Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of reading here and come to some conclusions about my next choice that I'd like challenging in order to help me refine my thinking or point out some flaw.

I'm going to buy an EVO, I have a budget of upto 20K for the right car and could stretch further if I really got a lot more for my money.

I'm pretty much decided on an EVO 8 as it seems to be more useable that the 7, not least because it has a larger fuel tank.

What I'm looking for is not the fastest variant but something that can at least make a half hearted stab at being a car that can fulfill all roles required of it. For me this means some long distance travelling on special occasions (by long distance I mean 5 or 6 hundred miles at least) fuel costs being covered by the company so not an issue. Odd trips to the track and something that can entertain on B road blasts.

So I started looking and found that an EVO 260+remap seems to fill all of my needs and that it's seriously below budget. Firstly I prefer it's looks, not being a fan of large spoilers. Then I believe it's seats are more comfortable and that the 5 speed box is meant to be 'sweeter' (have no experience of this myself). I can't help feeling that one of these pushing 300bhp delivers 90% of the 'EVO experience' but at 60% of the cost while being more suited to the role I want it to fill.

My only concerns are the fact you can't get them with HID/Xenon lights and that I'm somehow missing an important point here and that an MR or GSR would be a much better bet.

Please bear in mind I don't intend any mods other than a remap and maybe exhaust otherwise I'm sure an MR would be a lot better.

Despite searching I can't find a definitive answer to some questions.

Was the EVO VIII GSR an official UK car and did they all have HID/Xenons as standard?

Also do all 'MR' designated cars have HID/Xenon as standard

and how easy would it be to fit decent xenons/HID's to a 260?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,884 Posts
Originally posted by Welldata
> Was the EVO VIII GSR an official UK car and did they all
> have HID/Xenons as standard?

Only the FQs have the lights, I believe they are fitted as part of the "UK conversion". You can retro-fit but they are expensive.

Also if you're doing 500 miles in a journey you might find the 6sp box better for economy. Sounds like you'd probably be better off with an FQ300. You get the lights (which are excellent) and the 6sp. If you don't like the spoiler you can remove/change it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
if you are getting an VIII get an MR, no question.

Its within your budget and the MR is a superior car, the car drives much better with the better suspension (and being a bit lighter).

The MR is the desireable version of the 8 so when you come to sell it on you will have the version people are looking for.

I've owned a few VIII's the MR is definitely a much nicer car to drive and fine as an every day car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like an FQ will be the way to go but I've got an eye for a bargain and can't help wondering if a remapped 260 doesn't give me most of the thrills and leave me with 'enough left over for a nice little holiday' (note I don't actually need to save the money to go n holiday, that's a joke!).

That said by the time I'd put HID's on it then the difference becomes a grand less I suppose. Is there any kind of market for the larger spoilers? With any luck I might be able to find a 260 owner who wants the MR look.

Economy isn't an issue as much as touring range. I'd want to get at least 250 miles out of a tank. Does that seem realistic cruising in an FQ300?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,884 Posts
Welldata said:
Economy isn't an issue as much as touring range. I'd want to get at least 250 miles out of a tank. Does that seem realistic cruising in an FQ300?
You'll get about 220-230 just day to day driving. On a steady run you'd get about 280.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds reasonable to me. Looks like it's going to be an MR or FQ with xenons for me.

Are the spoilers interchangeable fairly easily?

·
Registered
983 Posts
You will get 250 miles from a tank on long journeys cruising at 60/70mph, 200 miles is more realistic. The MR is a lot less harsh as a daily driver and the seats / trim were improved over the 8.

Cheers
Eddie

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I have a set of fq300 xenons if you want to buy them.

I replaced mine with evo 9 items.

certainly won't be a grand, but then I have no idea of how easily they retrofit in terms of wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Welldata said:
Sounds reasonable to me. Looks like it's going to be an MR or FQ with xenons for me.

You will be first person I've heard of to change from a MR spoiler to a 260 type :)

Should fit ok, the 260 spoiler has a third fixing in the centre of it and also includes the centre stop light unlike the FQ / MR which have theirs on the rear parcel shelf.

You will definately not have any trouble selling yours or swopping it! :D

Ps I'l do a straight swop if you get stuck :) mines already in silver!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do know why they are called 'spoilers'?

I'd have none if I didn't think it would leave a nasty mark! :crackup:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Welldata said:

[/QUOTEi will swop spoilers with you :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
You have £20k to spend and you haven't snapped the arm off "J33LUS"
for his Evo 6 TME RS Monte Carlo edition............Got to be THE nicest and rarest Mitsy's on the planet :D :D :D

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Originally posted by barrie
I would buy a evo 9 GT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now why a 9 GT Barry ?
Do you happen to have one by any chance
An evo 9 GT with a 260 spoiler
==============================================

Because they are the best value for money you can get , Have all GSR luxarys and have RS running gear which is very very strong . Have short ratio box which is 5 speed - the best in my opinion . Dont think i need to say anymore ;)

Do a search on here graham , you will soon find out why i say buy a GT

Ps - i dont have any GT's in stock only in japan at the moment but nigel s does

Thanks Barrie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts