Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the air con on my car has 3 settings, as i have no manual i am not entirely sure what the differance is. i know one is on and one is not but what does the eco setting do. is it economy ?. With
the wrx i had the mpg was appaling when using the air con for long periods. so far the evo doesnt seem to differ with it on or off. any experiences you have had.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On my GSR it works something like this:

Off - No a/c although the climate control will still work to regulate cabin temperature.

On - Just what it says, the compressor runs all the time if the climate control needs it.

Eco - Compressor only on when engine is under load as regulated by the climate control. This is apparently the most economical way of doing it as the coolant temp will on rise slightly while off throttle but still provide plenty of cool air. I think the only time you'll notice Eco not being as chilly as On is when sitting in traffic in hot weather.

I think I figured out pretty quickly that Eco is fine for 95% of the time. Don't be tempted to leave it in the 'Off' position during the winter like I did, the self lubricating bearings on the clutch/compressor will dry out and shag the pump if you do!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't be tempted to leave it in the 'Off' position during the winter like I did

Personally I intend to leave mine in the off position as much as possible - summer or winter. Air con doesn't agree with me - it takes too much moisture out of the atmosphere. What I was always told though was that as long as you let it run for at least 30 mins a week to keep everything lubricarted then you will be fine.

I last ran mine on Friday for the prescribed 30 mins and felt pretty unwell by the time I switched it off again :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts