Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know much about gaming laptops?

I've got an old Rock pegasus 665 at the moment (had it for over 3 years now) and thinking it's time for a change, current spec is..

T7200 2.0ghz, 997mhz
2g ram
Nvidia 8600M GS

I'm after something significantly better (I know it won't be hard) but I'm useless with all the tech spec (I just copied the above off my computer)

Trouble is with laptops the prices are unreal for gaming ones.

I specced up an Alienware on the dell website and it was £1300, could get the same spec in pc for probably half that.

I also want 15.4" screen as I had a 17" gaming latop once and it was so big and heavy (I do like to use my laptop every day not just for gaming) as they are so much beefier than 'normal' laptops.

I've seen an ASUS from usa which is a pretty good spec with GTX 260 graphics and dual 2.8ghz http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASUS-G51Vx-RX...iewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item439cabcf8c and the importing looks good avoiding taxes etc.

But the alienware one I specced was quad core i7 1.6ghz (not that I know what it means)

Anyone offer some help, lets say around a grand (or there abouts)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
read the add james it states the buyer is responsible for taxes and custom charges/import duty

·
Premium Member
16,921 Posts
Gaming spec laptops are always very expensive and not usually as good as same spec desktop in the longterm, can you not get a normal desktop pc ? you can get a very good system for your budget if going down desktop route :)

Ive used www.overclockers.co.uk quite a bit and always found there stuff pretty good and well priced usually :)

Ian

·
Registered
526 Posts
But the alienware one I specced was quad core i7 1.6ghz (not that I know what it means)

Anyone offer some help, lets say around a grand (or there abouts)
hey mate, the quad core i7 720qm is in ideal mode at 1.6, if you start a game or use is it the cpu will go up to 2.8 ghz ! :smthumbup
it is just a save mode for 2d using.
my mate got an alienware and he is pretty happy with it :thumbup:
would take an i7 cpu with a nice nvidia gpu :D

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
read the add james it states the buyer is responsible for taxes and custom charges/import duty
Yeah, I'm aware of that but he also states further down that he can avoid them (it's not usually a problem with things form the us I've bought) My main concern would be something not being compatable or warranty issues etc so probably not worth saving a few quid.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gaming spec laptops are always very expensive and not usually as good as same spec desktop in the longterm, can you not get a normal desktop pc ? you can get a very good system for your budget if going down desktop route :)

Ive used www.overclockers.co.uk quite a bit and always found there stuff pretty good and well priced usually :)

Ian
Hi Ian, I have a desktop with a reasonable (lot better than my lappy) setup but I just love using the laptop, I updated my desktop for gaming and can honestly say I've not used it since. I use my laptop all the time and used to live on BF2 and just started on cod mw2. I just love sitting on the sofa with the laptop on my lap and my headphones on, just feel a lot more comfortable plus I can take it over the inlaws and hook up with bro-in law on wifi for cod etc.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
Have you tried to google it mate? It all depends on what type of games you play. PS3 is much cheaper option.:smthumbup

Anyway, Alienware stuff is amazing and extortionate. Dell is just extortionate. Combine the two and guess what? You have extortion.

As stated before, Laptops are generally more expensive especially in terms of power. General rule of thumb is the smaller the tech, the bigger the price. Just try updating hardware on a laptop and you'll see.

Only you know what you need but try this link:

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/ OR

http://whatlaptop.techradar.com/

Mike :smthumbup

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey mate, the quad core i7 720qm is in ideal mode at 1.6, if you start a game or use is it the cpu will go up to 2.8 ghz ! :smthumbup
it is just a save mode for 2d using.
my mate got an alienware and he is pretty happy with it :thumbup:
would take an i7 cpu with a nice nvidia gpu :D
Thanks for the help mate, I'd never heard of i7 until lastnight :handsup:

Is the processor very important with a gaming computer? Or should you focus more on the graphics card itself? Say 2 machines both running gtx 260 graphics and one is dual core 2.16 and one os quad 1.6.. is the quad going to improve the gaming experience?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried to google it mate? It all depends on what type of games you play. PS3 is much cheaper option.:smthumbup

Anyway, Alienware stuff is amazing and extortionate. Dell is just extortionate. Combine the two and guess what? You have extortion.

As stated before, Laptops are generally more expensive especially in terms of power. General rule of thumb is the smaller the tech, the bigger the price. Just try updating hardware on a laptop and you'll see.

Only you know what you need but try this link:

http://computers.toptenreviews.com/gaming-laptops/ OR

http://whatlaptop.techradar.com/

Mike :smthumbup
Thanks Mike, I have been googling until my eyes hurt.

I did think Alienware was going to be overpriced to be honest as I remember the name from when I bought my Rock years ago and a similar spec to mine was a lot more! But when I checked them out yesterday the 15" machine is actually not a bad price, I found a sort of no name laptop supplier that does gaming and they were the same price as the alienware and weren't quad core (with same gfx card)

I'll check the links.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts

Is the processor very important with a gaming computer? Or should you focus more on the graphics card itself? Say 2 machines both running gtx 260 graphics and one is dual core 2.16 and one os quad 1.6.. is the quad going to improve the gaming experience?
Yes mate. The processor speed is very important too. They wouldn't add them if they weren't needed. Best go for the biggest that you can afford in everything. The better the processor coupled with a great gfx card will mak eall the difference.

Mike:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had a PS3 (on 2 occasions now) and sold up, I really like cod and battlefield type games and I just can't get on with the joystick pad thing for shooting. The PS3 is actually really cheap when you consider the price of computers of similar capability.

·
Registered
526 Posts

hey mate, the I7 is really new and has some great features! but you must understand, the quadcore uses only in idle the 1.6 ghz! if you play or start a programme, it will SWITCH to TURBOMODE! 2.8 ghz!
so imho take the QUAD with a GTX :smthumbup

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
hey mate, the I7 is really new and has some great features! but you must understand, the quadcore uses only in idle the 1.6 ghz! if you play or start a programme, it will SWITCH to TURBOMODE! 2.8 ghz!
so imho take the QUAD with a GTX :smthumbup
i7 is new but in tech terms it's not. Been out a while now.:smthumbup

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, another quick one..

My laptop is (as I said) a Rock 665, aparantly based on the alienware m5500 chassis and has standalone graphics card.

It was repaired a while back (foc from rocks warranty) and they fitted the 8600m gs because the other was not available (was an old 7 series one)

Now, was just wondering if I could fit a better gfx card into my laptop? I had a quick look on ebay and can find a nvidia 9650m GT for £129 delivered.

Comparing mine 8600m gs) and the 9650m gt here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html It looks like a reasonable upgrade?

Or am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
ok, another quick one..

My laptop is (as I said) a Rock 665, aparantly based on the alienware m5500 chassis and has standalone graphics card.

It was repaired a while back (foc from rocks warranty) and they fitted the 8600m gs because the other was not available (was an old 7 series one)

Now, was just wondering if I could fit a better gfx card into my laptop? I had a quick look on ebay and can find a nvidia 9650m GT for £129 delivered.

Comparing mine 8600m gs) and the 9650m gt here http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html It looks like a reasonable upgrade?

Or am I wasting my time?
Having worked with PCs for years I'll be honest and say that gfx cards are my weakest area. There's so many gfx cards now with subtle variations that I find it hard to keep track. :confused: Going by your link, the stats and more importantly, the benchmark score show the 9650m GT to be better BUT, will it be good enough for the games you want to play? Do a little more research mate, based on the games you want/ will want to play.

On a personal level though, I always try and steer away from Nvidia. Their gfx drivers, although improved over the years, have given me countless headaches. Great drivers when they work but in my experience, they are temperamental and take notions depending on what hardware/ software that you have installed. :wallbang: I prefer ATi myself.:smthumbup

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
Thanks to the [email protected] that broke into my house a year ago they got my £2,500 Alienware laptop but left the £150 metal case!

Insurance company tried to give me a toshiba!!!! maaaaa
Mate, if I'd have broken into your house, I'd have nicked that too. :blush::crackup: I love the Alienware stuff. I priced up a desktop last year, with all the upgrades I needed/ wanted to keep it future-proof etc and it came to £6.5k. I can buy a car for that FFS.

Oh! Sorry to hear about the robbery mate. i was only kidding above. No, wait! I wasn't! :D I have to laugh though at insurance companies and their concept of what "like for like" on their policies is. F*****s!!:wallbang:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Will be looking to rebuy in the near future,

Do they still do the face recognition log in? I remember one (not mine) had a finger print scanner- pointless but smooooooooooooth

I really struggled to max that laptop out it could do anything- well almost

Only good thing about getting robbed is that everything in the house is still under warrenty :mhihi:

Cheeky bar-stewards carried a 50" tv over the back gate and up the road in broad daylight!!! builders in next door didn't see anything???? hmmmm

Left my cannon 450d and set of pioneer cdj 1000 and a Djm 909 mixer worth 2700 between them (at the time) maybe they will come back-

They could meet our new rottie and alsatian,

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
Will be looking to rebuy in the near future,

Do they still do the face recognition log in? I remember one (not mine) had a finger print scanner- pointless but smooooooooooooth

I really struggled to max that laptop out it could do anything- well almost

Only good thing about getting robbed is that everything in the house is still under warrenty :mhihi:

Cheeky bar-stewards carried a 50" tv over the back gate and up the road in broad daylight!!! builders in next door didn't see anything???? hmmmm

Left my cannon 450d and set of pioneer cdj 1000 and a Djm 909 mixer worth 2700 between them (at the time) maybe they will come back-

They could meet our new rottie and alsatian,
:confused: Hmmmmm.....didn't see anything, eh? But you know wha they say mate. Best way to hide something is in the open. Nobody would suspect that people carrying a tv up a road in broad daylight were actually nicking it.

I can believe the problems of maxing an Alienware system, they're built to last (in terms of technology). And they look sooooo good. :smthumbup

Did the insurance pay out for the proper value? Saying tha though, Toshiba are such fantastic and durable laptops. Never to the same spec but the Toshiba target audience isn't the same as Alienware.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike, thanks for the help.

I've been doing some more research (and remembering from upgrading my pc) and forgot about power consumption etc. I think I need to keep it same power and can only find a couple of cards with the same power that are better. Also think it needs to be of the correct 'type' which is G84M.. Of the 2 other cards only one I can find for sale is the 8600m GT which is a bit better than my card and pretty sure it'd work but it's nowhere near going to run the latest stuff at more than low settings I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts