Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its not really a good vibration, in fact its a rather worrying one. Between 65 and 85 the steering wheel vibrates like mad its like im driving over cobbles.
Had new suspension, new brakes and had the tyres balanced. Still there though. The brushes on the anti roll bar have gone but carnt see this making such a problem. I have been told that is could be the prop shafts but how could they become damage as I havent done any track time YET!!! The cars a GSR 1800, so dont know if its related to the Evo 6 hub problems.
One other thing which may make me sound a bit thick but do you measure the oil when its hot or cold. Sorry for lowering the tone but i just dont know.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oil is measured cold on level ground.

Vibration at a certain speed sounds like a tyre balancing problem. Has the problem suddenly appeared? (a balancing weight may have fallen off) or was it gradual?

The easiest way to check if it is the balancing is to swap the front and rear wheels around, if the problem remains then it has nothing to do with the wheels/tyres.
Next its worth checking all the suspension bushes. Jack up the car and get someone to push and pull against the top of the wheel while you look at the top bushes for excessive movement. Any spilts or cracking and they need replacing. Likewise do the same with the lower bushes by getting someone to push and pull against the bottom of the wheel.
Have you checked for a badly worn wheel bearing? You should be able to hear it when you spin the wheel but its worth a visual check. Jack the car up and get someone to lever the wheel up and down while you check for free play.
Also check the track rod ends for wear. While the car is jacked up get someone to push and pull at the quarter to three positions on the wheel while you watch for excessive movement. Then grasp the tie-rod and lift to up against the joint to detect any wear (you shouldn't be able to move it up and down).
Remember to be careful with all the pushing and pulling as you can dislodge the car from the axle stands!

I hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, the wheels were balanced today to I think its something else. The front bearings were changed 5000 miles ago. Will have a good look this weekend.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Al

I had the same problem when I got 2 new tyres recently, sorted it out by swapping ends until I could get the tyre replaced. Turns out the tyre was faulty somehow, no amount of balancing would sort it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How could the tyres be faulty though as I havent done much with the car apart from some high speed cornering.
It's really a pain in the arse, i get one thing sorted and then something comes up to f*uck up everyting, typical **** life.
Feel better for that now, let you know if anything comes up.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe you need four-wheel alignment? Its best to do so everytime you remove the front wheels and have the shop fiddle with the suspension, as in my experience, these things are very sensitive.

Funny though how when you are thrashing the car around the twisty stuff, alignment doesn't begin to become a problem unless done repeteadly and excessively. But a simple tire/wheel removal has in my experience been enough to unbalance caster/toe settings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts