Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get an uprated fuel pump to run sustained boost of about 1.45 BAR as the car feels like it is leaning out at the top end of the rev range.

Which pump is best? How is it accessed? Is it under the black covers under the rear seats? Easy to fit?

Advice please.

Jon

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Jon,
the biggest cost of a new fuel pump is the labour :(

I havn't really heard anything bad about any of the after market fuel pumps PE for example do one, so do Ralliart (or Global performance, whatever).

A cheaper solution could be to re-wire the standard pump, you may find that this is enough for you, I can't remember what flow rates the re-wire will go up to or what you need for 1.45, maybe HH6 can answer :)

R

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Jon,
Firstly, how do you know you are running lean at the top end? Have you had your car on a wide band lambda analyser to confirm this is the case?

To run with 1.45 bar constant you will need approx. 100-105 litres per hour of fuel.
The standard pump is rated by mitsubishi as supplying 150 lph and so rewiring it to provide it with full voltage will probably be all you need at the moment.

If you do go for an aftermarket pump then all of the ones mentioned by Ryan appear to work.

The standard pump is an internal pump and to change it you need to remove the fuel tank to get at the pump (I think).

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
jon

i have just had this done at dragon, i have a sytec pump, speak to wai on msn, he know how to do it

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had it on a Air/Fuel meter yet. It does not pink/ping or anything. It just feels like the power is a bit wavy and fuel seems starved at higher revs. Could be due to crap mapping on behalf of Ralliart I suppose. I could clean the plugs and go for a blat to see what colour deposits they had as a rough indication I suppose.

Thanks for the info on the pump flow rate. I had heard so much bullshit about it and knew that it could flow 150 lph but was not sure what it would be flowing at current boost levels. At least some people know what they are talking about. Cheers mate.

Lee,

Are you saying wai knows how to re-wire the pump or he installed a new pump for you? I really can't be botthered to drop my tank and take the prop shaft out just to change the fuel pump.

Lee and Handy Andy to the Rescue! Cheers chaps.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Jon,
Best thing to do is get it checked on a lambda reader first and then go from there. If it's not running lean then you will probably be OK with what you've got. An alternative is to measure the fuel pressure before the regulator and see if this drops off when you get up the rev range. If it does then it means that the pump is running out of puff.

Other things to check before doing the pump though (if it is running lean) are a possible blocked fuel filter or a slightly dirty injector.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Purple,as Andy said get the car checked.There is more to fuelling than just a pump.I have the Apexi Afc fuel computor plus uprated pump(Walbro)and FSE regulator.The flow rates of the Walbro are 250lph and it is a very popular and reliable pump.

Can you tell us what other mods you have,it would help pointing you in the right direction.

Regards Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
pe have a graph of flow rate vs pressure on their site. it think it is for the 5 as it shows 120lph @ 3bar ~43psi
at that boost you would need to be at 3.7bar (2.25 |PLS| 1.45) |PLS| say .3 for losses (pipes, filter rail, etc) so allow 4 bar
at 4 bar the flow rate is about 1.3l per minute |EQU| 78lph
multiply by 150/120 for 6 pump |EQU| 97.5

oops not enough

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew,
Is that flowrate running at 11.7-12 volts or is it running the full 14 volts you can get from rewiring the pump.
I suspect it'll be the first one.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry other mods are;

-BLITZ Front Pipe
-De-Cat
-BLITZ Cat back
-BLITZ Induction Kit
-BLITZ SBC-ID
-Ralliart Sports ECU
-ARP Bolts

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
andy
it doesn't actually say but presume it is 12 volts too, i did call them but were un helpful technical spec wise
once my car is back together i will flow test the 6 pump at various pressures and at 12 and 14 volts
should have done this ages ago
have also got a new pump! not necessarily because i think i need one (currently rewired) but because ralliart nz were having a sale
will flow this one said to be good for 550hp-will see
also if the cams work then i may still not have enough fuel
am also thinking about a td06-22g hybrid in the future so will need more fuel for that

purple
your hunch is probably correct, in any case marginal, if u have i on a dyno then could run a temp wire from the battery to the pump to see what effect this has

andrew

1 - 11 of 11 Posts