Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I’ve had my IV for a couple of years now and loving it.

Ever since I have had the car there has been a grumble/vibration noise from underside of the car when decelerating. Put the clutch down or put her in neutral and the noise goes away. If you have the radio on at a sensible level you can hear the noise grumble in the background

The car came from Japan with an RS rear diff, which I’ve had refurbed. When I had the engine and gearbox out I fitted an Exedy standard clutch assembly.
I’ve checked absolutely everything underneath and can not find any wear or fault.

This is the interesting thing………
After I have had the car on a 2 poster ramp the noise totally disappears! Roughly 10 - 15 decelerations the noise gradually comes back.
So when the cars wheels are hanging it resets something.
It is doing my head in trying to find the problem. Perhaps I should just turn the radio louder.
Thanks in advance
Phil

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Phil,

Might seem a long shot, but with the evo 4 the rear track width is 10mm less each side so if some one has fitted an RS rear diff from anything other than a 4rs, you may have drive shafts that are bottoming out and causing this noise. However saying that it’s not likely that a clutch dip would prevent this.

So, with this being a noise related to clutch depress and being in neutral it sounds like it could be input shaft related, possible bearing. Did you rebuild the gearbox when it was taken out?

Cheers, Dave.

·
Very Senior User
1,105 Posts
Wheel bearings? I've had strange noises from them even though there was no obvious play. If you undo the drive shaft nut and re-tighten noises will often go away but then come back a little later.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Dave.
Believe it or not I did think of the rear driveshafts. I’ll have to pull aside the rear hub and see wether the inner joint is all the was in itself. I know they are RS shafts as there was no ABS rings on them.
No I didn’t rebuild the box when it was all out.
Thanks for your input.
Phil,

Might seem a long shot, but with the evo 4 the rear track width is 10mm less each side so if some one has fitted an RS rear diff from anything other than a 4rs, you may have drive shafts that are bottoming out and causing this noise. However saying that it’s not likely that a clutch dip would prevent this.

So, with this being a noise related to clutch depress and being in neutral it sounds like it could be input shaft related, possible bearing. Did you rebuild the gearbox when it was taken out?

Cheers, Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel bearings? I've had strange noises from them even though there was no obvious play. If you undo the drive shaft nut and re-tighten noises will often go away but then come back a little later.
Thank you for the info.
I have had the rear driveshafts out to fit the abs ring. The noise came back as it usually does.
thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts