Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently fitted a HKS GDMAX (twin plate) clutch to my EVO6 Tommi Mak. It's not a major problem since the car pulls much better off the line after fitting this clutch.
I know twin plate clutchs tend to make a rattle when the clutch pedal is pushed down. I was told this is normal. My question is this: Do twin plates make a noise/whine when the car is in gear (either 3rd or 4th), say on the motorway, but the throttle is completely off. When the throttle is pushed the noise is gone. I also tried putting the gear into neutral when i hear the noise and again it disappears!
I took my car back to the garage that install the clutch and they told me this was normal. They said other drivers also reported this same problem. I'm not convinced!
So can any twin plate EVO owners here try putting their car in gear (3rd or 4th) on a straight road (40mph|PLS|) and just take your foot off the throttle. Try to listen little for an annoying rattle/whine...........Thank you very much!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had something very similar to this, but with 5th gear.

When my twin plate was removed sound disappeared, since then someone advised it may have been something as simple as the release bearing.

Its a small price to pay for a great clutch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
evo6tm,

Also got HKS twin plate, and checked last night - apart from the rattle when the clutch pedal is pushed down, there's no sound when in gear and the throttle is is completely off.

Hope this helps,

Gaz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gaz,

I got a feeling the garage who fitted the clutch was trying to brush me off!

Be good to hear from a few more twin plate users on here...........Come on guys! You know who you are!

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed this problem alot,and it seems to be caused by the tension of the springs within the clutch plate.It only seems to be uprated clutches (twin or single plate) that cause the noise on deceleration,the uprated springs within them have less of a damping effect and when you come off thottle this can cause the gearbox to chatter.This of course will not apply to every car,depends on age, miles, lubricant etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have noticed this problem alot,and it seems to be caused by the tension of the springs within the clutch plate.It only seems to be uprated clutches (twin or single plate) that cause the noise on deceleration,the uprated springs within them have less of a damping effect and when you come off thottle this can cause the gearbox to chatter.This of course will not apply to every car,depends on age, miles, lubricant etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi evo6tm, i have recently uprated to an exedy single paddle clutch. after which i seem to be encountering the same problem u are having. when i took my car out of the shop my gearbox started making a whining noise when im off throttle in any gear, seems to be louder in 3rd and 4th gear even when the car is in neutral and revved. but when in neutral and the clutch pedal is pressed the whinning sound wud disappear wen revved. did not have this problem wen i was using the stock clutch. though i did have the flywheel resurfaced. so i am not sure if the clutch is the probelm or the flywheel.

·
Registered
387 Posts
very interesting!!!

I must say, you've hit on a topic that has been stumping me of late.

1st off, I do have a twinplate clutch (Cusco) fitted, and apart from the rattling when the clutch pedal is depressed, I have not experienced the off-throttle noise you mention.

However, I have several mates you have encountered this, but under different conditions and with varying degrees of severity.

One guy has a very very loud vibration when coming off the throttle and "coasting down" say in 3rd gear or 4th gear. He has a twinplate clutch, and some people have said it is the transfer case, but I'm not sure, because the sound seems to disappear when you step on the clutch pedal.

Another friend has just fitted an uprated (but not twinplate) clutch. A similar sound (not as loud though) has appeared since then. It has been suggested it is down to a warped flywheel, but again, I'm not sure.

I would like to know if these similar symptoms are just caused by a worn or improperly fitted release bearing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow!

Did not expect this thread to be alive after all this time!

Last week took out my HKS GD MAX twin plate. It was not slipping, but the clutch did not engage until the very top of the pedal travel. I had to lower the pedal to about 3 inches off the floor! I knew the plates were wearing out so better take it out before it damages the flywheel. I think there's a kit to replace the plates.

While I'm hunting for the replacement places. My EVO has the Helix full face organic and Cusco light flywheel (4.1KG)......I've heard much about this Helix clutch - just want to see what all the fuss is about.

With the HKS GD MAX installed my 0-60 time dropped a full second (5 secs average)!

With the Helix.........well..........haven't tried any launches yet - still bedding in, but it's really easy to drive in traffic and there's no noise!! Yippeeee!!

Once I get my plates for the HKS I'll start launches with the Helix to see how fast I can kill it. *grin*

simon

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.