Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again guys...Im still looking for an EVO 6...(Had to put things on hold for a while)....I know,There is a gearbox problem(Output shaft bearing torque)...But i`m a little off-put by the amounts of rear diffs that have let go.....???????.
Can you guys please enlighten me on this issue....I thought these were pretty much bullet proof....??????

Thank You...Kev.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well mine has let go, but in general I dont think they're usually a problem.

Depends I guess on two things, how much power you intend to run and how the car is driven.

If you're going to up the power significantly or spend lots of time trying to slide the car around then it's going to take more of a bashing. That said, a lack of mechanical sympathy is more than likely even worse than this (eg Launching the car, racing gear changes).

Like I said, although there's been a few broken, it's not necessarily a problem. Besides, no-one posts up and says "Hey my diff hasn't broken yet!"

And if it does, then you can replace it with a later model (from the VII's / VIII's) which have a bigger bearing I believe and slightly stronger casing. There's a few people running these running in excess of 400hp / lbft so they seem to solve any problem! :D

If you're overly worried about any significant problems then you'd better make sure you got some pennies in the bank! In general though a looked after / well maintained evo is pretty much bullet proof when you consider the performance you are getting from it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You for replying BARRY....I take on-board your comments...And,this has shed more light on the possable failure`s...I`m glad its not one of thoes "Common" failings on rather standard / modestly tuned examples....Is the "FIX" an expensive one please....?????
Thank You...Kev.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
You can pick up a reconditioned 6 GSR (AYC) diff for around £800

The other popular replacement is the RS differential. This isnt a straight swap though and requires driveshafts and moutings to be changed etc.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Ive got noises from mine at the moment but as I have no intention of running enough power to trouble the GSR diff casing Im just going to replace the internals with (probably) Cusco items.

This is working out to about £1000 for each end rather than £2500 for a new GSR rear alone!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well in terms of cost, I got an AYC unit from a low mileage VII, costing £1000 + VAT. I fitted it myself, it's about 4 hours work I reckon with the right facilities. See my write up here

You can replace the internals of the GSR diff I believe although there is still some debate about the casing itself being up to the job. Not sure how true that is.

You can alternatively change to an RS setup, but its expensive, not only do you need the diff, but driveshafts, propshaft (or mod your own), and the diff carriers. But if you go this route you can ditch the AYC pump as well and along with the diff this will save you a fair few kg's. This change isn't really necessary though I think for modest performance increases.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much guys for your replies once again.....Not a cheap job to replace the diff/diffs...Which ever way its put then.....I must take this into consideration on my purchase..When the right vehicle comes up.....Thank You...Kev.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My GSR diff lasted pretty well, did 5k track miles and 25k on the road.

Most of that with 350bhp, upped the power and outed the diff :( bought a 2nd hand VII unit from Nick @ NR ( thanx ) and all is well. Still OK with 500+ fingers crossed.

Kev

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
T27... said:
My GSR diff lasted pretty well, did 5k track miles and 25k on the road.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I dont recall seeing the diff on the 30000 mile service ;)

Glad to see it's holding up well with that much power though :)

·
Premium Member
14,884 Posts
kev hamlinton said:
Thanks BARDEL....For some reason i`m unable/disallowed to read your feature post....Kev.
The thread is within the "Technical Archive" section which is available to members.

Details of how to become a member can be found here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts