Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3,000 revs my car seems to have a 'fuel cut' and the more the throttle is pressed down the car finally would come to a halt.

This is quite a serious problem and noone has an idea what it is. Noticed water in the fuel, treated this problem and still the same.

I have an Evo 1 and once the green boost light comes on, the 'fuel cut' kicks in.

I would really appreciate anyones input as to how and why this problems has occured.

Mitsubishi recomends a new ECU, but I don't agree with this.

This fault was sujested to be the 'Speed Sensor' but then was told by another garage that Evo 1-3 do not have speed sensors.... is this right?

Also have noticed different coloured fuel injectors, what should the normal colours be ie. grey, yellow and also in which order....??

What would you recommend if the car it tapping alittle, embarrssing when pulling up and this tapping is heard by others...!!

Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Lady lancer lover

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re:Fuel cut after 3,000 revs,

this may be completely wrong but if it starts to miss and carry on when it comes on boost then the high power circut to the fuel pump may not be working

andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:Fuel cut after 3,000 revs, major driving

It could be an air/fuel or ignition problem. Check the following:

Check all the spark plugs, ignition leads and coil for correct operation or damage.
Check the fuel system for correct operation (injectors, fuel pressure, fuel filter etc.)
Make sure there are no air leaks in the intake system.
Check the boost pressure and boost control system.
Check the turbocharger for damage/free running.

You are certainly right about the ECU, I wouldn't bother with a new one before getting the mechanical side checked out as ECU's rarely go wrong. Unfortunately garages have the annoying habit of replacing bits without really tracing where the fault is first, it is the easy way out and they make more money out of you that way as well!
Try to find a garage that really knows about Evo's, state your rough location and I am sure someone on here can come up with a good garage fairly near to you.

The tapping noise is most likely the hydraulic tappets, get someone who knows about engines to have a listen to be sure. Tappet rattle is not really that serious and is more of an annoyance than a major problem. Try changing the oil and filter (use a Champion one) and see if it makes a difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:Fuel cut after 3,0problem.

Strong possibility that the waste gate actuator or boost solenoid is faulty , next likely culprit wud b a sticking waste gate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

ladylancerlover.
if you are the same person i think you are you forgot to mention that your car has a lot of 'trick' bits on it , may make a differance to these guys recomendations .

my car is also playing up at the moment (e6), wont run with the air con ,and has been stuttering/stalling (lights going out while driving)and has not been ideling well (hunting) booked in to dealers tuesday .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel cut after 3,000 revs

tried (gradually) Reddex in the fuel system, and low and behold the bloody car is now going 80% better.

Not a long term treatment though.

Thanks everyone for your comments, still curious about the colour of the injectors?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hi,
Did you manage to get the problem solved? I have an 1800RS that is experiencing the same problem

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.