Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im looking at Apexu Indiglo gauges. Whats the difference bettwen mechanical gauges and electronic gauges?
The only diff I can see is a huge difference in price.

Help me out here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mechanical boost gauges mean a vacuum/boost tube running right into the cabin, electronic gauges have a sender which sends a signal via a wire to the gauge.

Mechanical ones can be less accurate but they are, as you have found out, a lot cheaper. Electronic gauges are more complicated (but easier to fit), the tradeoff is (apparently) increased accuracy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evil,

The electronic gauges come in two parts usually - there is a sender unit that needs to be connected to the engine and this is then purely wired electronically up to the gauge. The mechanical gauges are connected physically to what they are measuring ie a boost gauge will have a hose running to the gauge from the intake manifold or an oil pressure gauge will have fine copper tubing that you need to run between the gauge and the oil rifle.

I hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Chunky. What would you recommend in this case then. I want to get 2 gauges pillar mounted. Im in New Zealand
and the mechanical boost is 299.00 and electrical is 650.00. So yes a huge difference.......... Do you have mechanical gauges ???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha opps , thanks both of you. What do you recommend ......... its over double the price for electronic stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boost and Oil Pressure are the ones im after. Boost definatly but any other one would be fine to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fitting a mechanical boost gauge is a doddle as the pipe can be routed almost as easily as an electrical cable. As for the oil pressure gauge, I'd pay the extra for the electrical one. It will be much easier to fit than routing all the copper tube for the mechanical version.

I presume they will supply a mechanical and electrical gauge together?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are separate. A oil Pressure gauge here (electronic) is 868.00 NZ Apexi. Boost Electonic is 478.00 and Boost Mechanical is 299.00. Big Differences huh? They arent in a package deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered a tailor made turbo gauge to fit in one of the ventilation holes of my Evo VI TME.

I did not like the ones I saw in catalogues, as they were too tiny and sometimes had an absurd scale.

Mine fits perfectly in the larger of the 2 holes, so position is much better than the ones that fit under the radio. I chose a -1.0 to |PLS|1.5 bar scale and a diameter around 65mm (2.6 inches) to fit in the hole, so it's quite clear to see, thanks as well to the white background.

It actually looks a bit 'industrial', but it gives the car a nice racing touch too.

Price? Around Pts 6,000 (That's six thousand Pesetas, roughly 22 pounds).

As I have mentioned in previous posts, the car is in Spain but I live in the U.S. Anyway, I'll be in Madrid this coming weekend enjoying the car. If anyone has interest in seeing the gauge I'll take a picture and post it when I get back next week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts