Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the octane of NUL and SUL in the UK? In Turkey SUL is 95 RON !!! Can I use it in the EVO 6 Makinen?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The fuel Octane in the UK is 95 for Unleaded and 97 for Super Unleaded. As you may know, the Evo VI was designed to run on Japanese high Octane fuel which is rated at 100 RON, so although the car will run ok on 97, many people still use Octane booster such as Millers for optimum performance.

Never use 95 unless you have your ECU remapped to run on the lower grade fuel.

I hope that answers your question..

MS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had a fax from Co-ordsport which states that an unmodified 6 should work satisfactorily on unleaded as the fuel computer alters the mix / iginition etc automatically, but they can't say what will happen over three years as no one has run a 6 for that long!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have to agree with IOM Evo on this after talking to Ralliarts representative at Oulton last Friday. I am no expert but-
What he said was that Evo's are programmed to run very rich, almost double what they need to in order to make up for different octanes around the world. Hence poor fuel consumption.
The car is sold in Turkey where I think he said that they use 93 octane.
The Evo 6 is the first Evo that has a learning ecu that can detect what octane it is being run on within 30 seconds of starting up and then alter timing etc. so that the car can run safely on the fuel. The only thing that will occur is a slight loss of performance.
I know there are people out there that will disagree but that is what I was told and have just filled up with NUL for next weeks commuting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't go down the NUL route if you've got a Ralliart car - I think the warranty says it doesn't apply if you use anything other than SUL. How they could tell is anyone's guess.

Mind you, I think the Ralliart warranty ceases to apply the first time you drive it over 20 mph anyway

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tried to fill mine with AVGAS but the restrictor wouldn't let the pump down!

As said in my previous message, co-ordsport said could not say how the engine would be after three years as no-one had done so.

They would be able to tell if they wanted to by looking at the deposits in the engine, exhaust etc.

I suspect that if they found you had been running 95RON and not 97RON (What a massive difference!) warranty would be voided.

Interesting dilemna - do you go for the Power-Engineering ECU remap (to 95RON) which definately voids warranty or leave it and run 95RON if you can't get 97RON (v. difficult here, blow the engine and Ralliart void the warranty because you haven't being running SUL!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the answers. Thanks! My Evo Makinen will be arriving next week. In the mean time I spoke to Mitsubishi Turkey and they told me that the ECU was reprogrammed in Japan prior to shipping! Can this be? Do you think I should beleive them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Save Avgas for off road use.If caught on highway you can be heavily fined to huge sum.Smells different than unleaded.
I always keep 20 litres in my shed incase of emergency and off road.
The car does run sweet with it in though.
Even the cossie boys won't run modded with 95ron if booting it.
You had might as well use the best avalable and not have to worry if damage is being done.performance is down with 95ron.I notice it straight away.
Running with some wynns octan 10|PLS| ,will push RON up by 2-5 points on full tank 325ml bottles.mix with 95ron to save money ,but I put it with 97 to get to 100 cotane.

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does all this NUL and SUL apply to the EVO 1V ?
Also if I have no Cat can I use ordinary Octain Booster ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Evos 1 to 6 run out here in Jamaica with 95 without problems, but if I had 97 available would certainly use it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evos 1 to 6 run out here in Jamaica with 95 without problems, but if I had 97 available would certainly use it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used NUL (95 rating) for 40,000 miles / 2 years in an Evo 4 GSR with no problems (April 1997 to May 1999)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clive ,
From alot of postings in the past on octane,and talking to motor sport companies,as the car is mapped for 100ron, getting as close to it ,makes the car run better,smoother power delivery.I dare say running the 95, if the car is treated with care .But booting the thing to near limmits day in day out,its more of precautionary. Better be safe than sorry.I don,t always run octane boost,its only when i have some loose change rattling away in my pocket.
It does make a difference to the performance and you know the ECu is getting what its mapped for.

cheers

Paul s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take your point, Paul.

My point is that the Evo4 ran fine on 95 RON NUL and was more than fast enough for normal road use (and to win the class at Curborough at a Sprint Meeting), not that 95 RON gives ultimate performance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
paul s were do you get the wynns octane booster from. if you have a a phone number that would be great. I was recommended to run super at all times by Mark from MAD if not avaliable get wynns but car runs fine up to the limiter on normal unleaded!!
cheers for any help
GARY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gary,

I bought the wynns from my local Discount motoring shop.
Its the wynns Octan 10|PLS| which I bought recently.
Have used millers ocatane boost.
Which can be obtained in bulk cheaply .
check http://[email protected]
Type into search octane boost.and i think [email protected] gets a good deal.
Wynns have a site address but doesn't give any details on the Uk spec product.Have a hunt around if you live in a big city,or close to one.
Cost £3.25 310ml bottle for full tank .2-5 points increase .

cheers

Paul s

Ps will post ant more details that I find.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have 3 boxes of Millers going for 25 quid a box (10 bottles). Cheshire area but will be at Ralliart open Day on 11th Nov if interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the following link might be interesting http://bbs.22b.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000610.html. It's about the Evo 6 that is run for Evo Mag. It was mapped for 95RON and allegedly it's thrown a connecting rod .

Please read the thread if you're thinking of going down the 95RON. I must stress that the cause of the fault hasn't as yet been released, so lets not start jumping to conclusions!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m confused by what I am reading in this thread.

The ECU in any of the cars discussed here are capable of varying fuel mixture, timing and boost. If I fill my tank with 95 RON will the ECU not compensate by retarding timing and limiting boost to keep the engine detonation free?

My understanding is that RON is essentially a measure of a fuels resistance to detonation. The highe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.