Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles should you get out if an E6 with the fuel light on. I only ask because I got to work this morning and in a flap forgot my wallet. I have approx 20 miles to get home(!?!?!?!?!!?) The fuel light has come on!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
You can get 30-40 miles safely but probably a bit more if you drive carefully. I go by the trip meter, 230 miles is the maximum I have had and still had well over a gallon left.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Just drive super careful - light throttle, highest gear possible, max 55mph, coast where possible, avoid braking, draught big vehicles - can get fantastic mileage compared to normal hooligan driving.

I once managed 400 miles in an EX2000 when I was skint and couldn't afford another tankful that month. Followed HGV's on motorway at 55mph - opened window and checked with hand that I was in the bubble of the slipstream, left-foot constantly covering the brake pedal. Awesome mpg considering I usually got 170 miles from 45 litres. Must be my Scottish ancestors!

Found a scientific paper once that had methods for econo-runs in standard cars. Best mpg was had by accelerating flat out to 60mph then turning off engine and coasting to a standstill. Not the fastest method of travel - but worth remembering if you're in a low fuel tight spot.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
country lanes on the way home - I wonder what sort of 'bubble' you get behind a Tractor? lol

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Best mpg was had by accelerating flat out to 60mph then turning off engine and coasting to a standstill

If the ECU in the Evo is half-decent, it should cut off all fuel on overrun (i.e. when you lift off the throttle with drive engaged). Same effect as switching off the engine in theory.

Anyone know if the Evo does this or not. Certainly most modern normally-aspirated cars do.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I did 3 laps of Oulton with the light on,and run out of petrol as I came in the pits I would'nt like to trust it on the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Well? Did you make it??

The fuel gauge on the E6 shows for 40 litres, the tank holds 50 litres. (It's about the only thing I know) :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
If the ECU in the Evo is half-decent, it should cut off all fuel on overrun (i.e. when you lift off the throttle with drive engaged). Same effect as switching off the engine in theory.

True enough - but that is engine braking conditions - to coast out of gear and keep the engine running requires fuel to keep idle going. Better to switch it off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
But make sure that you don't turn it all the way off so that the first corner you come to you get the dreaded steering lock go click and then its hello hedge / pavement etc etc

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
MADE IT!

Typically everything was against me on the way home..

Traffic pulling out of work
Traffic lights
Broken down car on a bridge before the cross-country leg of my journey
-empty country lanes-
traffic lights
traffic lights
bloody traffic lights - who invented em!!

HOME - Run in get wallet and drive 2 miles to my local Shell garage

delight at putting £25 of Optimax(!)!(!)!(!)

Pull out of the garage an [email protected]!king floor it (HUGE grin!)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
True enough - but that is engine braking conditions

That's exactly what I was talking about.

to coast out of gear and keep the engine running requires fuel to keep idle going. Better to switch it off.

That's exactly what I wasn't talking about.

My point was that coasting in-gear uses exactly as much fuel as switching the engine off with most modern ECUs (except the former will slow you down more quickly than the latter so you probably can't go quite as far).

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Original Post:
But make sure that you don't turn it all the way off so that the first corner you come to you get the dreaded steering lock go click and then its hello hedge / pavement etc etc

Andy
i.e. don't take the key out ;)

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
delight at putting £25 of Optimax(!)!(!)!(!)

Wow petrol must be cheap where you live! Normally costs me about £35 to fill up on Optimax.

Incidently I will never turn off the ignition while coasting along ever again. I did it once in my Elise in a cemetry at about 10mph and totally knackered the speedo :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts