Does anyone use this intercooler if so was do u think for :-

1, fitting
2, quality
3, powergains

Help appreciated:smthumbup

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've got the spec M on my E6. Fitting was perfect, quality of workmanship/build is great, but as for any power gains, pass.

One thing I did notice is that it has a slightly higher pressure drop through the core compared to the o.e intercooler, therefore to retain the same level of manifold pressure your blower will now be working that bit harder, which in turn ups the air charge temperature. Not a problem if the core is more efficient at dropping act's, but can't comment on that yet as one of my k-type probes is ****ed :(

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I also have one of these fitted to my IX. Fitting & Quality are fantastic and it looks superb. As for power gains an intercooler alone will not increase power as this is done buy addidng other mods and is simply a means to an end. However, the M-Spec is only rated to 450BHP and I'd imagine the std unit would be capable of this figure, hence, it is more of just a cosmetic feature than an uprated item. For the monay though it is a worth while cosmetic enhancement for your front end provided that your not intending to chase huge power figures. I'm 100% happy!!!!

Also see my car!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have one of these fitted to my IX. Fitting & Quality are fantastic and it looks superb. As for power gains an intercooler alone will not increase power as this is done buy addidng other mods and is simply a means to an end. However, the M-Spec is only rated to 450BHP and I'd imagine the std unit would be capable of this figure, hence, it is more of just a cosmetic feature than an uprated item. For the monay though it is a worth while cosmetic enhancement for your front end provided that your not intending to chase huge power figures. I'm 100% happy!!!!

Also see my car!!!
Cheers for reply m8:smthumbup So the standard intercooler would be every bit as good for horsepower figures if the boost was increased??

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Cheers for reply m8:smthumbup So the standard intercooler would be every bit as good for horsepower figures if the boost was increased??
Don't quote me but I would say so, however, having not done a direct comparisson between the 2 I cannot technically give you an accurate answer. I personally only went for the spec-m as my std intercooler was damaged! If you can afford to I would go for the spec-V or spec-R intercooler but it all depends what plans you have for the car!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Don't quote me but I would say so, however, having not done a direct comparisson between the 2 I cannot technically give you an accurate answer. I personally only went for the spec-m as my std intercooler was damaged! If you can afford to I would go for the spec-V or spec-R intercooler but it all depends what plans you have for the car!
Got the fuel pump and bolts fitted last week and was jus gona get it ecuteked and try to get as close to 400/400 as possible thought id need an uprated intercooler but maybay will be able to reach this with the standard one??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts