Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any prolonged problems with the engine when it is modified by induction and more boost via bleed valve..........can the initial reaction become sluggish....ORis it best just to keep the engine standard thus no worries./Anyone with a 1 to 3 can tell me will be most appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it is fair to say that the induction and exhaust systems on most cars are restrictive in that they need to comply with emmissions and noise regs first, performance second. So it is pretty safe to pick any reputable filter/exhaust combo and enjoy a power gain. Provided your car has an airflow meter, it should adapt the fuelling to the extra air. Exhausts normally increase peak power from reducing back pressure, but be careful - torque loss can occur. Good exhausts will be designed to keep torque levels, and increase power.

It gets a little more complex with a Turbo, as reduction in back pressure can cause the Turbo to spin more freely (resulting in more overboost). Not likely to experience with standard wastegate settings, but I would not recommend tuning a Turbo by modifying the bleed valve - it is cheap and cheerful, but difficult to control in all situations (e.g. overboost). THe only sensible way is ECU mapping on a rolling road and a proper boost controller with a solenoid valve. That way you can properly map fuel/ignition requirements and control the boost accurately - avoiding lean running, detonation and possible engine damage.

So, in summary: Filter|PLS|Exhaust - no real probs at all. Turbo - do it properly - cheap usually means nasty...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Missed part of your question: The car is more responsive after induction/exhaust mods - throttle response improves as part of the induction change, and turbo response improves as backpressure is removed - quicker to spin up. Upping boost really extends the powerband, as it holds the wastegate shut longer to allow the turbo to gain more momentum, and hence spin-up. Therefore the lag in how long it takes to reach peak power increases, as the peak is higher. To reach the same levels of boost as standard takes no longer. It is purely human perception. THe only way you can significantly change the initial off-boost lag is to change the compression ratio (pistons/head gasket) or the turbo itself.

When you see people talk about how a car has no lag , like the Saabs, it is because they are running and amp;lt;1 bar boost - so the wastegate shuts quickly, and you don't get huge compression - also means they are running a higher compression engine, so the off-boost performance is good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like Evoboy has some competition on the technical front now http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Blade, nice reply [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to say it all comes my massive knowledge - actually it is from spending more money getting it wrong than right! Learning the hard way... Don't you just love tuning cars?

I do... Wife and bank manager DON'T!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts