improvement. These Xenon bulbs are available from a number of sources. PIAA have also introduced a range of high-efficiency bulbs, with e.g. the 80w bulb producing equivalent light to a 130w conventional bulbs. These are very expensive though!

So - fit the big bulbs and your EVO might not blow up, but the wiring might burst into flames. I think I'll buy some Xenons...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bloodaxe, the 80w are not e-marked and as such should not be used on a road car ... However your right on the cost, Co-ord will charge you £70 for 2 bulbs, for the 80w, however they also have a standard replacement for £43 that will give 110/100 output visit :

http://www.coordsport.co.uk/Parts/PIAA%20Pages/Summary%20Bulbs.htm

The interesting thing is you visit PIAA actual uk pages they list the prices on their website ALOT less... But I'm not sure if the price is per pack or each. If it is per pack and there is enough takers, then perhaps we can do a bulk purchase ?

PIAA : http://www.piaa.co.uk/HTML/Catalogue/CatIndex.htm

Thanks

Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whilst in for service, I asked BTR or Castleford what headlights they used to upgrade the rally cars they prepare.

Headlights? was the reply. We don't touch them. We just fit THESE!

At which point he showed me a massive 4 pod lamp kit that bolts on the front and provides instant daylight.

Guess I'll try Halfords...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts