Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i currently have a civic type r and am looking to sell it and get an evo (my dream car)!! hoping for a 7 or 8....i was just wondering if ppl could fill me in with the gearbox issues...i've heard various rumours of the gearboxes being weak...and which is weaker the 5sp or 6sp and is it easy to find parts to strengthen the gearboxes? how much do gearboxes go for? thanks guys!! all input valued!

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
The 6 speed is weaker than the 5 speed, but if you are running a standard evo 320/340/360 etc i dont think you will have any issues.;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Y is the 6sp weaker? is it the actual gearbox that is weaker or just the clutch...my plan is to get an FQ300 or 320 and just tune to about 375bhp and 350ft/lbs....can it handle that?

·
Premium Member
10,457 Posts
They are the same gear box, the 6 speed with a extra gear which weakens the box, some 1 will let you exactly why, but running the figures above you would have no problems with the 6 speed anyway.

·
Registered
241 Posts
the only problem i had on my seven is my 3rd sync went at 60000 but rich at rg motorsport sorted that out and was a lot lot cheaper than another gearbox but would not let that stop u getting an evo mate i do not think it a common fault yes the gearbox is a bit stiff when cold but thats does not way up the fun and how good the car is second hand ones on hear go for about 500 to 600 depending

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so that isnt much more than a type r gearbox...not bad...wot r main bad points to look out for wen buying one? and are the running costs really extortionate?

·
Registered
241 Posts
what i do mate is have a look on this site at the for sales on hear as there always good ones and people no the history about them or if u find one some were else ask on hear as some one will no the car mate they are not cheap to run but would not cool it a killer but it depends on millage you do and if u get the mod bug than it does change a lot into a killer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts