Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neil has just phoned. Please guys fill your cars up asap as there is a blockade at Stanlow.

Off to fill ours up now.

Trina

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stu8 said:
filled up just in case, Ta

Stu
No problems at all Stu.

Just spent £44.50 myself on optimax. Full tank plus a jerry can stollen from my dads. My need is much greater than his lawnmowers. lol

·
Registered
878 Posts
Evo1man said:
No problems at all Stu.

Just spent £44.50 myself on optimax. Full tank plus a jerry can stollen from my dads. My need is much greater than his lawnmowers. lol
The problem with the fuel protest last time was not the actual 'blockading' of the depots but the fact that 1000s of people overreacted and went out and filled up in a blind panic. The simple fact was that, had everyone just carried on as they did and filled up as they would have normally, then the impact would have been pretty much zero.

Looks like some people never learn :rolleyes:

James.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts
jcremonini said:
The problem with the fuel protest last time was not the actual 'blockading' of the depots but the fact that 1000s of people overreacted and went out and filled up in a blind panic. The simple fact was that, had everyone just carried on as they did and filled up as they would have normally, then the impact would have been pretty much zero.

Looks like some people never learn :rolleyes:

James.
totally agree. Panic buying in it's element.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last time this happened I left it and never filled up at all.

I ended up running out of fuel and having to walk everywhere for the last 3 days before everywhere got back to normal. Taking kids to school then 1hr late for work every day as it's a 7 mile walk from the kids school and then in reverse in the evening. So I ended up owning the company nearly a days work or lose a days holiday.

I only fill the car up once a week. But with running around I have got to do this week I know that I am going to need more than a full tank. I am not getting caught out again.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Evo1man said:
Last time this happened I left it and never filled up at all.

I ended up running out of fuel and having to walk everywhere for the last 3 days before everywhere got back to normal. Taking kids to school then 1hr late for work every day as it's a 7 mile walk from the kids school and then in reverse in the evening. So I ended up owning the company nearly a days work or lose a days holiday.

I only fill the car up once a week. But with running around I have got to do this week I know that I am going to need more than a full tank. I am not getting caught out again.
Yes - but the reason why you ran out was because of all these idiots that panic buy at the slightest whiff of a problem (if you ever want to see panic buying at it's best/worst then go to Florida when someone mentions 'Hurricane') . What you are doing by saying " Please guys fill your cars up asap as there is a blockade at Stanlow." is feeding to the hysteria. If I run out of petrol cos of these people, I'll know who to blame :D

James.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Excercise in Social Engineering:

Create a serious sounding and believable email about a massive sugar shortage due to drought / pestilence / fire in the major sugar producing countries. Tell them to get an extra bag or 2 in as supply won't be able to cope with demand in a couple of weeks, and it'll be a few months before production is back up to normal. CC all your mates and colleagues with the instructions to tell their friends.

Watch as people suddenly start buying all the sugar they can and an artificial sugar shortage is created just by panic buying. :rolleyes:

However 90% of people are too greedy and self-absorbed to stop and think about their actions, so I'm confident that we'll have another fuel shortage just because everyone goes mad buying excess fuel. God forbid they should have to think about just not driving everywhere and curtailing vehicle use instead. :eek:

PS given the massive panic buying we are going to be seeing over the next week or so, exactly what message are we sending the fuel companies? We are showing them, in no uncertain terms, that without fuel the entire country collapses. We are reinforcing for them just how important their product is. We are convincing them that they can in fact set the price at whatever they like and we will pay it, because we have no choice and we rely totally on them.

How is that going to make fuel cheaper, exactly? :confused:

Oh yeah, it's not. It's going to make it more expensive, because it will reinforce in the publics mind how important fuel is and how we have to pay whatever they charge if we want to drive to work in the morning. If I was Shell or BP, I would be organising one of these every year and raising the price by 5% each time. The government won't be inclined to stop it because they get 4% of that raise in fuel tax.

Think I'll apply to Shell to be a Fuel Blockade Project Manager, should be worth good wedge that job :cool:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote from the Beeb new item: "The protest was made up of 14 tractors and about 20 people on foot and began at about 0500 BST."
I think they might need to try just a little bit harder to disrupt the fuel supplies for the entire UK...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Can't answer on the amount of people or vehicles doing the protest. As I have just let you people know what has gone on as Neil's yard is based in ellesemere port refinery.

Ok yes people do panic buy. And yes I have filled ours up today should have been the usual trip on Saturday but didn't get around to it. The only extra fuel I have got is £10 worth in a Jerry can. Which if I drive sensibly (yeh right) and stay off the boost I shouldn't need it.

The general public don't need an excuse to panic buy. Watch the supermarket shelves empty this weekend as its bank holiday, it's the same every bank hol and Easter & Christmas. And the only extra stuff I get is extra milk during those periods.

My exact words to Neil was why now as the fuel prices in our area have dropped not increased.

We haven't got a second car just two bikes which are off the road at the mo otherwise I could use that and I wouldn't have bothered getting a bit extra fuel. Even if my bike was on the road I couldn't use it as I can't legally get the two kids on the bike to get them to school.
and as for curtailling vehicle use its not possible where we live m8 we dont all live in built up areas.our nearest shop is about 5 miles away down country lanes with no footpaths and no we are not on a bus route.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I admit it I'm selfish. I filled my car up just in case. Those people who are better than me can preach at me when I drive past them at the bus stop :crackup: :crackup:

...........I've not really but if I wasn't going on holiday I would :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a bit of inside info for you,today was farmers for action jumping the gun.before long we WILL have refinerys in scotland wales and england blockaded.this has come from a very reliable source.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Eyup guys.

I work down on the site and couldn't get into work this morning, lol! It was worst around 06:30ish but seemed to chill pretty quicky. Don't think THIS ONE is gonna last but there will be more soon I'm sure. Our tankers were not affected in any way today.

The Police looked like they were buzzing off it.... as if it had made a boring Monday morning interesting at least!! Seemed a bit blown out of porportion reallyas traffic kept flowing all day. ;)

Once the hauliers get involved it'll be more serious. The farmers probably had some free time after milking finished.

AiD

·
Registered
436 Posts
stu8 said:
The farmers probably had some free time after going bust :(

stu
True matey I do feel for em and certainly gave em a toot in support. I know from experience how hard they work.
The cost in this country sucks ass but unfortunately the blockades will only start having a big effect when the big boys get involved. Sad but true. :( :( :(

AiD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts