Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So gauges, whats the big deal :crackup:

Honestly I think they look good, and would love to get some in my 5 to add the the astetics, but what real benifit do they provide?

How many types of gages can you get.

And more importantly, if you could get three, and only three, what would you get :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Actually I lied, i`ve got a boost gauge in my 6. Its important for me to see whats happening and making sure im not over boosting or even running too little boost, indicating a fault somewhere along the line.

·
Gav
7,579 Posts
I've only ever ran the 2 gauges. Oil temp, so you know when you can give it some loud pedal

Boost pressure, obvious really. Can show up problems when reading low

Some will say oil pressure but when this reads zero your engine is already goosed :D

Theres loads you can get but then your dash will look more like a cockpit :D

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
all depends on how highly tuned the car is
the further you push things the better it is to monitor stuff
boost
fuel pressure
oil temp
oil pressure
air charge temp
fuel ratio

had all these in my evo 1 i know you cant watch them all but handy to data log etc and check back after runs etc

on a everyday car boost and oil pressure is handy to have

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Personally I think it is best to monitor as much as possible.

However, rather than have loads of gauges everywhere I would rather a digital dash like a Stack or PI System that only displays parameters when they are outside limits that you can program yourself.

Expensive though.

I like the Defi Sports Cluster but I think it is only available in Japan.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think for most standard or lightly modded cars oil temp and boost are all you need.

Oil temp tells you when it is hot enough to give it some boost and boost helps you to keep off boost while you are waiting for it to warm up and also gives you an indication if there are problems (low boost readings).

I still think that one or both of these should come as standard intergated neatly on the dash somewhere on any turbo charged car.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
where do i get an oil pressure sender from ? ive got the ralliart guages in my car but they've never been wired up.

just a side thought - make sure you put things like boost guage eher you can see them and the road at the same time. you dont wanna be looking at the floor on full boost!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I like the idea of getting some gauges to keep an eye on things.

I want matching:
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Boost
gauges fitted into an A-pillar pod by a pro.

I know some of you have these gauges already, even if not in the A-pillar. So does anyone know how much would that cost, all in?

Cheers

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Hi Mad7boy

I'll be getting Mark @ MAD to fit my A-pillar trim and fit a oil temp gauge and move my existing boodt gauge to the A-pillar.

If you are wanting more than 2 gauges you'll have to put some of the gauges in places other than the A-pillar since for RHD evo's you can;t get more than 2 pod holders on an A-pillar trim.

Gauge wise prices vary a lot but I would recommend Defi BF gauges and the Defi-Link system since the Amber gauges match the evo instrumentation amber quite nicely... and they have nice features such as recording data and also peak displays... as well as visual and audible alarms ... so you could for example set it up so that when oil temp gets to 120C it beeps and a LED lights up

As other people have said a boost gauge is a must so you know if you have any boost related issues.... and for piece of mind I'm getting an oil temp gauge so you know when the oil is warmed up (yes Nathan/Steve/Nick I know I never go fast enough to worry about cold oil :p )

When I was considering getting more gauges I thought about EGR temp but after talking to a few people it seems that I wouldn't need this since the tuner I would be using for mods should be able to do all the testing to make sure I am not running too lean.... so the only other useful gauge which I could see would be Oil Pressure which I see you are considering ... but since there isn't a place that springs to mind ... other than say in the DIN slot under the stereo ... I've decided to stop with just 2 gauges (boost and oil temp)

Other "common" gauges are fuel pressure and oil pressure but maybe other people would be able to comment on these since my understanding is that these would be more suited to race prep / track cars ?

Let me know if you need any more info ... or if you're at the next Reading jap car meet you can look at the gauges in my Evo or some of the other people who have gauges.... I know two red 8's in Reading which have gauges inside.

rgds

Raj

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.