Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right then guys I have just had my sheptran stage 2 box give up on me last night so am in the market for a new one ;)
I am guessing I am going to have to go for a dog box/ sequential gearbox
So what do people recommend and why ?
Car will be running around 900+ bhp
Please nothing over 15k lol
Thanks simon

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a fan of the ikeya shifter mate to be fair

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ones I have been looking at so fair
The new quafie full sequential box (1000nm)
Maktrak full sequential box (700nm)
Ppg gearset h pattern (1000bhp)
Need to look more in to Samsonas as seen mixed reviews on it but read somewhere they do a year warranty

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blacky won mlrss with one as did plip in ta;)

be different and go get a holinger? ;)
I wish I had the money lol how reliable has this setup been on there cars !

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I'd like to know how the new quaife sequential has got such a high torque rating compared to the drenth/maktrak/samsonas :)

Gear material? Size? Casing design?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only person I think know about them is Ross so be good to know what he says about that :)

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
A gearbox that's up to 900+HP.... answer is probably there isn't one! That will do it reliably anyway?!

Unfortunately now your at that level where your chasing broken parts with that kind of horsepower! You use the car a hell of a lot too!!

Dogbox and day to day driving unfortunately doesn't go to well I know as I do it and I don't drive mine all the time!
A dogbox isn't fit and forget unfortunately!

I don't know alot about gearboxes I'm just going from personal experience!
Take a Drenth for instance (I'm not picking on a box here but the only box I know somebody else to use) don't they want there boxes pulled apart every 1000 miles for inspection?! It's never ending!

But I know you and I know you won't give up!! Looking forward to see what you go for and to go out for a ride in it!! :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heard a couple things about Drenth that has put me off so drenth is a def no

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you will hear good and bad in any thing.

ive used most in your list and ill still stick with drenth
Please tell more mate what boxes and what problem ?
Drenth I have heard micro pitting on the output shaft and final drive costing around 2k to replace

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I've had the Samsonas box in for almost 2 full seasons at 800hp and then 900hp last year and in all that time it's been pulled apart for inspection once with almost negligible wear found. It has handled full-on launches on Avon super soft hillclimb slicks, between 8 and 14 launches per weekend with no issues. I use the Drenth sequential shift on the H pattern box, much better than the Ikeya, more positive and quicker shift.

I have to admit Samsonas have made a great gearbox, i can't fault it and they are sensible money. :smthumbup

There's horror stories about every brand of dogbox on the forum TBH. I'm going by personal experience. Samsonas were the only manufacturer when asked if they reckoned the box would take regular 900hp said 'no problem'.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Please tell more mate what boxes and what problem ?
Drenth I have heard micro pitting on the output shaft and final drive costing around 2k to replace
That's down to the gearbox casing flexing and will happen with any box taking that much power IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
I've had a few dog boxes now.

Samsonas brand new failed !!

Drenth with ikea shifter no problems and was still ok 1 year after I sold it.

Drenth fully sequential cost £12k failed after a few miles wrote the whole box off also brad had issues with his a couple of times.

Replaced it with another drenth sequential as I know they are a good box and well proven just thought I must of had a bad 1,

The new box Ross is selling sounds very good, but if it was my cash it would have to go with the company that offers warranty which is samsonas atm as losing a 12k set up within a few miles isn't good !!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts