Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The main headlamp beam has blown on my E6.I know when I go to Halfords it`s not going to be listed,does anyone know what the correct bulb is?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Went and bought some yesterday! Type 472. Did have the ultra brights - 30% brighter, but they were still dim by comparison to other cars I've had. Opted for the 90/130 equiv as people have said that the loom was capable in the past... seem very good so far

HTH

Geffers

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Bulbs are H4 and common as muck.

regarding the loom, my personal opinion is that its not up to an upgrade of the 90/130 sort. 130W will pull about 11A. The supply cables look like 0.5mm2 which are Ok up to about 8A. At 11A the losses down the cable will be higher and you will not get the full power of the bulb plus of course the cable will get hot. IMO if you want to go this high then fit relays and separate positive feed. personally i stuck in some high effeiciency 55/60 Bosch Xenon bulbs which seem OK.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Geffers,

Do the bulbs to which you refer actually consume 130/90 wattts, or do they give an equivalent light output to a 130/90 bulb? I've got a set of PIAA ultra bright bulbs, but they're still crap compared even to std Fiesta headlamps.

Is it established that the loom/relays/switches can handle the extra current on the E6?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Can't remember where I saw the post, as it was a whie back. May have been on here or yahoogroups. Didn't have either to hand when the bulb blew yesterday! I am willing to stand corrected tho'.
Only comment the chap made was '90/130's are illegal if they weren't fitted to the original car. They should only be used off road'
:D
Geffers

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
It appears I had Piaa bulbs,I have just spoken to the guy I bought the car from and he did some work for PIAA and they gave him some special bulbs,might explain why I always thought my lights were really good and alot of other owners said there bulbs were crap.Hopefully he will talk to the guy at PIAA tomorrow and get the serial number for me.If anyone else wants it post here!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Colonel Smith

Yes please let us have the PIAA number. I've been using the PIAA BC2 Super White, which uses 80/80 watts and should be as bright as a conventional 135/115 watt H4 bulb. I still don't rate the dipped beam much and asume it's a function of the crap headlight design. It's OK until cars come the other way and you realise just how much more lumens the other guys are putting out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I used to have the 80w PIAAs, the Halfords HBU 484s that replaced them seem to do the same job at about a sixth of the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I changed the bulbs in my scooby for 90/100w and they were in there for 1.5 years. Now I've put those bulbs in the Evo and it certainly improved the lighting. No problems as yet! Only three weeks on!
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Just spoke to PIAA UK and they do some mege bulbs - 150/100 W and 180/135 W actual power consumed.
These bulbs definately need relay control and new heavy gauge wire from battery. PIAA do a kit with relays connectors etc to link into the std setup where the connector goes onto the bulb. Part number of kit is PHS2H.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
hang on a minute!

Ok, 180/150 watt bulbs will be nice and bright and you can see where you're going, but:

a. if you get stopped by the rozzers and they check, they will do you!

b. 150 watt bulbs must dazzle oncoming traffic |EQU| dangerous

c. 180 watts of juice @ 12v |EQU| 15 amps! I'd be interested how this will affect the battery and alternator over a period of time!

We all want better lighting ( cos the evo IS crap in this department), but there has got to be a happy medium!

Also, has anyone changed an E5 foglights for driving lights, 'cos I wanna?!

Pond

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Pondy,

Agreed the bulbs are not legal for the EU. I live on Guernsey (non EU) and hopefully won't have a problem with the rozzers. I find the 80/80 W bulbs OK in England when I visit, but here the roads are VERY narrow with no street lighting. Traffic is also very heavy and the Evo lights are totally outgunned by oncoming traffic on dip - even with the 80/80 bulbs. So I reckon that even with 150 W there will not be a dazzle problem. After all, if we think the lights are dim, then so will the oncoming traffic.

From memory, the Evo alternator is 90A, so using 30A for a pair of bulbs won't even make it sweat. The battery only comes into play if you leave the headlights on with no engine running - a nickable offence.

And since when did Evo drivers worry about breaking the law a little?

OK, we just bend it a bit.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I've got the PIAA 80/80 |EQU| 110/135 output bulbs. They are better than standard , but still pretty C$%p. Really noticed it last night - it's very difficult to drive normally , never mind push on when you can't see where you are going.

Best Mod I ever made to my old golf was a high power wiring loom , lots of Big feed cables , Earthed back to the battery, relays the lot - It made a HUGE difference. So short of fitting the full 4 lamp pod a loom is the best option.

Couple of questions to finish

-Has anyone tried HID replacement bulb systems on an evo?
-Where is the best place to get PIAA stuff?

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I had to remove the blown bulb over the weekend,It was a PIAA like I said but only 55/60w.The bloke who works for PIAA is away on holiday so I cannot find out what type of bulbs these were and if he can get me some more,but these were the brighest bulbs I have ever used.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Bought my PIAA replacement bulbs at the Castle Coombe Rally day.

Rated 150/150W, but only draw 80/80W, hence no need to alter loom, etc.

They give a much whiter light and are a vast improvement that standard.

Cost about £70.00 the pair, which isn’t cheap.

The UK PIAA importers are based near Weston-Super-Mare, seemed nice chaps, try contacting them direct for best price.

Oh, yes, the box they came in is mainly in Japanese, but model/type appears to be

Platinum H.I.D. H4 80/80W and amp;gt; 150/150W H-89

1 - 17 of 17 Posts