Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know their way around near Gatwick airport? I need somewhere near the airport to park the wife's car and another car, ideally within a 20 minute taxi ride to the airport? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
there's a couple companies in area that do parking, one i know is APH Gatwick, an i believe they do a shuttle bus.

i think anywhere around horley/charlwood/crawley is withing 10 mins to gatwick in taxi.

are you looking for a sideroad to just park up? or a genuine car park place that's reasonably priced?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Anywhere except NCP at the airport! I see APH a lot, they seem reputable. I often wonder how many people leave there cars with these sorts of companies thinking they are securely stored but in reality are parked in a field!

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
used APH lots of times, seem ok and never had an issue

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking maybe just a street with no parking restrictions in a good area where they won't be in the way, I've looked into airport parking before and it's expensive to park within walking distance. I've also watched programmes where they park your car down the back of a dodgy industrial estate or drive your car around for 2 weeks!

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
you find a street close to Gatwick:crackup:. APH are a good company and no issues, just record the mileage on your phone with a date and if an issue take it up with them

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
OR you could use the train to Gatwick Airport station right at the airport. It's what I and others do when flying from there now.

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
OR you could use the train to Gatwick Airport station right at the airport. It's what I and others do when flying from there now.
Do the trains run 24 hours? Cos they don't at the DRM airport.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Do the trains run 24 hours? Cos they don't at the DRM airport.
You would need to check the timetables.
I would expect the Gatwick Express out of London Victoria to run when the planes are flying :handsup: We are talking main International London Airport here, like Heathrow.

Anyway I try an avoid flights at unsociable hours when I can.

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
We are talking main International London Airport here, like Heathrow.

Anyway I try an avoid flights at unsociable hours when I can.
So is Manchester but the trains stop at 11pm and start again at about 6am.
From about a 30 mile radius of the airport the earliest flight you can depart on if using the train is 10-30am and that's pushing it.
It's rubbish.
In fact i bet the airport stops the trains from coming so they can make you use the car and get fleeced by their parking charges. The taxi companies will be in on it as well. Wan**rs. Conspiracy theory rant over.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Not sure the GTW express runs all night but Southern (when not on strike) run till late and I think have a train once an hour from midnight ish until 0430, I'm not allowed to stay out that late.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't fancy relying on a train as the return flight lands at about 03:00 so I need to find some street parking locally or someone or rents their driveways

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I don't fancy relying on a train as the return flight lands at about 03:00 so I need to find some street parking locally or someone or rents their driveways
I wouldn't recommend trying to find a "quiet" street nearby- parking for residents is a pain at the best of times near Gatwick. I'm sure there is a website where people offer use of their driveways for people on holiday- I know my parents have signed up and done it as they're literally 5 mins from the airport. I'll have to dig out name of it for you as I can't remember it if you can't find something online :)

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
That sounds like a good idea. I get what the OP is asking anyway, doesn't want the car in a field after paying for it. So wants options for decent off site parking that doesn't rip you off financially.

Just don't dump your car outside someone's house for 2 weeks as you go on hols. You know it's morally wrong and wouldn't like it done to you. :handsup:

It's like I've been places in a car to away footie matches and parked in 'nice' residential areas where local kids will ask for £5 to look after the car (not Evo) either pay them or move along. :handsup:

Parking for half a day to go shopping is OK, parking for weeks isn't really on.

Either that or have you priced up an airport taxi from home/return?

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That sounds like a good idea. I get what the OP is asking anyway, doesn't want the car in a field after paying for it. So wants options for decent off site parking that doesn't rip you off financially.

Just don't dump your car outside someone's house for 2 weeks as you go on hols. You know it's morally wrong and wouldn't like it done to you. :handsup:

It's like I've been places in a car to away footie matches and parked in 'nice' residential areas where local kids will ask for £5 to look after the car (not Evo) either pay them or move along. :handsup:

Parking for half a day to go shopping is OK, parking for weeks isn't really on.

Either that or have you priced up an airport taxi from home/return?
Yeah I don't want to just dump it anywhere or blocking someone's drive that's why I'm looking into it, I've priced up a minibus and it's £220 each way! So worth a bit of research I think

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Yeah I don't want to just dump it anywhere or blocking someone's drive that's why I'm looking into it, I've priced up a minibus and it's £220 each way! So worth a bit of research I think
How about you hire a Minibus/big car from someone like AVIS then drop it off at the Airport then arrange to hire a similar vehicle to home? Saves Parking anything!

Maybe price that up.

Done that loads of times for business too.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
http://www.premierparkinggatwick.co.uk/

Im affiliated with these guys and can vouch for their professionalism.

They offer a go pro service so all of the cars movements are video'd and given to the owner on their return ( or via email) along with valeting/detailing and car cover options..

Mention I recommended you or let me know if you book with them and i'll get you a discount on their valet..

cheers Jamie

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
£220?
Where are you coming from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts