Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rewired the pump so instead of running on 11.5 - 12 volts its now running on 13.5 to 14 volts.

The result is that i've gone from lean to rich, lambda has jumped from mid 7's to mid 8's and egt at top of 4th and amp; 5th has come down 50C. Now peaks at 900 instead of 950. Boost is 1.5 held, 1.7 peak.

Nice and at $45 NZ for bits, good value.

Car is marginally slower (about .5 second longer to go from 3000 to 7000 in 4th gear). Should be able to add more timing (except critical 4500 to 5500 zone where i still have slightly too much) to recover this and possibly make it even faster.

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well done andrew, what kind of duty cycle are you getting now ?

how are you measuring your lambda readings ? throught the ecu or do you have a tuning module. what i mean with through the ecu is are you looking at the tuning module and oxy readings etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to the people that suggested this!

Michael

No need to remove tank at all, simply run a heavyish cable (10 gauge) from battery positive, through firewall, add relays and fuse and then down left side of car at edge of carpet, under trim, under backseat, through left side pump inspection hatch and tap into the wiring. I've also got another wire coming back that i connect my voltmeter to.

You will need an adjustable ecu to retune afterwards.

Sam

Haven't changed the fuel map yet so still 99% (at max map pressure)! (I am not using autotune). A tuning philosophy could be to turn fuel on full and then add boost and timing to suit, otherwise you are not making as much power as you could.

Will reduce fuel below 4500 and add more timing, leave the same from 4500 to 5500 (as still can't run much timing here) and add more timing above 5500. Will lean off the rest of the (cruise) map as it was fine before and is now too rich. Did have it real lean at cruise which made a big improvement to fuel consumption.

Will also be making further changes to map; to keep turbo spooled when lift off above 3000 (add fuel/remove timing on 1xx zone) and to give faster spool below 3000 (remove all timing through spool up zones).

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew, quick question, why has this increased your in gear times. Better EGT, slightly richer is this what u'd expect?

Still unsure out of all methods of tune ie most boost less advance or more advance and less boost, rich better EGT but how rich is best? any comments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chuck

Yeah its a question of juggling the 3 variables to find the best combination.

I expected it to be slower running richer with no other changes. Leaner is faster because it will burn hotter and quicker! But the hotter it burns the more chance of melting something and the faster it burns the closer you are to detonation (detonation it burns instantaneously ie explodes).

Advance will make power so you need to find ways of running as much as possible. If all else fails then decrease boost, but try increasing fuel first. Adding fuel also cools the intake charge so it gives an intercooling effect and helps prevent detonation this way too.

EGT will also fall if you advance timing (but cylinder head temp will go up) as more mixture is burnt in the engine. Richining up will lower egt but if you go to far then it will rise again due to excess mixture burning in the pipe.

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andrew

Which wire is it you connected your heavy duty feed to ?

Re - Wiring on 6 pin plug on top of n/s fuel tank cover

Large Black |EQU| earth
Large Black / Blue |EQU| main pump feed ? is this the one
Small black / red |EQU| initial supply to pump on start up

other 2 small diameter wires ( top two in plug ) sender wires for guage

Please can you confirm this is correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dave

blue black - that is correct

since then i have gone down from 26 to 23 on master which leaned the map off a bit and since finally solving the earthing problem, my O2 looks very nice

(if you haven't got a link then this wont mean much)

acording to a (very) rough rule of thumb by link this combo should be good for about 360

calculation pump is 150 at 12 v add 20% |EQU| 180, link say 100 per 200 hp|EQU| 360

andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts