Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Are you getting soft/spongy pedal? Which brake fluid do you have? Ti shims can help improve fluid boil but if its decent fluid and kept fresh it can usually handle a fair bit

Ian

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yer it's on my rally car it's ok for a while then start to get soft pedal. Have bin using comma dot 5.1 but am going to change it to motul rbf 600
Was going to try these shims as well ?

·
acting daft since 1969
19,575 Posts
dont use 5.1 its designed to run with ABS braking systems, use dot 4 i used it on the old rally car ,but depending on what kind of heat im getting in the brakes i push through the fluid every other stage
im going to use CASTROL SRF in the new rally car as ive only heard good things YES its properly expensive ,but often things liek that are reassuringly expensive
i dont run any shims or copper slip ,just clean pistons and pads

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
dont use 5.1 its designed to run with ABS braking systems, use dot 4 i used it on the old rally car ,but depending on what kind of heat im getting in the brakes i push through the fluid every other stage
im going to use CASTROL SRF in the new rally car as ive only heard good things YES its properly expensive ,but often things liek that are reassuringly expensive
i dont run any shims or copper slip ,just clean pistons and pads
No fluid is specific to ABS systems really and Dot3, Dot4 and Dot 5.1 can all be used in ABS or Non ABS system :confused: maybe your thinking of Dot5 which is a silicone fluid and must NOT be used in ABS systems. Editted to add: seems dot5.1 due to its low viscosity is recommended by some manufacturers with ABS, apologies didnt realise that :blush:

Many get hung up on using dot5.1 as they think its better than dot4 etc, and sure the base/budget spec dot 5.1 like comma etc will have a higher boiling point wet and dry than base spec Dot4, however these are nothing like as good as a proper racing spec Dot4 like the motul RBF series, or even better Castrol SRF, these all offer much higher dry boiling points (when brand new) and even more important for most higher Wet boiling points (these fluids start to absorb moisure as soon as taken out of sealed bottles, hence wet boiling point being so important) especially SRF which has a very impressive wet boiling point :D

HTH

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have bought the shims now will try them but will definitely be changing my fluid
To motul rbf 600 and give that a go. Super rover what brakes do you use pads/disc / calliper set up? On your rally car . ?

·
acting daft since 1969
19,575 Posts
Have bought the shims now will try them but will definitely be changing my fluid
To motul rbf 600 and give that a go. Super rover what brakes do you use pads/disc / calliper set up? On your rally car . ?
i used standard reds all round with godspeed 2 piece front disc ,standrd rears and DS3000 pads all round on the 6
ive now got the 7 which had alcon 6 pots with 365 m front dicks ,,still standard reds in the rear with standard discs again i will run DS3000 all round ,i did use carbotech XP10s all round when i had a servo ,but i felt i lacked feel when i went servo less so i used DS3000s which felt better
the old cars brakes where superb ,but that car was super light ,i suspect the 7 to be similar as its quite a bit heavier than the old car being all but GPN

Hope this helps :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Castrol SRF every day in a competition car. It's what I used to use in my rally cars after I boiled some fluid once and never had a problem again. Always a rock solid pedal...

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the true shelf life of Castrol SRF in totally sealed container? I have two of these and would be happy to sell for a modest sum if they are still fit for purpose.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think there is a date stamped on the bottle then it's 3 years from that date
I think was on the other fluid I had . Best check on the Castro website. Could be interested
In taking them off your hands

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the true shelf life of Castrol SRF in totally sealed container? I have two of these and would be happy to sell for a modest sum if they are still fit for purpose.
Funnily enough this is something ive been trying to get a definitive answer on recently for another brand but have had no luck as yet!....in theory if its still in sealed bottle it should be good until opened, however some guidelines say 2 or 3 years but they are only guidelines and of course manufactures will want to sell you a new bottle rather than tell you its ok so hard to find out for sure, I would have no issues after 2 years if unopened myself.

I found one data sheet that said a process involving nitrogen was used when filling bottles to increase shelf life, but no details on this shelf life :wallbang:

Just to add I found below on the Castrol SRF data sheet (link to source http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5459A447C157530080257C0700407627/$File/BPXE-9CPEPF.pdf )

Storage
Castrol React SRF Racing has a shelf life of 2 years. All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable
drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and damage to drum markings. Products should not be stored above
60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions.
Ian

·
Phil
11,023 Posts
Think there is a date stamped on the bottle then it's 3 years from that date
I think was on the other fluid I had . Best check on the Castro website. Could be interested
In taking them off your hands
Both of my 1ltr tubs are dated 2009, but are totally unmolested from initial purchase. I can fully understand why someone might be wary about using such old fluid, although I wouldn't mind betting that loads of car are running around quite happily with fluid in them that's much older.

You're welcome to have them for the cost of my postage:)

·
acting daft since 1969
19,575 Posts
im amazed its only got 2 years shelf life ,once opened i can see it but in a sealed bottle ,hows that work
crumbs i bought some a few weeks ago by the time its used it will be 1/4 the way out of date

1 - 17 of 17 Posts