Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`ve had my Evo IV for about three weeks now and obviously I`ve been reading up about technical things etc. I don`t really intend to modify it for extra performance as it is quite fast enough for my needs...( If I want to go really quick I get the bike out! )....However, reading a lot of the posts here and elswhere it appears that the Evo is, in general, a delicate and fickle beast that needs a lot of TLC for it to perform as normally without something horrible going wrong!...My AYC light is on...Haven`t got a clue how to go about fixing it but the car seems to perform and handle far better than anything else I`ve ever had so I`m wondering if this is one of those little gremlins that can be ignored? The service interval seems excessive if one is just using the car as a "normal" mode of transport and the cost of even an oil change is nearly as expensive as a top-end overhaul in my factory-engined 7RR so I guess what I`m asking is what exactly have I let myself in for?...I love the car...It is a nearly mint example and driving it is a real hoot but I have a feeling that, if Evos are as delicate as they appear to be then it`s going to cost me a lot of cash!.....Any thought would be very welcome!

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
Evos appear delicate when you read this site because people only tend to post when they have problems. If a car is running fine without any problems at all then they won't post just to say that it is.

Evo's aren't particularly delicate and can withstand a lot of abuse and tuning compared to other cars.

However, going from your comments re servicing then I think you probably haven't done enough research before buying the car. They do need servicing regularly.... that is what makes them fairly bulletproof and reliable. My Evo did 86,000 miles in 3 1/2 years and was serviced every 4,500 miles. It cost a lot to start with because I paid a dealer to do the work but then started doing it myself and it became a lot cheaper.

AYC light needs sorting out before you potentially knacker your rear diff at a cost of approx. £4k (ish) Use the search facility on the forum and you'll find lots of info about the potential causes for the AYC light coming on.

Andy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Andy....I must admit I did think that the servicing would be a little less frequent...i.e. every 8000 miles but 4500 is as bad as the bike ...Still..I don`t want anyone to think I`m complaining...just a bit shocked....
Oh and thanx for the AYC advice!

·
Registered
7,392 Posts
delzx7r said:
Thanx Andy....I must admit I did think that the servicing would be a little less frequent...i.e. every 8000 miles but 4500 is as bad as the bike ...Still..I don`t want anyone to think I`m complaining...just a bit shocked....
Oh and thanx for the AYC advice!
You only really need to bleed the AYC and change the oil & filter every 4500 miles though, it needn't cost the earth if you can do the oil yourself. The plugs, fuel & air filters etc. can be done every second or third service, depending on what you use and how paranoid you are :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.