Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying one of these in the very near future. I think i have done my research and it seems to be the daddy in the price range? I have seen it up for £194 plus delivery. Anybody got anything good/bad to say about it and anybody know where it is available stupid cheap (although the 200 quid does seem to be a not bad price?)

Ta much :D

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
It seems to have penchant for putting a somewhat 'purple grain' overlay over black/dark surfaces, slight warping at edges if zoom is fully retracted (ie no zoom) and not very good for capturing moving objects due to the significant delay between you hitting the button and it actually deciding to take the picture. The dithering is not too good either compared to other cameras in the price range. 10x optical zoom is quite fantastic, has good features, iso level is so so, uses XD memory storage, flash is very effective and finally not too good for strobe effect piccies as the exposure delay is quite limited (couple of secs if I remember).

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GlobalGB said:
It seems to have penchant for putting a somewhat 'purple grain' overlay over black/dark surfaces, slight warping at edges if zoom is fully retracted (ie no zoom) and not very good for capturing moving objects due to the significant delay between you hitting the button and it actually deciding to take the picture. The dithering is not too good either compared to other cameras in the price range. 10x optical zoom is quite fantastic, has good features, iso level is so so, uses XD memory storage, flash is very effective and finally not too good for strobe effect piccies as the exposure delay is quite limited (couple of secs if I remember).
Hmm, anything else you would recommend then? I don't particularly like cameras which take 4 days between pressing the shutter button and it going 'click'

10x optical zoom was one of the things which drew me to it but to be honest may be a little OTT and 4-6 times will probably be ample.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have the S5000, which i guess is the slightly older model, but with very similar functions including the massive 10x zoom, this is very good, but only in good light conditions where the shutter speeds can be set quite high to prevent camera shake. Most digital cameras have many more functions than the everyday photographer needs. I would say this camera is a very good buy at £200............ :D

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Weebl said:
Hmm, anything else you would recommend then? I don't particularly like cameras which take 4 days between pressing the shutter button and it going 'click'

10x optical zoom was one of the things which drew me to it but to be honest may be a little OTT and 4-6 times will probably be ample.
I have a new Sony DSC-T33 (not T3) and it is awesome. Big screen and virtually no "shutter-lag", very good image quality (5.1MP).

Downsides:- Not as much optical zoom, Proprietry Sony memory media.

However all in all a very good camera, I got one for £235 on eBay with warranty.

Ben

·
Registered
18,120 Posts
Sorry Lee, I bit the bullet and acquired a Canon 300D - fantastic quality but its 3 times the price of the S5100. :(

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
What's a D20 :D. I bought a 20D with lens for £750ish in New York last year. The money you save pays for the trip!

Lee, what do you want to take pics of? The price for the 5100 is good and it's generally a good camera.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DaveG said:
Lee, what do you want to take pics of? The price for the 5100 is good and it's generally a good camera.
Just general type stuff Dave, i don't think i am going to do better for the money?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts