Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned an Evo VI previously, but had to sell it back in 99 (nightmare)... I have just looked into buying a 99 Evo VI, but it has a Blitz Exhaust, HKS Air Filter and several other mods fitted.

I can recall that my old 'standard' car was a bit heavy on the old fuel anyway, but wondered if anyone out there could offer any advice as to what sort of difference to the economy this sort of tuning kit has?

I don't expect to get 30 m.p.g. out of any Evo, but I do relative milage and don't want to have to get into a tuned car if it's only going to do 10 m.p.g (such a small range with the size of the fuel tank).

Also, does anyone out there run their car on Premium UL Fuel as opposed to SUL Unleaded?

Just interested on what other 'tuned Evo' owners have to say about this.

Many Thanks

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
John,

I've never seen a discussion on difference in consumption between modified and stock cars.

My view is that if you can afford the EVO, you can afford the petrol http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

[URL]This thread[/URL] (that's a link) provides some background.

On the UL / SUL question, the overwhelming consensus is SUL all the time. If you're stuck, put in a few quid's worth of UL in and drive easy 'til you can get SUL. A bottle of octane booster in the glove box is also not a bad idea.

Cheers,

Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can notice a difference between a standard evo and a exhaust/filter/boost evo in fuel consumption,it will consume about 20% more.
But it will work better!

Anyway I will trade your blitz exhaust and air filter and any other modifications for as new contition standard parts if you want

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Just for info, I know two other people with Evo VI's and they both run them on UL. The trick is to use a high quality fuel source.

The best is BP and regular UL has an octane level of around 98.5 (even though the official BP figure is 95 Ron). In Japan, the fuel quality IS MUCH RICHER than even SUL so you will never be running the car on exactly the quality of fuel for which it was designed anyway.

I ran my old VI on UL all the time, but always BP and never crap fuel such as Tescos own...

How much is SUL these days anyway, last time I looked it was far too much for any performance difference that I think anyone can anticipate. I am also led to believe that a Motorsport Outlet in Crewe, Cheshire run their all of their race Evo's on BP Fuel without any problems, so that should be testament to its quality?

Interested in more views on this topic (desperate attempt to increase the range of a great car with a v.small fuel tank)!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Original Post:
The best is BP and regular UL has an octane level of around 98.5 (even though the official BP figure is 95 Ron).
John, all the fuel in a certain area comes from the same refinery and as such is all the same. Believe all the 'additive' hype if you want.

While the refinerys have a legal obligation to ensure that their fuel meets the relevant British Standard and may 'enrich' their product to make sure of this, I doubt they will do it to quite this extent. Maybe 0.5 points higher but not 3.5, that takes a lot more refining and/or (expensive) additives.

I'd like to see some independant testing of UK fuel (by RON and MON) to clear a few things up, particularily the supposed degradation in SUL over time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I donet see how BP petrol would be so different to every one elses as BP probably uses the same 'local' refinery as Esso,tesco etc as they all use one anothers refinerys to cut down on transport costs?
as for the performance moter sport outlet in Crewe if its the one i am thinking of its behind a BP station!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,
I'm in the lucky position to have an Evo IV as a company car and even more fortunate to have the fuel paid for as well. I have to use either a BP or Shell garage with my fuel card and have found BP to be inferior to Shell, so much so that I drive 10 miles out of my way past 2 BP garages to fill up with Shell SUL. When I up my boost slightly (from 0.9 to 1.1) the car 'pinks' dangerously with BP SUL, not the case with the Shell fuel!!!!!
As to the fuel comsumpstion, I lost about 20 miles per tank with a Ralliart exhaust, Dump valve, air filter and running slightly higher boost.

Dom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My VI consistantly does 150 miles to the reserve light from full tank , so thats about 15 - 16 to the gallon , but I drive quite hard and cannot resist feeling the force when on twisty roads http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
My car has :- Blitz /PE hybrid exhaust , no cat, Blitz air filter , HKS BOV , HKS alloy intercooler pipes , PE ECU remap , 1.4 bar boost , runs happily on standard un-leaded.

Don't have a clue how some drivers get 20-30 to the gallon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evoboy,
You answered you own question!

My car has :- Blitz /PE hybrid exhaust , no cat, Blitz air filter , HKS BOV , HKS alloy intercooler pipes , PE ECU remap , 1.4 bar boost , runs happily on standard un-leaded.
Modified car hence lower mpg

Don't have a clue how some drivers get 20-30 to the gallon.
Non-modified car the mpg is quoted as 23mpg (in Autocar I think), I usually get 24mpg. I don't drive like a granny either and let rip when the conditions allow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
40 litres lasts me about 135 miles |EQU| 15 mpg. That's driving like a pussy as well (Rover75 owner as well). Just a few mods - nothing extreme! As they say buy an EVO and expect very poor consumption figures and ALWAYS where possible run it on SUL!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know we’ve all been down this road before, but I’m with EvoBoy, probably because my car has similar mods to his, with the exception of the full PE exhaust (I’ve not got the technical know how to create such an exhaust as his) and uprated fuel pump (although he was attempting to source one at much less than I paid).

My fuel consumption is unchanged from when it was a standard car, i.e. 16 mpg, however I drive, so consequently I never drive like a kitten, as there’s no point, other than the moral and legal one! And who has morals driving an EVO?

The PE re-map is designed to run on 95 RON fuel and with my configuration, still puts out 334 BHP and 305 lb. of torque.

The only problem with your innocuous thread is that the issues of 95 RON v 97 RON and Power Engineering usually spark a very lively debate.

Also many believe, as has been said above, that all fuel comes from the same refineries.

All I can say is that I am more than pleased with the PE re-map, their service and products.

Speak as you find!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SilverRS,
I don't call 160mph tip toeing around http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > (obviously not on the public highway though officer)
I usually cruise on long straight multilane roads (careful wording required there [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/wink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) at a ton up (obviously not on the public highway though officer)
and get a good blast in when conditions allow on twisty single lane roads (obviously not on the public highway though officer).
I stick to the limits when it is wise to do so and explore the limits when it is safe to do that.

I still get 24mpg average (thats average it doesn't mean I get it ALL the time).

Obviously when stuck in traffic there is no point having the turbo going into reheat [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > but that is what the torque and 5th gear is for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I bought car the MPG it would do never crossed by mind. Too lazy and not that bothered to work out the MPG, I just know from pressing the mileometer when i fill up that it does around 200 miles to the tank, every tank fill.
Problem is I may have to do a Hull to Bristol and back every weekend soon, this my mean I am pushed on to trains, but i carnt argue with £15 return ticket. Probably safer in Hull than Bristol!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HH6,
Just noticed that you suddenly have 4 gold stars and the word moderator above it (Only just noticed). Does this mean your like a school monitor now, teachers pethttp://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >
Does this mean you wont get deleted if the system crashs again, cause thats not fair[img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thing is Heave , it did 15-16 mpg BEFORE mods,and people with un-modded cars are claiming 20-30 mpg.
S'pose I shud be happy with the same before and after mpg with more performance

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Evoboy,
I think your car is weird!
Same mpg before and after mods suggests that your OE map must have been a bit out! 16mpg with your current mods is an acceptable figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The missus drives our Tommi Mak daily and never gets over 20mpg, but there again she says she gets it past the redline asap.

Roger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Considering how rich the factory map runs the standard car , then maybe it isn't so weird , it's obviously making better use of it's fuel now , which was Honda's forte in the turbo F1 era.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed Evoboy but then why is mine so much better than yours with the same factory map?....weird

1 - 20 of 27 Posts