Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a E6 and I find that after I run the car for about 15mins,then I stop on a traffic light and off gear,and when I back to first gear,there is something seen crash inside the gearbox and make a noise like kick ,but if I put in other gear such as gear 2 not gear 1 it wouldn't happen.I have no idea what happen,can anyone help me on this?:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparantley its nothing to do wth gearbox, but with slack in the prop shaft with the rear diff. Dont think anything can be done apart from reaplacing with new prop. Mines done it for the last 2 year (since ive had it) the car is nearly 10 years old. wouldnt worry unless it gets worse.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Al, surely any slop in the prop is down to wear in the joints at each end. Or the centre Bush.
On the Evo (I presume the setup is similar on the 1.8T) the prop is in two half, attached to the front transfer box by a hardy spicer (UJ) then it has a mounting in the centre which is a strange bonded bush/bearinh housing/bracket combo where one half of the prop joins into a second half. The other half of the prop then joins to the rear diff via another UJ.
usually any clonk/slop is down to the UJ's being worn. usually cheap to replace.

I've discovered this as I've traced my vibration down to the centre prop bush which appears to have worn. I'm getting it replaced tomorrow. I'll see how that goes.

If you want, I've know got the parts diagram of the prop, etc for the Evo1/2/3 - might be usefull. Or are more faults just to shocking to comprehend (I know I'm starting to look menacingly at the Autotrader)

TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What virbration, does it occur when you acclerate hard, cause I have that vibriation from the back end of the car.
What gets me is that th car is so senestive to wheel balancing, I have to put the wheel on putting copper grease between the wheel and the brake thing (techical as ever). Stops alot of virbaration, but not all of it.
In relation to the prop shaft thing that was only what i saw said on here, sorry if it was wrong, just trying mi best.
How much does it cost to change the UJ? cause mine needs doing as well, please could you send me the diagram.
My car is nearly 10 years old (LOL) so its bound to be getting problems. I know what you mean just waiting fo the next thing to replaced or repaired. But its not that bad, going to cross my fingers when we go on the rolling road, will go for a long walk. Having to sort out the dodgy HKS filter tonight. Love to replace it with and Apexi, may have to wait to christmas.
Cheers
Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It just vibrates the whole car at certain revs. With the car on a ramp, and if I sit on 4000rpm I can hear and feel it vibrating. If someone else moves the prop (which is shielded so its easy to do) then lifting it slightly cures the vibration and leaving it makes it vibrate. Its not the prop turning that is vibrating but harmonics from the engine revs goign down through the transfer box and into the prop. Becuase this bush is weak and the prop is joined at that point - it appears ot be making it vibrate. Once the bush is fixed and the prop is mounted more solidly again. I'm hoping (please God) the vibration will go away. Unfortunalty, as you mentioned ages ago the front exhaust heat shilld has broken and is vibrating madly now. So thats coming off to be rpelaced at the same time.
Rolling road day - I think I'll push the rollers along - might be safer :(

I've just spied a 22k mile 93 Evo for sale at less than 5 grand localy. I wonder if I could get a swap ?

TC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tony,
Are you getting this vibration up to a certain speed or at a certain RPM in all gears?.
A clunk would point to excessive backlash in the rear diff or transfer box.
I've had the centre bearing sieze on my car resulting in the propshaft turning with a fixed angle and nearly destroying the exhaust and hitting to transmission tunnel, Luckily when i got the complete Evo drivetrain i could replace everything ( Gearbox, all shafts, transfer and rear diff).
Anyway i'd just like to know if this vibration of yours has started only since you got the new box fitted?. If so I'd be very careful:( (i'll let you know why;)).

p.s Any chance of that EvoI,II,III piece you wrote being mailed? or did you forget?:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
22k as in ive been clocked or as in 22k the lollipop lady drives to work. Sounds good if true, doing to keep the old one for parts:) Buy your gearbox of you:);)

Put HKS plugs and the whole car vibrates, not good, but can put up with it for now. Not noticed that type of vibration you mention. Tiff must have caused when he drove it around Castle combe:)
Ta
Al
PS does that mean I carnt get in boot at the rolling road then, and i was so looking foward to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The vibration is at certain revs. Even if I'm stood still. Ie nothing going through the transmission.
It started several hundred miles after I had the work on the drive-train done. I've no clunk (like Al) just the vibration I've described. That prop bush/bearing sounds the same as mine. Like I said if you move the prop in this bush (mine has a lot of movement) then the car is quiet as a mouse. (excepting rattling heatshield)
The vibration is not a teath rattling, cap'n she canna take na more kind

Although I'm intersted (for all the wrong reasons) on what you have to say :(

The E1-3 stuff is with Darin and Dom now, so I'm just waiting for them to say when it is posted, etc...
its being convereted into web friendly PDF etc.
22k yeah, sounds low doesn;t it. I was just going to nosey down and have a peek. Keep the other for spares. LOL. yeah, right.
HKS vibrating spark plugs, blimey ! Must be a new type :)

TC

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aha! Missed this thread...

I too have a worn propshaft centre bush, hopefully getting sorted soon. Any chance of the part numbers you have? I don't get any significant vibration (unless I'm just used to it) though the thing must move about quite a bit (and sap power!) but I can hear it clonk against the bracket that holds the bush when I go over large bumps.

There is no chance of it siezing as you can move the shaft around with your hand about 1 !

I'm hoping that replacing this, the anti-roll bar bushes and one of the droplink bushes that have gone will make the car feel brend new again, It's become rather too crashy of late - not fun at all :(

Going to attempt the induction mod again this weekend!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hare.......

I had exactly teh same problem a while back... a clunking noise from the transmission tunnel which you could also feel when selcting 1st during town driving. It was a real pain in teh butt and amp; offputting but starngely its now completely disappeared and nothing has been done to the car since ????

Maybe get teh gearbox oil changed to something better ? There is a thread on thos problem in eth technical section that I posted about 5 weeks ago now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hare

I also had exactly the same problem, but like Jackal's it just went away (about a year ago). No problems since :)

Daryl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
um,...JacKal I hope the problem will recover by itself,..:( but I think I will change the gearbox oil first to see how's it,hope everything getting better,you know it's hard to find good ppl to repair in here,when I go to find Rally garage,they always said I only work on race car. haha seen they don't want to earn money on road car.And Railart's price in here is really really expensive.Anyway, thanksfor help.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts