Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,

Evo has half a tank of V power in it, I am doing a load of stuff so its not going to be getting started up or seeing a road for a good while...

Does fuel have a shelf life?? Should I drain the tank???

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I left the same fuel in for 16 months while I lived abroad, it started and ran fine on that. I'm not saying it's a particularly good idea, and I would drive it off boost as much as poss when you next use it, until you need to fill up again, but they don't come to any harm from it.

On mine, this was about 6 years ago, it also doesn't tend to get used at all between Sept and March the following year, I never drain the fuel, and never have a problem.

·
acting daft since 1969
19,604 Posts
V power has a shelf life in an unsealed container of 6 months ,it cost me an engine a few years ago
it no great hardship to drain it ,and and fresh when its done

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I would personally drain it, any fuel left for long periods will loose its octane rating and could corrode your plugs and cause injector issues:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
If you drive it gently until the old fuel is gone ( which is the critical part of the equation ), you won't have a problem. I've been doing this year in, year out for nearly 11 years on the same car without issue.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I'd drain before you use it not when you lay it up. Ended up with a hole rusting in a fuel tank because I left it empty. That was for 5 years though.

Either that or leave it fairly empty if not going to be that long. 20 litres of fresh v-power from a Jerry can and drive off boost for a couple of miles to let it mix.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
When I was working away, I would leave the car with less than a quarter in the tank and drive off boost until I got to a garage to fill up with fresh. Still didn't really give it hell until i used maybe another half tank and topped up from that.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
All fuel has a shelf life. I've rebuilt many race old engines fitted with carburettors because people often have a Jerry can full of fuel left over, take it to a race meeting which maybe 3 months plus away and what do you know. Pre-ignition and pop. Bye bye engine. Also if you're using octane booster you really need to use that up in one hit and not even leave it in your tank over night. If you don't believe me pour a bottle into a glass milk jar with a bit of fuel in and watch what happens in 24 hours ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can get fuel conditioner to put it in which will stop it going badly off but after a month or so it won't have the same anti knock properties.

1/4 tank with fuel conditioner then run that out on careful driving and fill with fresh is the best option.

I work on bikes, leaded used to last ages, then as the fuel has progressed over the years the shelf life has dropped drastically (based on carbed setups).

Fuel injection is more forgiving but don't give it full beans on stale fuel..

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks for replies people.. Its on half a tank at the minute. My plan was to drain it when I come to use it again and fill with fresh V power from a jerry can. Then off boost to the local shell and fill...

It would be an awful [email protected]@@ up to screw the engine !!!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Well, just fired up my evo for the first time in over 3 months. Fired up on the old fuel fine but I stopped it and put another 20 litres of fresh in just to be safe. No engines exploded as a result :smthumbup

In fact the worst/longest bit was putting the settings back into the boost controller :lol:

·
Registered
887 Posts
fuel left in car/bikes can turn to a gel/jelly if left long enough time
ive had to strip many carbs on bikes and early cars
i must admit some were left for yrs

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fuel left in car/bikes can turn to a gel/jelly if left long enough time
ive had to strip many carbs on bikes and early cars
i must admit some were left for yrs
I have heard about this? That was my original worry to be honest.. The evo is on stands now but it didn't stop me running it today for 30 mins to burn off a bit more fuel :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts