Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
getting a new kitchen and was looking (sorry getting dragged round by my misses) at the one she wants, then i saw them absolutely stunning onyx black granite worktops 3x 3mtrs for 1500.00 sounds okay dont you think,so ive agreed to the kitchen as long as wqe get the worktops now i'm getting the kitchen prof fitted but is there any issues with fitting granite worktops or are they fairly straight forward to fit. also seen black granite tiles for the floor 10.00 each :D but ive gotta have em, think i'll get them a bit cheaper as i'm the manager of the shop :D :D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what you after young man, hey i can sort out trade discount for the mlr but it can only be from my store and i cant deliver, but you will get up to 40% off adhesives and tiles we also do, laminates and real wood can do 15% off them, if any one is interested let me know, the store is in warrington cheshire

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
leonard i see your quite a bit away from me, if you live near a topps tiles go and have a look at some tiles if you see any you like pm me and i'll sort you disc from that store
okay mate

·
Registered
9,325 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
are you going to try and fit them yourself m8?
i do electrical work mainly for fitted kitchen centres and have seen many granite tops fitted, but would certainly not recomend you try to fit them yourself .

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no mate ive got a fitter doing it,
matt we do a bumpy white 8" tile just like that for 30p each :D looks nice with a limestone mosiac border pm me if you like any.
cheers
chris

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
don't know too much about kitchens however I do know that you can't fit granite worktops onto just any units. The carcasses of the cupboards have to be stronger in order to support the weight of the granite.

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Make sure its sealed otherwise hot cups etc will leave a mark

Jez

·
Registered
45 Posts
We had blue pearl granite fitted in are kitchen, This stuff is great you can chop on it put hot pans on it, It's bullet proof.

But It is tricky to fit and get right so you need someone that knows what there doing, It ok if you have straight walls though.

Are house was over a 100 years old and a bit wonky. LOL

rob

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I make gravestones for a living and use all the different granites on a daily basis.

If you take a chunk out your knackered and granite can scratch very easy. You`re better going for a lighter colour of granite which won`t show scratches. i.e. light grey. Karin Grey Granite is probably the best. Very hard and won`t show scratches.

Blue pearl is a very soft granite and after time you will wear the polish off. Re-polishing is very difficult because it involves lots of water and would be very difficult to do it inside someones house. There are produst on the market that will give you the polish back visually but it will soon wear off.

I can get it at daft prices through the trade and wouldn`t have it in an everyday kitchen at all. Personally I think it`s best for show purposes only.

·
Registered
45 Posts
forest172 said:
I make gravestones for a living and use all the different granites on a daily basis.

If you take a chunk out your knackered and granite can scratch very easy. You`re better going for a lighter colour of granite which won`t show scratches. i.e. light grey. Karin Grey Granite is probably the best. Very hard and won`t show scratches.

Blue pearl is a very soft granite and after time you will wear the polish off. Re-polishing is very difficult because it involves lots of water and would be very difficult to do it inside someones house. There are produst on the market that will give you the polish back visually but it will soon wear off.

I can get it at daft prices through the trade and wouldn`t have it in an everyday kitchen at all. Personally I think it`s best for show purposes only.
You proberly know your stuff fella, All I can say is that we had are's fitted and used everyday in a house with 4 kids and never had a problem with scratches at all, We chopped and put hot pans on it everyday.

But we did polish it every month at least with granite polish.

rob

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
vpulsar said:
You proberly know your stuff fella, All I can say is that we had are's fitted and used everyday in a house with 4 kids and never had a problem with scratches at all, We chopped and put hot pans on it everyday.

But we did polish it every month at least with granite polish.

rob
yeah like I said the granite polish`s etc. will hide/mask scratches etc. keeping them in top visual condition for years.

I`m really just saying they aren`t as bombproof as people think, and if damaged/scratched it can be an expensive problem.

Hot pans aren`t a problem but I wouldn`t recommend chopping on them consistantly I`d get a seperate piece of granite for that.

How long you had the worktops??

·
Registered
45 Posts
forest172 said:
How long you had the worktops?? [/B]
We had it for 4 years before we sold the house and moved the scotland.

And where very happy with it, If it got covered in sticky **** I used to just rub it over with a soapy stainless pan scrubber and it was as good as new, Far better than the cheap 5hite fitted in are new house.

As soon as we can afford it the tops will be being changed to granite again.

rob

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm a kitchen fitter. I have had to fit granite a couple of times but usually I just fit the units then the granite guys come and take templates (hardboard) of the room and go and manufacture them to fit exactly. You can buy lengths of granite but remember very few rooms are square.

The units have to be perfectly level or it will crack. The units don't have to be special just standard units. If there is any unsupported area like the back of the sink base (usually) it will need a strap of wood along the wall.

Basically if the units are level and everywhere is supported then its no problem. If you are getting a fitter in to do this then he should already know whats needed.

It looks lovely when its done right.

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
M6 EVC said:
hi m6 evc,
spoke to the kitchen fitter and he cant do them so i know a place where i can buy and they fit them so i'm gonna fit the kitchen myself its only small and the hardest part was fitting the worktops (did my last one) so i'm saving 1k straight off and ive been told they do the granite at 150.00 a mtr which again will save me 500.00 also getting my tiles direct from the supplier (good friend of mine) at 3.35 ea :D retail there 10.00 so ive told the misses will do the bathroom as well fancy one of those massage showers were the water comes out of 8 diffrent jets :panyone got one of these, think i'll have limestone in the bathroom though 60x40 slabs they look really nice with a mosiac running around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts