Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 260 as a courtesy car cos mine's [email protected], yet again, and omg are they nice to drive. The 5-speed box is perfect, the clutch is silky everything is just so much better than mine! Somehow it doesn't bounce around as much when you push or let go of the accelerator and the engine's generally smoother. Feels like there's no boost though :p still I'd take a tuned 260 over the 400 any day!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Ivan,

So, what have Mits said about the turbo ? Any early diagnosis apart from the "It's fooked isn't it?" ?. What about the drivers day on Thursday - you going to take the 260 ? ;)

James.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow i never thought id hear anyone say that
although i would never pay the extra to have a 400 over a 330 but still
i thought the 260 would be the worst
you driven any others to give comparissons for the 300 and 330 aswell?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi James, yeah monday continued as badly as sunday started... I was there at half 8, it took them a few hours to confirm that yeah, the turbo's shafted sir, great... so now they're waiting for engineers reports and trying to get the turbo in time for the driver day. I've told them that I'll definitely be needing my money back if they don't fix it in time, and after driving this 260 I definitely want a IX GT instead of my 400. I'll take it to Chris at WRC and get him to do everything he can to it under his own warranty - it certainly can't be any worse than mitsubishi's and from what he was saying he'd be able to get quite a bit of power out of it!

Dave, no point in going there for a few days, they'll have their hands full with mine ;) :p have they carried out your sensor recall yet?

Sorry evosavage haven't driven any other evos the 400 was the first one, so I assumed that all of its flaws were inherited from the standard evo - but they're really not, they're big fat extra [email protected] stuck on the 400 "to keep it warranty friendly" apparently - I've completely lost track of what the 400 is about tbh!

·
Registered
747 Posts
FQ400-#018 said:
Hi James, yeah monday continued as badly as sunday started... I was there at half 8, it took them a few hours to confirm that yeah, the turbo's shafted sir, great... so now they're waiting for engineers reports and trying to get the turbo in time for the driver day. I've told them that I'll definitely be needing my money back if they don't fix it in time....
Ivan
Can't see Mitsi ever refunding your full value back for the 400, they might buy it back as secondhand and you'd be slaughtered on price.!
Why would you wanna sell the 400 to buy a run of the mill Evo and tune it, you'd have just another tuned Evo like everyone else.?
Personally I'd sort out warranty probs and keep the 400, it is still the Icon Evo, even if others are quicker.. then once bored either tune it to **** or buy something a bit classier.. ;)

All my own honest opinion. :p

Rob

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ben, unfortunately he was only describing what was possible to the VIII but he had a very nice blue VIII 260 which was tuned up to something very silly like 350+ (james can you remember?). I'm sure it would not be long before he can sort something out for the IX and it would be nice to have warranty from a performance garage!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mrfq340 said:
Can't see Mitsi ever refunding your full value back for the 400, they might buy it back as secondhand and you'd be slaughtered on price.!
Why would you wanna sell the 400 to buy a run of the mill Evo and tune it, you'd have just another tuned Evo like everyone else.?
Personally I'd sort out warranty probs and keep the 400, it is still the Icon Evo, even if others are quicker.. then once bored either tune it to **** or buy something a bit classier.. ;)
Definitely not up for selling it to them secondhand, the way I see it I've been screwed on many warranty issues, they've destroyed my property (my sub), and what clinches the deal is that because of a warranty covered part breaking I'm going to miss the driver training day, something that was advertised as part of the full 47k package right from the start! I'm definitely getting my money back...

But I know what you mean, it is the ultra evo, I'm hoping they'll just fix it quickly and with no hassles, then there are no problems I can go do my driver day and be happy with the car!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
FQ400-#018 said:
Definitely not up for selling it to them secondhand, the way I see it I've been screwed on many warranty issues, they've destroyed my property (my sub), and what clinches the deal is that because of a warranty covered part breaking I'm going to miss the driver training day, something that was advertised as part of the full 47k package right from the start! I'm definitely getting my money back...

But I know what you mean, it is the ultra evo, I'm hoping they'll just fix it quickly and with no hassles, then there are no problems I can go do my driver day and be happy with the car!
Ivan, it's not the ultra evo, check out the Evo VII at the WRC day that did 473ATW with nearly 3000lb tractive effort but crucially with if on full chat at 4000 rpm unlike the FQ400 which is virtually 5000 rpm.

The best news, is you can buy a IX GT and tune it to the same spec for £45k with MA Developments.

Yeah, yuo have no real warranty, but the Mitsi one has already shown to be pretty pants but you do have a realy serious performance Evo.

Oh and guess you could run a bit lower boost and get better reliability than the FQ400.....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
Ivan, it's not the ultra evo, check out the Evo VII at the WRC day that did 473ATW with nearly 3000lb tractive effort but crucially with if on full chat at 4000 rpm unlike the FQ400 which is virtually 5000 rpm.
I think he means the 'ultra outta the box Evo' :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ben_Scammell said:
Ivan, it's not the ultra evo..
Ben
It is the ultimate Evo out of the box, other Evos might be tuned to a higher degree, in the same way that you could tune an M3 to a higher spec than a CSL, but the CSL still wears the badge.!

The 400 is the Icon and wears the badge and has all the associated Kudos..(top gear..etc).. and amongst Evo owners, is the one to compare against..

How many other tuned Evo threads get as much attention.. every fq400 thread I've seen gets the most posts and comparisons.. who would wanna compare their car to a tuned 260 or tuned IX GT.. who would give a ****..?

I compare my car to a fq400 and mine is probably quicker on a track. ;) .. I wouldn't give a ****, how quick a tuned 260 or IX GT would be compared to mine. :D

Big Rob :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mrfq340 said:
It is the ultimate Evo out of the box, other Evos might be tuned to a higher degree, in the same way that you could tune an M3 to a higher spec than a CSL, but the CSL still wears the badge.!

The 400 is the Icon and wears the badge and has all the associated Kudos..(top gear..etc).. and amongst Evo owners, is the one to compare against..
Yeah exactly, when I ordered the car it was still being called the VFQ, I wanted that badge on the back :D

Cheers for some good reasons to keep the car, I feel a lot more calm now, gonna just wait for mitsi to call me and take it one step at a time!

I compare my car to a fq400 and mine is probably quicker on a track. ;) .. I wouldn't give a ****, how quick a tuned 260 or IX GT would be compared to mine. :D
Bring it :p
actually I'm going down to bedford autodrome on the 23rd, if they fix the damn car in time!

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
mrfq340 said:
Ben

How many other tuned Evo threads get as much attention.. every fq400 thread I've seen gets the most posts and comparisons.. who would wanna compare their car to a tuned 260 or tuned IX GT.. who would give a ****..?

Big Rob :D
Fair enough, if that's the way you see it. I see it a bit differently as I will be comparing my car to the "best that is possible" not the "best that is possible from CCC".

I do see your point though, I guess it's just about what interests you.

Ben

1 - 20 of 82 Posts