Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to see how people are getting on with the new Shell SUL fuel replacement OPTIMAX ?

I have been using it since the day it launched and I have found it to be relatively good. I have however noticed that it has made my car quieter :( Has Anyone else noticed this?

I have an EVO VI GSR with HKS Filter, HKS Dump Valve and a Ralliart Grp N Exhaust. I think the car has also had the Ralliart remap and when using SUL in the past it sounded much louder than running on Optimax!

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this... Also, I have noticed improved fuel consumption (I am now consistently getting about 195 miles out of a tankful as opposed to the previous 170-180) :) :) :) !!!!!!!!!!!

Interested in anyone elses views on this...

Cheers

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does the increased economy outweigh the increased cost?

(I'm assuming here that Optimax is more than regular SUL).

Haven't tried it myself yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, SUL is no longer available in the Chester area (not from Shell anyway - my preferred fuel type).

For Info, Optimax costs me 86.9p/litre - I think this is comparable to the old SUL price.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My e6 appears to idle a little higher but thats about it,fuel consumption on the last 20 squids I put in was absoluty shite probably got 100 miles from it.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've ran on 2 tanks worth of Optimax now and noticed a nice increase in mpg (which is good). Performance wise, I can't really say as I'm sure that I'm convincing myself that it feels quicker...

Up here in Altrincham, its only 79.9 p/litre as well which is cheaper than the SUL it replaced. Bargain is what I say....

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mpg seems to be about the same but feels more responsive, but Ralliart have done some dyno testing with the Extreme and Exterme S.

Optimax made 4-5bhp and 5lb/ft difference over normal SUL. So maybe I wasn't imagining things after all!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adamski

I thought that information was for loyal Ralliart customers only, you know, part of the great service that I know you and I have received! :D

But seriously, I found it good to hear that it has been properly tested. In addition, Ralliart have been speaking to Shell about what is best to do, in emergencies, when there is no SUL or Optimax. Shell recommend Lead Replacement Petrol (LRP) rather than standard 95 RON unleaded. LRP is 97 RON and as the name says, it has no lead so is safe to use. I hope this gets a few more people home without engine/catalyst damage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Catalyst, what catalyst?

Sorry Simon, shouldn't divulge that Ralliart are one of the few people who actually test their developments. Damn!! What was I thinking, sorry all just bolt on a few bits, drill a few holes and remove a few grommits you will be fine!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts